dando

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
So I have two issues

1. Noise from the window over 30mph
2. Vibration around 70mph

What do I do if they say they are just normal for cars.

'the wind noise is from the motor it is normal. We have a chance of making it worse. It is a mass produced car but these issues are not a fault'

'the vibration is from the front motor and it's normal. Over a certain speed the car switches to rear wheel drive from all wheel drive and they noise is just the motor being driven by the wheels'

They are also supposed to have test driven the car.

Two issues.

1. Noise sounds like it is coming from the front windscreen
2. Vibration between 65 and 80 miles per hour.

I went out for a test drive with the service person and they said yes I know what those issues are straight away. When I went to collect the car today they said that those are not issues at all. They said that the wind noise is just a characteristic of the car because the cars are mass produced. It is not a fault it is just what happens when a car is mass produced. The other issue of vibration is because when the car goes over a certain speed the car switches from all wheel drive to rail drive and that vibration is the front motor being driven by the wheels.

This sounds like a load of bull to me.

What should my next move be?

Insist on taking them out in your car to demonstrate the problems.
Give them evidence that other people have had these problems looked at and fixed.
Don't accept fobbing off and if they still won't help, go to another dealer who will (it doesn't matter where you bought the car, any MG dealer can do warranty work).

They said that the wind noise is just a characteristic of the car because the cars are mass produced. It is not a fault it is just what happens when a car is mass produced. The other issue of vibration is because when the car goes over a certain speed the car switches from all wheel drive to rail drive and that vibration is the front motor being driven by the wheels.

Absoutely typical of MG UK ... they are going to get a very bad reputation for customer service IMHO and as for the secondhand values of X-Powers, well enough said !! 86 on Autotrader at the mo 😲

£1800 price drops too on ones for sale in one month :-

XP Price Drops.jpg

Last edited:
Absoutely typical of MG UK ... they are going to get a very bad reputation for customer service IMHO and as for the secondhand values of X-Powers, well enough said !! 86 on Autotrader at the mo 😲

£1800 price drops too on ones for sale in one month :-

View attachment 26195
Yes, although that is normal when the new registration comes out, second hand values drop each time.

I asked the dealership to respond in an email to explain their diagnosis. No response. Also logged a complaint with Mg customer services, no response yet.

So I have two issues

'the wind noise is from the motor it is normal. We have a chance of making it worse. It is a mass produced car but these issues are not a fault'

'the vibration is from the front motor and it's normal. Over a certain speed the car switches to rear wheel drive from all wheel drive and they noise is just the motor being driven by the wheels'

Two issues.

I went out for a test drive with the service person and they said yes I know what those issues are straight away. When I went to collect the car today they said that those are not issues at all. They said that the wind noise is just a characteristic of the car because the cars are mass produced. It is not a fault it is just what happens when a car is mass produced. The other issue of vibration is because when the car goes over a certain speed the car switches from all wheel drive to rail drive and that vibration is the front motor being driven by the wheels.

It is a load of bull. Mine's just the same, but it starts from 58 MPH. Dealer said it is a "characteristic" of the car. Utter tosh. If it was a characteristic then with a decent quality control system in place they all should have it, and they don't.

I've driven many different cars in my 55 years of driving, none have had vibration like this. It needs fixing and I'll be pursuing this further.

Gotta love the "they all do that" explanation. I would have a couple of solutions to that...

1) In that case I want to drive every XPower you ever have at this dealership
2) Arrange an XPower owners meet up at the dealers and get the person who told you "they all do that" to be a passenger in every car
3) Ask a motoring journalist (or YouTuber) to come to the dealer with you, PR departments seem to be more responsive than sales or engineering departments to customer complaints

Depending on how long you have owned the car and when you first reported the issue you also have some redress under consumer legislation

I have a LR and my vibration starts about 60 to about 80, not dramatic just a little. I though of having the front wheels rebalanced but it sounds like it’s an inherent issue!

I had a moderate vibration on collection. Happy to say that it faded to nothing over the course of 500 miles and luckily before the check booked with the garage. From what others have said I now assume it was due to flat spots having sat in the dock's carpark for 6 months before delivery.

I had a moderate vibration on collection. Happy to say that it faded to nothing over the course of 500 miles and luckily before the check booked with the garage. From what others have said I now assume it was due to flat spots having sat in the dock's carpark for 6 months before delivery.
No not true. Cars that have the problem have had different wheels and new tyre's on rebalanced and it still exists!

Last edited by a moderator:
My reply was to @Billymanta who has a Trophy LR. Any vibration problem he has will not be the same as the problems discussed here on the Xpower forum, and with any luck if his car is new, may dissappear in time on their own accord like mine did.

So I have two issues

Two issues.

Formally reject the car, that will focus their attention.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom