Dealers familiar with CCS firmware update

AmbroseIan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is there anyone who has had the CCS firmware update (ZF EV) done to allow Tesla charger use, in the North West of England or North Wales?
I would be grateful for the name of a dealership and even better a contact name.

Our Gen 1 is in tomorrow with the very helpful peeps at MG Botley (Hampshire) for its 3rd Service (1st for me) - I have already asked them to check and update the HVCC - which is the Charging system - As I had an issue on a Public charger - Connected not charging...

Hi. I just stumbled across this forum post which probably answers the question I have.
I was in a shopping centre carpark a few days ago which had a couple of free Telsa chargers. I tried charging my MG4 but it would not connect. I was wondering if the chargers were configured for Tesla only but I noticed on Plugshare that people had checked in with other EVs including BYDs and MG ZS. I was wondering why it wouldn't work with my MG4. Is this due to a firmware issue? Not sure whether it's relevant but I'm in Australia. I have the MG Excite 51 model. Although I only took delivery of the car a few weeks ago, I know the firmware is out of date as it doesn't even have One Pedal Driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering why it wouldn't work with my MG4. Is this due to a firmware issue?
I'm not 100% sure for MG4s, but for ZS snd MG5 (electric, UK), yes, it's firmware. Perhaps post in the MG4 forum.

Edit: It looks like MG4s don't need a firmware update to be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers. It can take some time after plugging in and selecting the charger ID before charging starts.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who has had the CCS firmware update (ZF EV) done to allow Tesla charger use, in the North West of England or North Wales?
I would be grateful for the name of a dealership and even better a contact name.
Asking for the problem to be fixed by asking for a firmware upgrade is a sure way for them to charge you for it.

@Miles Roberts CG at Chorley MG is your man if that's close enough - he's been doing this update for customers since June (and is on here too) !

Hi. I just stumbled across this forum post which probably answers the question I have.
I was in a shopping centre carpark a few days ago which had a couple of free Telsa chargers. I tried charging my MG4 but it would not connect. I was wondering if the chargers were configured for Tesla only but I noticed on Plugshare that people had checked in with other EVs including BYDs and MG ZS. I was wondering why it wouldn't work with my MG4. Is this due to a firmware issue? Not sure whether it's relevant but I'm in Australia. I have the MG Excite 51 model. Although I only took delivery of the car a few weeks ago, I know the firmware is out of date as it doesn't even have One Pedal Driving.
I‘ve got the same model here and have used all the charger brands, Evie, Tesla, Chargefox without problems.
The OPD update didn’t change anything regarding charging from memory. Mine got it done after I’d had the car for a month or so.

@Miles Roberts CG at Chorley MG is your man if that's close enough - he's been doing this update for customers since June (and is on here too) !
I spoke to of his colleagues at Chorley Group Chorley and he said he didn’t know anything about the firmware update. Do you know if Miles is based in Chorley or Burnley?

I spoke to of his colleagues at Chorley Group Chorley and he said he didn’t know anything about the firmware update. Do you know if Miles is based in Chorley or Burnley?
Report the problem you are having, and asked for it to be fixed under warranty. How they do that is down to them.

How does one check if one has had the update?

We bought ours as an ex-demo in October, first registered in April.
I doubt it will have the latest updates as mine from late April this year doesn’t. Try it in a Tesla open charger.

How does one check if one has had the update?

We bought ours as an ex-demo in October, first registered in April.
Short of trying it at an 'open' Tesla charger you can't ( see the map in the Tesla app) ... there's no listing of component firmware versions available on the car - it has to be plugged in to the MG/SAIC system at the dealers and then it's interrogated and says what firmware is available to be updated.

there's no listing of component firmware versions available on the car - it has to be plugged in to the MG/SAIC system at the dealers
That's not quite true. There is the unofficial Thai app, which might work partially on the Mark 2 ZS EV, or you could fish out the data the hard way using a Bluetooth terminal program and an OBD2 dongle, as I show here:

But you have to be familiar with hex codes and OBD2 data frames. Or better yet, someone does this and uses the information obtained to modify the unofficial Thai app to make it work on the Mark 2.

[ Edit: It might already work with the Mark 2 ZS EV, it seems to already work with the HS and a few other models. Has anyone tried this? See the first post of the thread linked above for the Google Playstore link, or search for the eZS app. ]

That would allow everyone with a suitable dongle to know what firmware versions they have now. Only SAIC really knows what the latest applicable firmwares are, though we can guess thise if people that have had updates publish their firmware versions before and after the update.

Last edited:
I think that Miles tends to visit both branches, but Burley is the closest branch from his home address, he has mentioned in the pod cast.
Miles is conversant with the non - Tesla CCS charger software update for the Gen2 ZS EV model.
Try dropping him a P.M. via the forum, as I am sure he will be more than willing to help provide as much help as he possibly can.

Don't update unless you absolutely have to, we've been through this before.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom