Decisions decisions

Mg5van

Established Member
Reaction score
Decisions decisions.
I am a very indecisive person I can't even decide what sandwich to have at lunchtime if there's a choice.
But the time has come my smaller van is dead.😭

It's on a 17 plate and needs an engine.
Engine fitted will cost around £2500
Trade in for the van running around £6000
Insurance and MOT both due in January.

I can get hold of an ex demo exclusive standard range for around £25000
What would you do?

Probably an egg mayo or BLT for me. :D

What's the value of the van without the engine replacement? Does it run at all? How much is the MoT expected to set you back?

If the non-fixed value is next to nothing, and you're condident you can get £6K for it fixed, it sounds reasonably economic to fix it then sell/trade it in.

Unless you are seriously considering selling the existing van in a broken condition, get it fixed first then consider your options.
Have you done a running cost comparison between the two vehicles?

I have been offered £4000 as is.
It will run in limp mode there's next to no compression in cylinder 4 and crank damage so original engine is shot

That kind of makes the decision for you.
If it will cost more to fix than you would lose on a trade-in with it broken, then trade it in as it is.
You'll start to recover your MG5 investment outlay from day one through reduced running costs.

I'm sure it will pay for itself fairly quickly.
Iv just got to convince myself to part with the cash.
Some people call me tight that's not true I just don't like paying for stuff. 😆😆

Can you work on the short range though? I thought you said before you were doing 150 miles a day or did I imagine that? 🤣

You didn't imagine that it would be tight it's normally around 120 but if I get diverted it can touch 150. I was playing with the idea of getting the short range now and putting an order in for a long range later.

Hi
If you have the funds to go for the mg5 “JUST DO IT” you’ll never look back
I don’t do many miles 1200 in the first 3 months of ownership
But I know it would take me years to recover my money back but we are only here once
I enjoy driving again in my Cmax it was getting to be a drudge
Check out ev James and Kate the have mad a Mg5 into a van

Good luck on your decision
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It should hold it's value the way things are going! I doubt you'll loose out much and will save on running costs from day 1 👍

When I think about it I should change them more often. I tend to keep them to long and get next to nothing when I out them.

I like the idea of estate car based vans.
Not very practical but there inconspicuous in rammed car parks
I used to run an old R reg astra van it was bomb proof I replaced it with a low mileage 07 plate and that only lasted 1000 miles before exploding.

A van conversion like the James and Kate car above gives a lot of room and it's a great car to drive.

Only you will know if it gives you enough space though and don't forget that, as it's a car you'll have to pay company car tax on it, Inland Revenue don't care if you only ever use it for business.

A van conversion like the James and Kate car above gives a lot of room and it's a great car to drive.

Only you will know if it gives you enough space though and don't forget that, as it's a car you'll have to pay company car tax on it, Inland Revenue don't care if you only ever use it for business.
Aye my account told me that most tax years latterly. I used beautiful Citroen Berlingo multi space auto/manual diesels with rear seats n windows instead of vans to travel all over Scotland. The sheer comfort and convenience over a van totally sold the idea to me. If I was still working (if only - I loved it) I would enjoy using the 5LR
Kitted out similar to James’s from Keevely.

Not to fussed about that. My combo is a 5 seater but still classed as a van as it has no windows. Passengers hate it but I don't care because I'm in the captain's seat.
I might put some thought into racking it out. I made a double deck sliding bed for my Ranger so that affectively had a 12ft floor

I may have made the wrong decision.
The value of the van rocketed so I decided to repair. The garage I left it with told me they would have a replacement engine within a week + a couple days to plum it in.
Last week I thought I would phone for an update. When I enquired about the van there response was have you decided what you're doing with it.
I told them they were supposed to fit a recon lump and there response was still waiting for it mate. 😡 I'm fairly sure they just didn't bother ordering it. Phoned again today and still no engine. To make things worse I have now won a job I don't want and can't get out of in Maida vale so need a euro6 van.
Why didn't I just buy the bloody car.

Running around in a transit tipper isn't ideal at the moment juicey thing I only normally use when needed. IV doubled its mileage waiting for the repairs.

Another 8 days have passed and no news.
Spotted 3 white MG5's today almost one after another. One in Ongar high St,one on the four wantz and the other on the 414 just before Writtle. I now want one more than ever.
Just a little concerned I won't have enough room.🤔
I'm spending £100 on diesel every four days currently and it stings somewhat what.

Hi
Have you had a look on auto trader
There are 114 long range 5’s on there saying “available now”
248AC96B-CFF8-4A9B-8D22-131C51536A32.png

997B0A0E-4F64-4901-8E7B-2966A7968D57.jpeg

It maybe worth while sitting down and phoning around like I did in September
I found one 2.5 miles away in a new mg dealership that was just opening up
It’s worth a try if you want one
Good luck
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited: