Definitive list of updates

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is a timeline of pertinent (mainly software) update packages to the ZS EV - that we are aware of.
You can use this to try to ascertain what you have or not on your car.

Please provide updates / corrections / comments as appropriate.
I will keep this post edited and updated as necessary.

==========
12/2019
BMS (Battery Management System) Update 1

Description:
  • Fix to allow various models (Rolec/Zappi) of smart/timed chargers to work properly (able to wake the car to accept a charge)
Problems caused:
  • Not all charger models worked still

??/2020 (recall)
Drivers door wiring repair

mid??/2020
Comfort Pack 2 update (sometimes charged for by dealers)

Description:
  • Various improvements
  • Annoying bong noises reduced
  • Range now permanently displayed on dashboard
  • Outside temperature displayed
  • Information System generally updated?

07/2020 (SA015) (Now withdrawn)
BMS (Battery Management System) Update 2

Description:
  • Allows an AC charge whilst vehicle is unlocked (this is actually an update to the EVCC - onboard charger module, rather than the actual BMS module.
  • Allows some other chargers to wake the car to allow smart/timed charges.
Problems caused:
  • Can cause very long battery cell balancing times.

08/2020 (SA017)
High Voltage fuse repair

24/10/2020 (Now withdrawn)
BMS (Battery Management System) Update 3

Description:
  • Fixes long battery cell balancing times.
Problems caused:
  • Causes a lower range; fully charged voltage will drop over charging cycles, can become quite bad.
  • The battery cells are not being kept balanced as it is used/gets to a lower State Of Charge

??/2020 (For cold countries)
Battery heater update only intended for cold climates

Description:
  • Allows faster charging at very low temperatures.
  • Added a "Battery Heating Always On: OFF/ON" entry on the information system.

15/1/2021
BMS (Battery Management System) Update 4 (1230621A01)

Description:
  • Fixes low range/battery cell balancing at low State Of Charge problem.
  • Can take lots of (AC) charges & long balances to get back to full range and full voltage at full charge.
  • The fully charged voltage is now reduced to 450V (this is how you know if you have this update).

Mid 2/2021 (Latest)
BMS (Battery Management System) Update 5 (0210622EU1)

Description:
  • Unknown what changes this is for.

==========

If you have the 10/2020 "BMS 3" duff update, you should take it to your dealer asap to get it updated to the latest version. The more you use it with this duff bms version, the more your battery will become affected and the longer it will take to "fix" itself.

Regarding how the service technicians perform the updates.
From what I can glean:
On Laptop, they have to go into each ECU/module to update it:
  • perform software update, it does update part 1 of x / 2 of x etc
  • then do configuration update
Can take 40mins to 2 hours to do the updates.
If they do not update successfully each ECU/module, then you could be missing some updates. Also if one part fails/is missed, it can cause another potentially dependant update to fail. I.e. It must be done carefully!
Each of the released updates (that we know of) does not need to be applied sequentially to bring the ECU/module to the latest version, the ECU/module will just be updated with whatever is the latest version for that ECU/module.
The service technician can download data from car and send to MG technical support for help.
The software versions installed on each car are recorded on the MG system and therefore using the VIN the dealer can look it up.

Last edited:
I think that it’s a noble cause, and worth a try - however I also think that you’re on a hiding to nothing to get all the updates into an agreed order, content, features, impact and outcome - MG can’t seem to do that yet. At best it will give a flavour for what has occurred. There seem to be so many variants of the same update - possibly down to inaccurate application. I’m particulary referring to the BMS updates. Getting deeply into this area can also cause some people unnecessary anxiety. Without accurate version codes it’s almost impossible to track accurately and MG don’t seem to have those to hand. you certainly seem to have listed all the issues that I’ve heard of anyway 🙂 - however much we look into this information, we will still rely heavily on the MG dealer network to support us and ensure that our cars receive the MG recommended attention they require

Mine can only be ac charged whilst locked but takes 6+ hours to equalise which is a bit confusing .it seems like all was ok til the need to charge whilst unlocked

I going to persevere with this!
A few updates, based on new information....

updated 18/2/2021.

Last edited:
Mine can only be ac charged whilst locked but takes 6+ hours to equalise which is a bit confusing .it seems like all was ok til the need to charge whilst unlocked
What date did you get your car?
Has it had any updates, if so when was it done?

Trying to figure out where yours is in the updates timeline.
I going to guess! you have the comfort pack 2 I assume, but had this before the 7/2020 BMS 2 (SA015) update was released....

So that the information is all in one place.
This is a dump of all the ecus/modules I believe are on the car (no idea which update the version number relate to)

EPB S001
ABS 1019000000
EPS Zs11ESVf17
GWM 0026011080
ATC REL_DC_BEV_C036
PEPS ZS11SW01
DCDC F01R0A7355
VCU F01R0AJ245
PLC 1770099611
EVCC V101B02D00
ICE S160630.01
TC F01R0A7354
SCU 194136858 C0807
IPK S200425-09
RDRA 00000SW026
SRM ZS11.E1.02
BMS 0823600P09 (believe 1016620R40 is the duff 24/10/2020 update)
TPMS QY1105A812

So that the information is all in one place.
This is a dump of all the ecus/modules I believe are on the car (no idea which update the version number relate to)

EPB S001
ABS 1019000000
EPS Zs11ESVf17
GWM 0026011080
ATC REL_DC_BEV_C036
PEPS ZS11SW01
DCDC F01R0A7355
VCU F01R0AJ245
PLC 1770099611
EVCC V101B02D00
ICE S160630.01
TC F01R0A7354
SCU 194136858 C0807
IPK S200425-09
RDRA 00000SW026
SRM ZS11.E1.02
BMS 0823600P09 (believe 1016620R40 is the duff 24/10/2020 update)
TPMS QY1105A812
The EVCC is charging with doors unlocked as confirmed by Miles, but it needs to be applied before the BMS update.

The EVCC is charging with doors unlocked as confirmed by Miles, but it needs to be applied before the BMS update.
I must admit I don’t quite get this. If the EVCC is a separate module/ecu to the BMS, I don’t really see why it should need to be updated before.
Especially as some people’s cars have the bms update but not the EVCC (ac charge unlocked) update.

I can understand why they MAY need to be kept “in sync” if they can communicate potentially, but then some folks cars shouldn’t be working right now with the bms and not the EVCC.

I’d love to get my hands on the MG update system software and design, and sort it out for them!

Found this from @ScifiArgonaut and have cut & pasted here to try to keep all info in 1 place.

As they recommend Rolec Chargers I asked if they would do this free of charge and they said yes under warranty. They contacted MG technical who authorised EVCC & OBC updates applied to my car. I told them that I wanted to post what the updates where on this forum so they kindly supplied me with this...

EVCC - Electric Vehicle Charge Control
Improves compatibility with smart and timed charging systems that use PWM wake up strategy (e.g. ROLEC Smart EV). When the customer connects the charging gun to the vehicle, a timer is started within the module. This allows a charge to delay the start of charging session for upto 10 hours before the EVCC module will shut down completely. If a charge starts but then stopped within 10 minutes the timer restarts.

If the charge starts and continues for more than 10 minutes, the timer will simply run for 10 hours from when the charge gun was inserted.

The charge timer will not terminate a charge session, even if the charge is delayed until 9 hours and 59 seconds after the charging gun is connected.

OBC - Onboard Charger
Allows the vehicle to be charged on AC charging stations without the need for the vehicle to be locked. When an AC charger is connected to the vehicle the charge gun will be locked into the socket and charging will start. If the customer locks the vehicle charging will continue.

If whilst charging the customer unlocks the vehicle the charging will temporarily stop, and the charge gun will be unlocked. If the charge gun is not removed within 1 minute, the charge gun will be relocked and charging will resume.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom