Delay paying £190 car tax on EV until April 2026 (action needed before the end of March 2024)

MartinSEsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, in April 2025, EV cars switch from £0 per year car tax to £190. If your car is registered in March, you'll avoid paying it next year. But if registered in April, May or after, you just miss the cut-off and will pay £190 on renewal next year.

This method delays it for a year to March 2026. You pay £0 now, £0 in March 2025 then £190 in March 2026. The £190 payment starts on 1 April 2025.

I went to the "tax your car" government website, and re-taxed mine. You need the V5C registration document 11 digit code, I clicked on "I don't have a tax renewal letter" and agreed "I know I'm taxing it before I have to". But I re-taxed it early, in March instead of June, at a cost of £0.

It took a couple of days to update, but checking on my car's tax status, it has now switched renewal from 1 June 2024 to 1 March 2025, so therefore I avoid paying £190 for a year.

It took 5 mins, and I recommend doing it, there's no reason for everyone whose tax (currently £0) is due after April in 're-taxing' now for £0 and delaying the payment of £190 for a year. But it HAS to be done in March, ie now. The car tax web site warns you you will be paying twice by taxing early - but you just pay £0.00 twice!

I got this off an MG facebook group where they're all doing it, i tried it and it worked. You don't need to SORN the car for a day which some people thought.

Martin

Last edited:
I did it the long winded way, sorned it then went round to the post office around the corner and retaxed it, as I didn't know you could retax/renew it when it was still taxed.

Damn. I just did mine through the renewal letter. I did see this advice on another forum but thought didn't really understand it - the explanation wasn't so clear. I thought, this isn't going to work. No, it wasn't going to work. Oh well, too late now.

According to the Gov web site, my VED ( tax ) is due for renewal in April.
Date of issue for my V5C was mid March 2022.
Car is almost two years old.
I followed the instructions above by using the 11 digit number on my V5C and it returned with a confirmation number and zero pounds in the field for payment.
I have then taken a screen shot of the reference number before leaving the site.
I then returned to the web page to check on my current date of renewal and it is still showing April 2024.
I think it is going to take a couple of days for the system to update.

Last edited:
According to the Gov web site, my VED ( tax ) is due for renewal in April.
Date of issue for my V5C was mid March 2022.
Car is almost two years old.
I followed the instructions above by using the 11 digit number on my V5C and it returned with a confirmation number and zero pounds in the field for payment.
I have then taken a screen shot of the reference number before leaving the site.
I then returned to the web page to check on my current date of renewal and it is still showing April 2024.
I think it is going to take a couple of days for the system to update.

Yes, mine took three days to update, it still said 1 June 2024 for a few days then switched to 1 March 2025. And I just re-checked (search for "check if car taxed" and it's definately 1 March 2025.

NB it saves £180 not £165 as pointed out above! It's really worth doing.

Damn. I just did mine through the renewal letter. I did see this advice on another forum but thought didn't really understand it - the explanation wasn't so clear. I thought, this isn't going to work. No, it wasn't going to work. Oh well, too late now.

Hi Rolfe

So is your tax renewal date now 1 April 2025? It might be just worth going through the OP's (my) process again, saying "no tax letter" etc to see if you can re-tax it again, right now, in March. The worst that could happen is it won't let you, but I think it will (hopefully); the best that can happen is you'll pull it forward by a crucial month. And it will cost you £0 but save £180.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom