Demisting front windscreen

Dekkerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Seemed to have issues demisting last night and wondered if anyone had any tips on the best , most efficient way to do this please without unduly draining the battery. Tried various combos of fan, AC and front screen demister. Seemed to fog up quicker than a normal car though it was very foggy. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I have one of those moisture absorbers you put into the microwave and whilst it doesn't solve the issue it helps quite a bit

Last edited:
Once you've cleared it, I find a combination of using the screen vent position and low fan speed normally works OK. If humidity is particularly high use the A/C also (Economy setting if you are trying to save energy).
I've found many occasions where use of A/C was essential to keep the screen mist free and that's a trait not unique to these cars.

I tend to use the AC demist for a few seconds and then switch off to preserve battery. I've also noticed the screen tends to mist up more than any other car I've driven. somebody did explain it here a while back but I forget what they said )

Thinking of fitting a usb fan to blow air up onto the windscreen to see if that helps.

After reading about the small pieces of clear tape on the bottom of the doors covering the drain holes, I removed them and noticed the car hardly steams up now. Not sure if anyone else has noticed them??

I also read somewhere the system keeps turning on air recirculation mode, which of course will induce the misting up in cold or wet weather...

Best to keep some fresh air coming in!

I also read somewhere the system keeps turning on air recirculation mode, which of course will induce the misting up in cold or wet weather...

Best to keep some fresh air coming in!
Every time you turn off the AC or heating it goes into recirculation mode which is stupid. It's also stupid that you can't just turn on the fans by themselves.

I had a similar problem. I wiped off the inside of the windscreen with an anti fog window spray. I used a microfibre and chamois leather. Haven't had a problem since then.

I had an MG ZS ev and now own a MG5 and also own a 38 Kwh Ioniq, it has a built in auto demist function (ADS) to keep windows clear. The funny thing is people on the Ioniq forum are complaining about it! They don't like the cold air the system pushes into the cabin to clear the misting up problem. The same issue affects the Ford Focus and the Skoda Citigo in a google search. So it seems that many modern cars have this problem, it is not just an MG problem and opening a window (or A/C) maybe the easiest way to get to clear the widows.
https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/condensation.18706/ere's the link to the Ioniq forum 3 posts relating to this problem.

Window fogging up problem Hi fellow Ioniq Owners,
Winter is here and once again we all have to deal with our window fogging up quite significantly. I have owned 3 other cars but never had window fogging up like the Ioniq.
How do you deal with window fogging up in your Ioniq? Do you use any product like Rain-X antifog or anything like that? Does it help?
Window fogging up problem
HCondensation problems 'Anyone got a good way of stopping condensation on inner car windows. I find my new car very bad for condensation on inside windows when cold and it take a age to clear with fans on full. Anyone got any tips on how to reduce build up.
Have you found this to be a problematic on these models.

Auto defog annoying Is there any way to turn off the auto defogger? It’ll be cold and I’ll keep trying to put the front and leg heaters on and the car switches to auto Defog. Then if I try to switch it back to hands and feet right away, it goes back to auto defog for a few minutes. ''Auto defog annoying
Wishing everyone a great Xmas and stay safe.

Every time you turn off the AC or heating it goes into recirculation mode which is stupid. It's also stupid that you can't just turn on the fans by themselves.
You can just turn the fans on. You just turn off the AC (using the AC button) and turn the temperature down to 'Lo'. Then you can set the fan speed and direction using the other controls.

It appears so, they have little tabs on them which makes them easy to remove. No idea why they would block a drain hole? Unless it’s missed from being removed during the PDI?
I have just removed this tabs on the central drain holes on both front doors. There are other drain holes on the front doors - at the front and rear corners. These are clear, so I would have thought that this extra one in the middle would not make that much difference, but I will wait and see. Many thanks for the tip.

Would love a heated front screen like my old Mondeos had.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom