Design fault wiper scratches bonnet

Norhund

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
If you lift the wiper up to try and clean the windscreen you risk scratching off the paint on the edge of the bonnet where the wiper touches. The dealer quoted that it would cost me 3.500 Norwegian Kroner, about 300 pounds sterling to fix.

The dealer also told me that this is a fault they have experienced quite often and not just on MG cars.

I am really angry about just how incompetent the original design team were and that this fault was actually put into production. Even more angry that I was not warned about this when I bought the car. When I first noticed the wipers would not lift up easily I have been extremely careful whenever I have cleaned the windscreen.

It is a nice car, but if I had known this I would never have bought it. Very unhappy.

With the bonnet in closed state, and within 20 seconds of setting the START/STOP Switch to the OFF position, operate the wiper stalk switch by pressing down and release, the wipers will enter the 'service position' and stop on the windscreen.

Should solve the issues

As above many cars are now designed like that. My wife’s Vauxhall Mokka and the work’s Peugeot 308 are the same, you can’t lift the wiper arm up fully in the parked position.

Same in many cars for aerodynamics. Luckily I am nerdy enough to download and read manuals before even buying. The only thing I found confusing in description was to do with auto following in traffic queue and also speed limiter operation. Looks like you can’t have MG autopilot on for these. Anyone else confirm this?

This car does not seem to have speed limiter, never used it on previous cars anyway, I always used the cruise control, 1)makes the car more economical, watch the current MPG, 2) you never exceed the speed limit if set, using this, with the green "road" in view, then if if the car in front slows then you will keep to that speed, and even stop, in the traffic as you state, if stopped, it will sta again when the leading car moves off, but there is a few seconds, not timed yet, that a "bong" and then you have to touch the accelerator ti initiate the traffic cruise again, I love it, use all the time.

@hewguy check it out from page 221.
The speed assist system settings are available via the infotainment system. When the adaptive cruise control system is OFF, the following three functions can be selected:
#
1 Speed Limit Information Function (SLIF): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed in the instrument pack. When the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit by a preset amount, a visual warning in the instrument pack will flash.
2 Manual Speed Assist (MSA): The driver sets the maximum speed using the adaptive cruise control lever. The system will actively intervene and keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. An acoustic warning and a visual warning will be utilised during the intervention. Please refer to the section “Speed settings of manual speed assist”.
3 Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed in the instrument pack. The system will automatically intervene and maintain speed control to keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. An acoustic warning and a visual warning will be utilised when over speed.
STARTING & DRIVING
speed assist system settings are available via the infotainment system. When the adaptive cruise control system is OFF, the following three functions can be selected:
#
1 Speed Limit Information Function (SLIF): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed in the instrument pack. When the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit by a preset amount, a visual warning in the instrument pack will flash.
2 Manual Speed Assist (MSA): The driver sets the maximum speed using the adaptive cruise control lever. The system will actively intervene and keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. An acoustic warning and a visual warning will be utilised during the intervention. Please refer to the section “Speed settings of manual speed assist”.
3 Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed in the instrument pack. The system will automatically intervene and maintain speed control to keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. An acoustic warning and a visual warning will be utilised when over speed.
STARTING & DRIVING

I did the same thing when I first brought the car home from the dealers.

I was washing the car ready to apply a Ceramic Protection Spray Coat and lifted the drivers wiper arm without even thinking to clean the glass or reading the manual first to put the wiper in the Park/Service position and scratched the very edge of the bonnet on the drivers side.

Luckily I had bought the MG Touch-Up Paint before leaving the dealer for the odd stone chip etc, and I have to say, it is a perfect match even with the Tri Coat Red colour and after touching up the scratched edge of the bonnet, 9 months later it is still an invisible repair, you cannot see where I painted it at all.

Andy (Blackpool)

@Electrickery
STARTING & DRIVING

Thanks Electrickery, I also read a downloaded manual before purchase, as you state , a lot to take in, I probably glanced over this section, as I use cruise control as preference, and I get the traffic stop start you were asking about, give it a try, you may prefer this , as I do to limiter

As said by many this is not unique to MG , my 18 plate VW Tiguan had exactly the same thing and I too found out the hard way!

Its is not a design fault but the wipers being low below the bonnet both aids in reducing drag and wind noise, but also having the hinge and fixing point below the bonnet helps protect pedestrians from further injury if you were in an unfortunate accident.

Thus the hinge is only visible / accessible when the wipers are put in park mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to come up with a solution after the damage has been done but I bought some door protection strip from eBay which works well. Shame MG could not have fitted some rubber edge protector to avoid damage to paintwork.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom