Detailing & paint protection

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My #teamred is 6 months old and the paint luster is fading already, so I am considering getting it detailed and treated. Anyone have a view on paint protection (ie ceramic coating) in particular:

• what you had done
  • how much did it cost
  • would you recommend

Lastly any recommendations for detailers to do the work in central Scotland?

My #teamred is 6 months old and the paint luster is fading already, so I am considering getting it detailed and treated. Anyone have a view on paint protection (ie ceramic coating) in particular:

• what you had done
  • how much did it cost
  • would you recommend

I had ceramic coat applied immediately after purchase 8 months ago. Unfortunately for you the independent detailer is miles away near the south coast. He is very good and charged £650 for a 7 year warranty. I am very pleased with the result (team red like you) and the car still has a wonderful shine as new. It certainly makes washing the car much easier and rain water beads easily. If I ever have another car I will definitely have ceramic applied professionally. Preparation makes all the difference between a perfect job and a mediocre one and that's what you pay for. Good luck with finding a detailer local to you.

I had mine Ceramic coated at the dealers. At first I was impressed with how the water ran off and each time it rained the car almost cleaned itself. Then I noticed the bonnet was covered in water spots which wouldn't come of with normal cleaning. I had to resort to polish which has probably removed the ceramic coating.

• what you had done
  • how much did it cost
  • would you recommend

Hi Pete - I'm also thinking of having this done as well but I had bought some 'hybrid' spray (wax and ceramic coating) which I could apply myself after a wash (car - not me! :ROFLMAO: ).

However, there are also a couple of detailers around Edinburgh that I've seen advertised but I've never used them so can't give you any opinion as to how good they are. The rough cost is between £600 - £1000 if I remember.

If you want, I can try and find their website?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Pete - I'm also thinking of having this done as well but I had bought some 'hybrid' spray (wax and ceramic coating) which I could apply myself after a wash (car - not me! :ROFLMAO: ).

However, there are also a couple of detailers around Edinburgh that I've seen advertised but I've never used them so can't give you any opinion as to how good they are. The rough cost is between £600 - £1000 if I remember.

If you want, I can try and find their website?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks @bloggsy £500-£1000 is a little more than I wanted to spend - I thought I could do it for around £300. Looks like I'll have to give polish/wax a go myself 😳

Thanks @bloggsy £500-£1000 is a little more than I wanted to spend - I thought I could do it for around £300. Looks like I'll have to give polish/wax a go myself 😳
Yeah - I have the same thoughts! ;)

To be fair, they give it a detailed wash, decontamination and some swirl mark removal before applying paint protection and Rain Guard on the windscreen and windows but £500 for all that or £30 for the spray wax/ceramic coating?! :unsure: :p

Cheers

Bloggsy

It's mentally expensive, isn't it? I need it doing on mine as it looks as though the dealer washed it with sandpaper cloth before handing it over 🤬. I made some enquiries a while back for another vehicle, and had a couple of local quotes for around £300 - £500. Some detailing aficionados on another forum I'm on said it was too cheap! To do it properly would take a couple of days, involve paint thickness gauges and cost almost £2k! 😲 Needless to say I didn't get it done!

It's mentally expensive, isn't it? I need it doing on mine as it looks as though the dealer washed it with sandpaper cloth before handing it over 🤬. I made some enquiries a while back for another vehicle, and had a couple of local quotes for around £300 - £500. Some detailing aficionados on another forum I'm on said it was too cheap! To do it properly would take a couple of days, involve paint thickness gauges and cost almost £2k! 😲 Needless to say I didn't get it done!
I would hope that as our cars are new, there'll be little paint correction required but that, obviously, will change the longer we keep our cars.

As an aside, I have passed these guys - https://www.ceramicproedinburgh.co.uk/ceramic-coatings/ who are opposite Edinburgh Zoo and they are advertising a Sport Package which sounds like a basic job but includes a wash and an application of Ceramic Pro for 'From £150'.

However, they do stress that any paint imperfections have to be sorted before they apply the coating otherwise it'll be 'sealed' underneath!

Cheers

Bloggsy

I wish I could agree @bloggsy - mine was so badly prepared it needs work doing. Trouble is, it wasn't immediately obvious when I picked up the car. Major swirling and micro-scratches as a result of piss-poor preparation even though I went out of my way to ask them to avoid this :mad:

I don't have a garage so I had mine done by the dealer when I bought it, before pickup, cost £250. They did a god job.

I wish I could agree @bloggsy - mine was so badly prepared it needs work doing. Trouble is, it wasn't immediately obvious when I picked up the car. Major swirling and micro-scratches as a result of piss-poor preparation even though I went out of my way to ask them to avoid this :mad:
That's a shame! I suppose that's why you get detailers charging for packages from £500, that includes paint correction. This is the wife's car and I've been given strict instructions to leave it alone, although I can apply the hybrid spray! :rolleyes: She doesn't want me spending £500 on making the car looking shiny! :p

Cheers

Bloggsy

hi guys, im just gonna chip in on this conversation here,...
ill try in my best English,.. bear with me.

I'm kind of a +amateur detailer myself.
And the process from the start to keeping your paint looking good are these steps.
These products are just the ones i use,... its not advertised by a company or so....

1. detail the inside of your car first,.. not after you washed the outside,... avoid getting in the car with wet shoes or so, they introduce dirt and moisture into the cockpit.
2. rinse your car, use special products for insect removal, let it soak...
3. Foam up your car with a special foam nozzle, and use Meguiars wash and wax 100ml/1L of water.
(yellow product inside a transparent bottle, u can't miss it)
4. use 2 big CLEAN buckets preferably with lids when u store em..
5. 1 bucket filled halfway with a gritguard and cold water (rinse bucket)
6. 1 bucket filled to the top with again Meguiar's Wash and Wax (warm water NOT hot)
7. Use wash gloves with microfibres. NO sponge, no brushes, NOTHING else than microfibres.
8. If u ever DROP the wash glove or any other microfibre towel that u use, get a new one , and machine wash the other one, or even throw it away!
9. work from TOP to bottom, and 1 panel at a time,.. after doing each panel ALWAYS rinse in the rinse bucket by using the gritguard.
10. after washing , rinse the car and dry it off from top to bottom with a watermagnet
(a watermagnet is a special drying towel made from sucking up water like a ,.... like a magnet :p
these ones i use -> Marly expert microvezeldoek drying master 40x60cm - Supra Bazar | Je vindt er alles )
11. WET the watermagnet first,.. dont use it dry!!
12. after drying i use Meguiars spray wax, the water will bead off like crazy and will last for about 2 months.
13. apply spray wax only with microfibre towels, buff off with a fresh one.

if u have serious decontamination on your windshields or paintwork, use a claybar and the appropriate lubricant to get rid of nasty bird poop, water spots, tree sap, tar contamination from roads will also be very easy removed by a clay bar.

NEVER wash car detailing towels with normal clothing! this will produce swirling from the lint collected by the microfibre towels from clothing.

And please,.. dont use those nasty cockpit sprays in a can,.. they just smell good and make your dashboard very shiny,.. but thats not what u want,... use Marly's Cockpit cleaner on a microfibre towel.

And LASTLY , NEVER ever EVER EVER use handsoap or dish detergents to wash your car,.. they will strip it completely of wax and any protectant!!
if you want to strip your wax coating and start fresh use Meguiar's Gold Class car shampoo.
After using Meguiar's gold class, apply new wax to the car.

Greetz Toby

Last edited:
hi guys, im just gonna chip in on this conversation here,...
ill try in my best English,.. bear with me.

I'm kind of a +amateur detailer myself.
And the process from the start to keeping your paint looking good are these steps.
These products are just the ones i use,... its not advertised by a company or so....

1. detail the inside of your car first,.. not after you washed the outside,... avoid getting in the car with wet shoes or so, they introduce dirt and moisture into the cockpit.
2. rinse your car, use special products for insect removal, let it soak...
3. Foam up your car with a special foam nozzle, and use Meguiars wash and wax 100ml/1L of water.
(yellow product inside a transparent bottle, u can't miss it)
4. use 2 big CLEAN buckets preferably with lids when u store em..
5. 1 bucket filled halfway with a gritguard and cold water (rinse bucket)
6. 1 bucket filled to the top with again Meguiar's Wash and Wax (warm water NOT hot)
7. Use wash gloves with microfibres. NO sponge, no brushes, NOTHING else than microfibres.
8. If u ever DROP the wash glove or any other microfibre towel that u use, get a new one , and machine wash the other one, or even throw it away!
9. work from TOP to bottom, and 1 panel at a time,.. after doing each panel ALWAYS rinse in the rinse bucket by using the gritguard.
10. after washing , rinse the car and dry it off from top to bottom with a watermagnet
(a watermagnet is a special drying towel made from sucking up water like a ,.... like a magnet :p
these ones i use -> Marly expert microvezeldoek drying master 40x60cm - Supra Bazar | Je vindt er alles )
11. WET the watermagnet first,.. dont use it dry!!
12. after drying i use Meguiars spray wax, the water will bead off like crazy and will last for about 2 months.
13. apply spray wax only with microfibre towels, buff off with a fresh one.

if u have serious decontamination on your windshields or paintwork, use a claybar and the appropriate lubricant to get rid of nasty bird poop, water spots, tree sap, tar contamination from roads will also be very easy removed by a clay bar.

NEVER wash car detailing towels with normal clothing! this will produce swirling from the lint collected by the microfibre towels from clothing.

And please,.. dont use those nasty cockpit sprays in a can,.. they just smell good and make your dashboard very shiny,.. but thats not what u want,... use Marly's Cockpit cleaner on a microfibre towel.

And LASTLY , NEVER ever EVER EVER use handsoap or dish detergents to wash your car,.. they will strip it completely of wax and any protectant!!
if you want to strip your wax coating and start fresh use Meguiar's Gold Class car shampoo.
After using Meguiar's gold class, apply new wax to the car.

Greetz Toby
Hi all, I use Williams wash and wax, its a polymer wax and the more you use the more it repells water, had car for 6 months have done it twice and it looks like new.

Hi all, I use Williams wash and wax, its a polymer wax and the more you use the more it repells water, had car for 6 months have done it twice and it looks like new.
Please don't forget to use gloves when working with these highly industrial grade cleaners or shampoos , from Meguiar's, Williams , Turtle , chemical guys.......etc. It will get absorbed through your skin and will end up into your bloodstream!

Please don't forget to use gloves when working with these highly industrial grade cleaners or shampoos , from Meguiar's, Williams , Turtle , chemical guys.......etc. It will get absorbed through your skin and will end up into your bloodstream!
Does it clean out your arteries ? :unsure:

Does it clean out your arteries ? :unsure:
lol,.... no

+ when using products like Ceramic coating wax or even stuff like polymers. Dont breath that stuff,.. it will turn your lungs into bricks.... just saying.

Btw i just did my 21 years old toyota Corolla (2000)
To deliver to the dealer... in exchange for EHS
(wax stripped , washed , clayed and waxed and tires blackend)

Attachments

• Inkedtoyota_LI2.jpg
    Inkedtoyota_LI2.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
It's a bit of a concern that at only 6 months, you are seeing this, I'd expect no noticeable difference to new condition at all with minimal care and occasional washing after only 6 months. How is the car kept and cleaned?
Paulie, it’s kept on my drive and has been hand washed (2 bucket method). It’s micro scratches & swirl marks I’m seeing and I know they’re not me as my wash strokes are all horizontal. I think it’s basically the way the car was prepared by the dealer/MG and they’ve waxed it to a sheen and now the wax as worn off and imperfections are showing.

To be clear it’s nothing major, I just want my “as new” sheen back

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom