Did I achieve 200 miles range ?

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Me and the missus decided we needed some cheese, so went for a little jaunt up to Wensleydale to the creamery at Hawes.
We took the route out from Leeds, through Skipton, Grassington, then through tiny roads only just wide enough for the car, up mountains and down the other sides.
Conditions were ideal, started out at 19 and ended the day on 27 degrees.
All trips reset, drive mode set at Normal (for the whole day), and used flexible regen depending on the road, fingers on my left hand got plenty of exercise :D .
Arrived at our first destination, the Wensleydale creamery. Bought some cheese (and other stuff) and eventually moved on to Aysgarth to have a look at the Falls. Arrived at the visitor centre car park, which had a sign that said FULL. Of course as a red blooded male I did not see this and proceeded to enter anyway. It was full - except for 2 charging bays. Hooray I have a parking spot.
Now we had only done 63 miles and I did not need a charge as I still had 115 !! remaining on the GOM, but felt obliged to buy some electrons. Anyway an hour and a half later it had added 8kW and 40 miles of range.
Headed off home on a faster (just) more direct route and didn't take too much care with economy.
Arrived home total 122.3 miles travelled, remaining on GOM 114. So 122 +114 - 40 for the involuntary top up gives 196 miles.
Now bearing in mind without the top up I would have had 74 remaining on the GOM, so only 89 miles lost on the GOM, I think on the day I could have got in excess of 200 miles in Normal.
(Oh and I did check after I got home, if I switched to Eco mode it gave me an extra 11 miles on the GOM.)
Massive amount of regen was gained on this journey, going down one long and steep hill towards Hawes added nearly 10 miles !!!, I had lost those though going up the hill beforehand.

IMG_20210907_171941239.jpg

Last edited:
Me and the missus decided we needed some cheese, so went for a little jaunt up to Wensleydale to the creamery at Hawes.
We took the route out from Leeds, through Skipton, Grassington, then through tiny roads only just wide enough for the car, up mountains and down the other sides.
Conditions were ideal, started out at 19 and ended the day on 27 degrees.
All trips reset, drive mode set at Normal (for the whole day), and used flexible regen depending on the road, fingers on my left hand got plenty of exercise :D .
Arrived at our first destination, the Wensleydale creamery. Bought some cheese (and other stuff) and eventually moved on to Aysgarth to have a look at the Falls. Arrived at the visitor centre car park, which had a sign that said FULL. Of course as a red blooded male I did not see this and proceeded to enter anyway. It was full - except for 2 charging bays. Hooray I have a parking spot.
Now we had only done 63 miles and I did not need a charge as I still had 115 !! remaining on the GOM, but felt obliged to buy some electrons. Anyway an hour and a half later it had added 8kW and 40 miles of range.
Headed off home on a faster (just) more direct route and didn't take too much care with economy.
Arrived home total 122.3 miles travelled, remaining on GOM 114. So 122 +114 - 40 for the involuntary top up gives 196 miles.
Now bearing in mind without the top up I would have had 74 remaining on the GOM, so only 89 miles lost on the GOM, I think on the day I could have got in excess of 200 miles in Normal.
(Oh and I did check after I got home, if I switched to Eco mode it gave me an extra 11 miles on the GOM.)
Massive amount of regen was gained on this journey, going down one long and steep hill towards Hawes added nearly 10 miles !!!, I had lost those though going up the hill beforehand.

View attachment 4782
Yes it is possible as I wasn’t far off that myself yesterday with, but I averaged 5.1 miles per KWh with a slightly faster average speed of 27 mph. My journey did include trips on the M25 and so motorway speeds too.

Yes it is possible as I wasn’t far off that myself yesterday with, but I averaged 5.1 miles per KWh with a slightly faster average speed of 27 mph. My journey did include trips on the M25 and so motorway speeds too.
Yep, driving through the Dales doesn't give much chance of high average speeds.

Extrapolating if 122 miles used 89 on the GOM, then 163 at the same rate would have given 223 miles. Not saying it would get that but arithmetic is a fine thing. :)

some nice views though.

IMG_20210907_114644108.jpgIMG_20210907_114932195.jpg

IMG_20210907_144216520.jpg

I hope that you’ve got some crackers to go with the cheese 😎

It's easy to calculate based on your Miles per kWh...
So your 4.9 mpKwh X 42.5 = 208 potential miles
(Although I don't think we really have access to 42.5, more like 41.8kwh from my SOC% calculations)

Surely it is because of your average speed is so low? I suspect max possible mileage is (inversely) proportional to average speed.
You are right, but it’s the average on time to for example my trip was from Essex around the M25 over the Dartford Bridge to Croydon. From Croydon to Bracknell a mixture of road speeds and then to Slough and Hillingdon again a mixture of speeds and then back on to the M25 back to Essex. Around town you are stuck in traffic and therefore your average will drop, but on the motorway I do drive at a steady 65 mph…my average was only 27 mph with 5.1 mile per KWh; I would say 50% of my trip was M25 usage.

Very nice stories about trips and range...keep em coming. 🙂(y)

( I bet your average ICE driver doesn't half as much fun....too busy thinking about his next fuel bill)
We won’t be so pleased in the winter with mine dropping to about 130 miles range max on the same type of trip. 😞😞

It's easy to calculate based on your Miles per kWh...
So your 4.9 mpKwh X 42.5 = 208 potential miles
(Although I don't think we really have access to 42.5, more like 41.8kwh from my SOC% calculations)
More complicated than that. As we suspected and was confirmed by @MilesperkWh on a recent podcast, the ZS and 5 under report m/kWh compared to some other makes because they do not include any regen. That's why in a comparison the MGs look a little less efficient.
The new LR 5 does apparently, as well as using regen in ACC.

More complicated than that. As we suspected and was confirmed by @MilesperkWh on a recent podcast, the ZS and 5 under report m/kWh compared to some other makes because they do not include any regen. That's why in a comparison the MGs look a little less efficient.
Do you think the accumulated trip includes regen ?
My accumulated m/kWh is always more than my daily trip. E.g. My regular daily round trip of 6 miles shows anything between 3.2 (cold) to 3.9 (warm) on the current trip, yet my accumulated shows 4.2, which doesn't make sense mathematically. 🤔

Do you think the accumulated trip includes regen ?
My accumulated m/kWh is always more than my daily trip. E.g. My regular daily round trip of 6 miles shows anything between 3.2 (cold) to 3.9 (warm) on the current trip, yet my accumulated shows 4.2, which doesn't make sense mathematically. 🤔
No, I don't believe so, on the day both reset before start and were identical at the end.

No, I don't believe so, on the day both reset before start and were identical at the end.
My accumulated creeps up a bit more above the current each day, even on the first day 6 miles after resetting, the current was at 3.6 and the accumulated at 3.9.
I've given up trying to fathom the wonders of Chinese maths.

You guys have really low range in the UK for some reason. It might be due to the weather and faster overall speeds. Here in India, using the same UK imported vehicle, I can easily get 400 to even 425 kms which is almost 265 miles. This is with aircon usage near the red mark and at a highway speed of around 50 miles per hour but driven very gently. I have done several such trips and actually a lot of people in India report way over 200 miles of range. The temperature during the trip was between 30 to 37C. In winter, I expect even higher mileage as there will be no aircon usage.

Attachments

• 7BDD2CF9-3477-413E-89F2-AFEB6A866473.jpeg
    7BDD2CF9-3477-413E-89F2-AFEB6A866473.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127
Ive never had less than 155 miles on the GOM in the last two years, normally its 170 ..max.

You guys have really low range in the UK for some reason. It might be due to the weather and faster overall speeds. Here in India, using the same UK imported vehicle, I can easily get 400 to even 425 kms which is almost 265 miles. This is with aircon usage near the red mark and at a highway speed of around 50 miles per hour but driven very gently. I have done several such trips and actually a lot of people in India report way over 200 miles of range. The temperature during the trip was between 30 to 37C. In winter, I expect even higher mileage as there will be no aircon usage.
That’s amazing. So you’ll be averaging over 6miles/kwh and some trips must be pushing 7!

That’s amazing. So you’ll be averaging over 6miles/kwh and some trips must be pushing 7!
My car does only shows kwh per 100 kms which is essentially the same thing as you can divide the battery capacity by this figure and then multiply by 100. Here is one example.

Attachments

• 7A81448B-E516-460F-A446-C774874C728C.jpeg
    7A81448B-E516-460F-A446-C774874C728C.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 118
I did read somewhere that India’s measuring system is different so the same battery is recorded as giving more mileage.
Nothing like that. We can see how many kms we have travelled in any case. If you want mean kms vs. miles then yes, you get a higher figure if measured in kms vs miles. However if I say my range is 425 kms, you can convert it to miles and it is 264 miles.

Last edited:
Interesting that you mention that, I haven't got around to writing up the results of a recent test I did, but....

The MG ZSs trip data DOES take into account regen.

I've been tracking data from my App that reports how much regen there has been, gives you net/gross figures etc.
It roughly correlates with what is shown in the MG trip data.
If it did not take into account regen then the figures in the MG trip data would be quite a lot different to what they are.

The complicated bit to trying to work out what is happening with current journey vs accumulated trip, I think I've kinda got it figured out now - why it doesn't just add up, but need to put the data results all into words etc

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom