Difficulty to put car in ready mode

imran

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Sometimes when trying to start the car using on/off button it doesn’t go to ready mode straightway. Usually turning every thing off works; sometimes it required a few tries. When it happens brake pad seems very hard and stiff.

then On Driving my ZS EV for 3 months and this has happened a few times.

This time it took my wife almost half an hour to take the car in ready mode!

Anyone else has experienced similar issues? Any tips if this happens(I’m sure it will) again.

Is this something I should check with the dealer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
When it happens brake pad seems very hard and stiff.
I assume you mean the brake pedal. That's because it isn't in ready mode, so the vacuum pump isn't on, so you have no brake assist at all.

There are previous discussions about this; it seems that timing is key. When it doesn't work, one tends to panic and rush starting it, and that makes it more likely to not come on. Just search for the earlier discussions.

Upvote 0
There is a boot up process, that should be 100% followed, in order to avoid any issues in this regard.
Unlock the car with the fob and while sitting at the wheel, apply a constant firm pressure to the foot brake ( this is a good opportunity at this point, to fasten the seat belt ).
Keep that foot pressure firmly applied and then press the START button.
Do NOT release your foot pressure from the foot brake, until you first hear the ready bong and then get the green READY symbol appear in the central dash panel display.
Only then, can you select either FWD or REVERSE with the gear selector and THEN release your foot pressure from the brake pedal itself.
If you rush the start up process and try to select a drive function BEFORE the car is fully ready, it will complain and not be very happy at all !.
Slow and easy is the answer.
I have owned two ZS EV’s over four years and covered about 35,000 miles,
Never had a problem starting by following this process.

Upvote 0
There is a boot up process, that should be 100% followed, in order to avoid any issues in this regard.
Unlock the car with the fob and while sitting at the wheel, apply a constant firm pressure to the foot brake ( this is a good opportunity at this point, to fasten the seat belt ).
Keep that foot pressure firmly applied and then press the START button.
Do NOT release your foot pressure from the foot brake, until you first hear the ready bong and then get the green READY symbol appear in the central dash panel display.
Only then, can you select either FWD or REVERSE with the gear selector and THEN release your foot pressure from the brake pedal itself.
If you rush the start up process and try to select a drive function BEFORE the car is fully ready, it will complain and not be very happy at all !.
Slow and easy is the answer.
I have owned two ZS EV’s over four years and covered about 35,000 miles,
Never had a problem starting by following this process.
Totally agree, I initially had the same problem
If the process is followed there are no issues

Upvote 0
I would agree with the above, but also make sure that all the doors are firmly shut.
Any door only partially shut will cause all sorts of peculiar effects if you try to drive the car.

Upvote 0
I assume you mean the brake pedal. That's because it isn't in ready mode, so the vacuum pump isn't on, so you have no brake assist at all.

There are previous discussions about this; it seems that timing is key. When it doesn't work, one tends to panic and rush starting it, and that makes it more likely to not come on. Just search for the earlier discussions.
Yes break pedal :)

Actually I’ve searched and couldn’t find any discussion!

Upvote 0
When you apply foot pressure to the brake pedal, before you press the start button, it will feel very hard to push, but keep the pressure applied !.
Now press the start button, as the electric brake booster is activated, you will feel the pedal sink slightly, but keep foot pressure applied until you hear the “bong” and receive the green READY symbol.
NOW you can use the gear selector and slowly release the foot 🦶 pedal pressure.
When you apply pressure to the “Go” pedal the handbrake should release and off you go.
It’s that simple, but if you try to skip or rush the process, the car will not be happy.

Upvote 0
I agree with all of above. I always wait till car says ready and never have any issues. You can't rush the boot up process.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom