Difficulty unlocking charge plug

Cushie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have not used many motorway charge points and sofar they have all been Gridserve ( no App available)
On one of these occasions I could not get the plug to disconnect from the car. I use payment by Google Pay on mobile phone and their instructions were applicable to using a credit card and a little ambiguous. Another friendly user immediately suggested locking and unlocking the car by the remote, repeated 3 times in succession. Voilà, plug unlocked!

Lock/unlock normally does the trick ,though I have had to phone PodPoint a couple of times to release the cable . Only used Gridserve once ,no problem

I have not used many motorway charge points and sofar they have all been Gridserve ( no App available)
On one of these occasions I could not get the plug to disconnect from the car. I use payment by Google Pay on mobile phone and their instructions were applicable to using a credit card and a little ambiguous. Another friendly user immediately suggested locking and unlocking the car by the remote, repeated 3 times in succession. Voilà, plug unlocked!
Locking and unlocking usually does the trick on CCS and type2.
Rapid chargers all seem to work slightly differently so it's worth a quick test charge on different networks to check how they operate, trying apps, RFID cards and CC's

Might be worth hunting out the the emergency cable release - you have to remove the main plastic cover under the bonnet - once you've found it, extend it (I used a couple of zip ties) so you can reach it without having to remove the plastic cover!
You're welcome. :)

Andy

Lock/unlock normally does the trick ,though I have had to phone PodPoint a couple of times to release the cable . Only used Gridserve once ,no problem
Podpoint is a nightmare for both my MGs. Once you connect, when you go back to the session it doesnt have a way of showing the session so I have to do a "hard release" of the cable from inside the car. Very annoying and a basic flaw in an otherwise good service

Might be worth hunting out the the emergency cable release - you have to remove the main plastic cover under the bonnet - once you've found it, extend it (I used a couple of zip ties) so you can reach it without having to remove the plastic cover!
You're welcome. :)

Andy
It's in the boot on the left in the MG4 behind a little panel - you need a small screwdriver or strong key to pry it off - I keep a screwdriver in the boot for this. The Mk1 ZS is easier - just open the bonnet and the release is at the front to the right.

Podpoint is a nightmare for both my MGs. Once you connect, when you go back to the session it doesnt have a way of showing the session so I have to do a "hard release" of the cable from inside the car. Very annoying and a basic flaw in an otherwise good service
Never had to go as far as a "hard release " , just phoned PodPoint and asked them to finish the session . My nearest PodPoint DC charger has always been a bit flaky though with other users , not only MG , reporting problems .

Never had to go as far as a "hard release " , just phoned PodPoint and asked them to finish the session . My nearest PodPoint DC charger has always been a bit flaky though with other users , not only MG , reporting problems .
I just take the view that rather than waiting on the phone - a 10 second opening of a boot or bonnet and pulling a cable is simpler

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom