Digital Key

Abaker Mk2

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I use the digital key, it's great and reliable.
If you click i at the top right of the screen it reveals the tip shown in the picture.
By my interpretation of that tip if I unlock the car with the button on the botton left it should activate the ignition also and I should just have to press the physical start button to get going however it doesn't work and I must press the start/stop button on the app also.

I'm hoping MG will see this and decide which way to do it.

6E58CD95-23F1-4D5A-8002-B59EDDD89567.png

I would interpret that tip as saying you don't have to press the start button at all.
It sounds like the buttonless MG4 method of starting to me.

Correct, I was saying if you leave the house without the physical key in favour of the digital key I need to unlock with the digital key app, press the stop/stop button on the app and then physical start/stop button.

The tip indicated that it should not be necessary to press the app stop/stop button if the physical button is pressed within 120 seconds.

Can the digital key work if you have no phone signal? Can it use bluetooth? Otherwise I can see it being possible to drive somewhere with no signal and not be able to lock the car.

This is really good news I only saw that there was a digital key feature today on Facebook. My car has arrived at the dealer's and hoping to collect next week. Getting even more excited now, my dream of having no keys in my pocket for anything can be realised!

I’m just down to my phone and front door key! I haven’t carried a wallet for many years. I have scanned ID into a lock note on my phone which has been accepted at the post office when collecting items and various other places.

To make the front door keyless would mean getting the wife onboard which is more difficult! If the smart reader was as simple as pulling up a card like Apple Pay I think I could sell it to her but I’m yet to see any system that work that way. Finger crossed for the future!

This is really good news I only saw that there was a digital key feature today on Facebook. My car has arrived at the dealer's and hoping to collect next week. Getting even more excited now, my dream of having no keys in my pocket for anything can be realised!
You're a braver man than me, driving somewhere without the key. 😟
I'm no luddite but I wouldn't trust the car TBH.

You're a braver man than me, driving somewhere without the key. 😟
I'm no luddite but I wouldn't trust the car TBH.
Long journeys I’d take the key but for the school run, supermarket, town centre and 15 minutes to work I’m quite happy to leave them.

Prompted by this thread, I tried the Digital Key yesterday. Just over to the local Tesco. It worked perfectly but should anything have gone wrong, I could have walked home and got the physical key!

For me, I found it a bit of a faff compared to using the key fob. Great for an emergency though.

Prompted by this thread, I tried the Digital Key yesterday. Just over to the local Tesco. It worked perfectly but should anything have gone wrong, I could have walked home and got the physical key!

For me, I found it a bit of a faff compared to using the key fob. Great for an emergency though.
It would be nice if the key was at the front end of the app rather than buried in menus. A simple update to the app could enable that or give us a setting what should be the startup screen.

Dare I say Siri support or a home screen widget!

It would be nice if the key was at the front end of the app rather than buried in menus. A simple update to the app could enable that or give us a setting what should be the startup screen.

Dare I say Siri support or a home screen widget!

Or maybe the car just detects your phone and let’s you in?

I’d feel more comfortable with Face ID authentication before that happens.
Yes, that would add a layer of security. But you would then still have to get your phone out of your pocket.

Could work like Tesla where it auto opens and auto locks. When you are near the car it opens, when you leave the car it locks.

Yes, that would add a layer of security. But you would then still have to get your phone out of your pocket.

Could work like Tesla where it auto opens and auto locks. When you are near the car it opens, when you leave the car it locks.
Yeah I get that but just like Apple Pay you need to authenticate before you can use the card, I’d expect the same for a key.
Not sure MG devs will innovate that much anyway. We can but hope.

On a side note the Apple Watch remains unlock while on the wrist so using near field communication that could be accomplished although I’d still want to have to press the unlock button on the door handle.

Security and user experience has to be balanced.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom