Disabling keyless entry

Just a little concerned about security. I did get a faraday pouch, and after keeping the key inside the pouch, I was still able to open the car. But I was close to the car though.

You just need a better pouch.
I can stand next to the door with mine and it won't recognise the key.

I've had to replace 2 pouches so far. After a while of keeping the keys in pouch and keeping pouch in my pocket it became less effective.

Just order a pair on Amazon and have a spare handy. A regular check will give you peace of mind.

Ya, mine was a brand new one. Let me do some testing, and might order a different ones. how far do we need to be from the car for the keyless entry to not work?

Ya, mine was a brand new one. Let me do some testing, and might order a different ones. how far do we need to be from the car for the keyless entry to not work?
Does the pouch have two pockets ?
I have one that has a protected pocket and another pocket that is not lined with metallic cloth, which is not shielded. I have to make sure I put my key in the right (rear) one.
Another point, where was the other key, was it nearby ?
My keyless entry only works very close to the car, if I have my key in my left hand trouser pocket and I stand with my right hip close to the handle (or boot), it doesn't work. So I'd guess you have to be within 0.5 metres.

Why ?????
Why not?:unsure: Not everybody wants or needs this functionality. Certainly it's not something I'd bother paying for again - doesn't make my life any easier.

It should be the case that it can be disabled if requested by an owner, and shouldn't take having to buy a separate item like a Faraday pouch to cover oneself.

Why not?:unsure: Not everybody wants or needs this functionality. Certainly it's not something I'd bother paying for again - doesn't make my life any easier.

It should be the case that it can be disabled if requested by an owner, and shouldn't take having to buy a separate item like a Faraday pouch to cover oneself.
Just wrap the key in aluminium foil. :)

Tobacco tin(y)
How many people throw their keys on the hall table / window sill, when they get home 🤦‍♂️ !.
Keep the keys as far away as possible from the car and don’t leave them insight.
My main key is kept in the same place all of the time when not in use, non of this “Where have put them key’s now”.
The spare key has lived in a tin upstairs, from the day after we collected our car.

It's a fair point.
Systems like this were introduced primarily as a marketing feature and we are then subsequently conditioned to think they are essential.
I don't lose sleep over not having keyless entry to my house and it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest if I had to use a key to get into my car.

Hi guys,

Is there a way to disable keyless entry in ms zs ev?

Thanks
Nav
no. As others have said, use a faraday pouch or tin can of some sort (I use a fake soup tin). I've tested my can by standing next to the driver door with the key inside the can and pressing the unlock button on the handle, nothing happens until I take the key out then it unlocks :)
I also keep my spare key in a metal key safe.

It's a fair point.
Systems like this were introduced primarily as a marketing feature and we are then subsequently conditioned to think they are essential.
I don't lose sleep over not having keyless entry to my house and it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest if I had to use a key to get into my car.
Exactly - it's a nice to have if you want it, but I doubt it's absolutely critical to the majority.
If you're not going to offer factory options, give a key pouch with a new purchase at least. Hopefully they consider certain functionality when the car gets a proper remodel in future.

Does the pouch have two pockets ?
I have one that has a protected pocket and another pocket that is not lined with metallic cloth, which is not shielded. I have to make sure I put my key in the right (rear) one.
Another point, where was the other key, was it nearby ?
My keyless entry only works very close to the car, if I have my key in my left hand trouser pocket and I stand with my right hip close to the handle (or boot), it doesn't work. So I'd guess you have to be within 0.5 metres.
Good point I used my wife's key last week noticed the key was in the wrong pocket of the pouch. We've had the car for a year and the pouches. Lol.

I remember, just before keyless entry, when every car just had remote control unlocking via the fob, seeing a woman unlocking her car by sticking a key in the door lock and thinking, how quaint. :LOL:

I too would like to disable keyless entry. There is very little advantage in being able to push a button on the door instead of the key fob, and disabling those door buttons adds another level of protection against a scanner.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom