Disappointing car wash

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This morning I gave my car a 5000 mile wash. Really disappointed that when I lifted one of the front wipers it scraped the top edge of the bonnet 🙄 there is now bare metal 😡 also I’ve noticed how thin the metal panels are, I certainly won’t be leaning on the body work incase it dents it. So far the 5k miles have bees mainly positive but this is disappointing. I dare not polish it as the paint might rub off 😂

Attachments

• A8FC912D-3777-43CB-813C-EB45D4DB9094.jpeg
    A8FC912D-3777-43CB-813C-EB45D4DB9094.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 204
All modern cars use lightweight body panels. Even the amount of paint used has reduced significantly over the years. The days of heavy chromed metal bumpers and measuring the build of a car by how thick the panels are have long gone. Your car will be fine and last well beyond any car built with extra thick panels.
It’s a shame about the damage but with a careful bit of touch up applied you’ll hardly notice it. I always remember the first bit of damage to my cars - after that it gets easier!

I’ve had new and used cars for years, it was an observation rather than criticism and a bit of advice for others 🤔😊

My Qashqai had this wiper wash position mode, I think quite a lot of cars these days do, to reduce the drag.
I remember the old Montego's used to have a park position that would make the wipers "disappear" under the bonnet.

Look at those back windows!, When estates where glass houses on wheels 😲

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-04-09 08-07-48.png
    Screenshot from 2021-04-09 08-07-48.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
This morning I gave my car a 5000 mile wash. Really disappointed that when I lifted one of the front wipers it scraped the top edge of the bonnet 🙄 there is now bare metal 😡 also I’ve noticed how thin the metal panels are, I certainly won’t be leaning on the body work incase it dents it. So far the 5k miles have bees mainly positive but this is disappointing. I dare not polish it as the paint might rub off 😂
ZS EV suffers from the same problem, if you try to lift up the wiper arms in the parked position, it will scratch the paint from the edge of the bonnet.
Ask me how I know !.
I always purchase a touch up pen from the dealer almost straight away.
Ready in waiting for such a thing !.
You are going to get a stone chip to deal with at some point that’s for sure.
Getting on top of it straight away is the best policy.

I was worried about this happening at the local hand car wash with the ZS, but the guys there must be used to so many cars having this configuration, they lift the wiper only slightly with their fingers on the bonnet edge. (y)

I was worried about this happening at the local hand car wash with the ZS, but the guys there must be used to so many cars having this configuration, they lift the wiper only slightly with their fingers on the bonnet edge. (y)
Scared of receiving a claim for paint correction I guess !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom