Disgusted with Perrys Preston

Eckmash

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I purchased a MG HS PHEV from Perrys at Preston last November, brand new. I recently received a notification of a recall from MG that it needed a check on a ground wire attaching to the bodywork issue. When I tried to book it in they tell me that they need the vehicle ALL day. when I asked how I was supposed to get home and then pick up the vehicle they informed me that I could have a courtesy car but it would cost me £15, alternatively I could be taken back home and then picked up at a cost of £12. Why should it cost me for a check on a possible defect that was reported to MG by the D.V.L.A. Worst case of customer service I have ever had. This with the DAB radio debarcle makes me wish I had never bought the thing.

This is a petty standard line issued by many garages (ICE and EV).
Tell them they can't have it all day.

I booked my ICE van in for some servicing recently at a local franchised dealer that I've used since I've had the van. They've now been taken over by another firm, and when I booked it in they want £20 for courtesy car insurance, whereas previously it was free, even for an MOT. I guess they're all moving to this now :(

With LV, your own insurance automatically covers a courtesy car.

With LV, your own insurance automatically covers a courtesy car.

Is that 3rd party? I had a discussion with my dealer and the courtesy car is free but with a high excess if involved in an accident or I can pay something like £10 and the excess is much reduced. Then I mentioned my own insurance actually covers me driving a courtesy car then he mentioned it may only cover under third party.

I purchased a MG HS PHEV from Perrys at Preston last November, brand new. I recently received a notification of a recall from MG that it needed a check on a ground wire attaching to the bodywork issue. When I tried to book it in they tell me that they need the vehicle ALL day. when I asked how I was supposed to get home and then pick up the vehicle they informed me that I could have a courtesy car but it would cost me £15, alternatively I could be taken back home and then picked up at a cost of £12. Why should it cost me for a check on a possible defect that was reported to MG by the D.V.L.A. Worst case of customer service I have ever had. This with the DAB radio debarcle makes me wish I had never bought the thing.
Mine had the same issue, but the garage told me they'd require it for two hours. In the end, it was all done within the hour. A full day seems like they're yanking your chain.

Just had my 'recall' done, and and a first service. Said it would take 1.5~2 Hours all in. Took just over 2 hours. ALL Day? Your car would probably sit in the car park most of the time until they got around to it at their leisure.

Ask them for a test drive in the MG4 you are thinking of buying, when they phone asking for it back ask them if your car is ready! I'll bet it soon would be!!

This is standard. If you have a loan car, you have to pay for the insurance on it. It cost me £10 to have a loan car while they worked on mine.
It's not awesome, but it's normal as far as I know, and I wouldn't characterise it as disgusting.

I think this is a bit of a generational thing. In the past people expected a free loan car as a part of the "service" given to the customer. Garages no longer consider a free loan as good thing to offer their customers and rely on free tea and coffee instead. So long as they all do the same it doesn't matter they won't loose out. Of course the car was never free, nothing ever is, it just didn't appear as an item on the bill just as the refreshments aren't itemized either but one way or the other you're still paying for them.

This is standard. If you have a loan car, you have to pay for the insurance on it. It cost me £10 to have a loan car while they worked on mine.
It's not awesome, but it's normal as far as I know, and I wouldn't characterise it as disgusting.
Stuart, the problem is that this is a recall; this is no fault of mine, there is a safety problem with the car. why should it cost me? I would understand if it was a service or repair but never a safety recall. this is just very, very poor customer service by MG and Perrys. They will never get any more of my hard earned cash. I will give Chorely a try.

Stuart, the problem is that this is a recall; this is no fault of mine, there is a safety problem with the car. why should it cost me? I would understand if it was a service or repair but never a safety recall. this is just very, very poor customer service by MG and Perrys. They will never get any more of my hard earned cash. I will give Chorely a try.
You don’t have to have a loan car. If you choose to have one, then you have to cover the small cost of insuring it. Based on my limited experience, you’ll find that this is standard everywhere.
This is why your level of outrage feels disproportionate to me.

You don’t have to have a loan car. If you choose to have one, then you have to cover the small cost of insuring it. Based on my limited experience, you’ll find that this is standard everywhere.
This is why your level of outrage feels disproportionate to me.
Stuart, I am sorry to make you think I am "outraged", I think that is a little too strong a comment, especially from an administrator. I don't get outraged, life is too short for that.

Oh, just contacted MG Chorley for the same issue. Booked in for the recall, they need the car for a maximum of 1 hour. Perrys wanted the car for a full day!!!!! I will be taking out a service plan with Chorley MG, Perrys will not see one penny of my cash from now on & no I am not outraged.

Wife booked ours in for the same body earth recall. she only waited 1/2 hr on the vehicle. It may be a money making ploy but the insurance industry is changing the goal posts a lot so that may be the norm that garages have to apply to nowadays to cut costs insurance wise

An update, went to MG Chorley, nice cup of coffee, it was done before I drank it!! excellent service, Perrys Preston said they needed the car all day!! Still not outraged.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom