Displayed range at 100% charge

mattyb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone! Picked up our new MG5 long range a few days ago which we are very happy with. I'm abit confused about the range displayed after charging it up to 100% for the first time last night though. It's displaying the range as 215 miles. Is expecting it to show me 250 miles. Is this due to the cold weather at the moment or have I been given a non long range model by mistake?

Thanks
Matt

You have not driven it enough for the GOM to learn your driving style. The temperature is the main cause. A long run would probably even out the guesstimate.

Probably due to the cold weather but also ensure you zero the trip meters and make sure nothing is switched on. (Start without foot on brake pedal :) )

Welcome, like others have said cold weather hits the range.
Try resetting the trip counter and turn off heating etc.
See what you get then.

Hi everyone! Picked up our new MG5 long range a few days ago which we are very happy with. I'm abit confused about the range displayed after charging it up to 100% for the first time last night though. It's displaying the range as 215 miles. Is expecting it to show me 250 miles. Is this due to the cold weather at the moment or have I been given a non long range model by mistake?

Thanks
Matt
Even 215 miles in todays weather is very optimistic. I‘m a 1000 miles in and I’ve yet to get over 180 miles on a full charge.

I believe that the estimate is based on your previous driving performance and economy. If you reset the overall driving performance then it should jump to around 250. But this is a very optimistic estimate at this time of the year. I am currently getting around 3.2 miles per kWh. Temperature plays a big part in range performance in the winter months.

Ignore the GOM. 250 miles is not your 'range', just what the car achieved in the standardised WLTP test. You might get over 300 miles driving slowly in warm, dry weather. But you might get less than 160 miles when driving fast in the cold. You'll soon get used to it.

I've done 16k in my standard and I don't believe a word the gom says. I check the percentage used & the mileage driven and work out the range from that. EG today gom says I'm doing about 200 miles range, reality says 160 at 0C temperature.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful responses. Due to the timing of the delivery the first trip was 200+ mile trip to stay with the parents! We played it very safe with a couple of stops and even managed to work out how to use an Ionity charging station. At one point coming through Somerset it was 2° so a bit of a baptism by fire 😂. Merry Christmas everyone

Unusual for Somerset to be so cold!! As a local I figured that range loss due to cold temps would be less pronounced in the south west than in many other areas!

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful responses. Due to the timing of the delivery the first trip was 200+ mile trip to stay with the parents! We played it very safe with a couple of stops and even managed to work out how to use an Ionity charging station. At one point coming through Somerset it was 2° so a bit of a baptism by fire 😂. Merry Christmas everyone
I wonder if you took you were able to top up at your parents house using the supplied Granny Charger?
As far as predicted range after charging goes and actual range attained, I’m sure you will quickly get used to the various factors affecting the difference you get. These factors are many and include all those that other members have written about as well as a few more!
Do you drive with the Econ and Kers 3 settings?

I wonder if you took you were able to top up at your parents house using the supplied Granny Charger?
As far as predicted range after charging goes and actual range attained, I’m sure you will quickly get used to the various factors affecting the difference you get. These factors are many and include all those that other members have written about as well as a few more!
Do you drive with the Econ and Kers 3 settings?
We were in Econ and Kers 2 for the motorway section and Kers 3 when we left the motorway after reading another thread which recommended this 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom