Do car journalists hate MG?

2of3

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Since just before buying my first EV, I became an avid consumer of YouTube videos concerning the subject. Being a relative novice on the subject as most "normal" people are, my knowledge beforehand was limited to knowing that Teslas were expensive and Leafs were ugly.

It was MG that opened my eyes to the fact that even I could be a part of this movement towards driving electric. Here came a company that I was only peripherally aware of (because I'm not British) and offered me a car that not only seemed like a good car, it was one I could actually afford!

Back to YouTube. Since buying my ZS EV, I have been annoying my wife with my obsession with EV reviews. She's more of the "why are you looking at other cars, we just bought an new car" kind of mindset. While looking around, I have noticed that some of the larger channels concerning EVs have one thing missing: MG.

It's an almost obvious omission from key lists of "top 10 affordable EVs you can buy now" and such other rankings. One channel even tried to call the Ford Mach-E cheap! When Electroheads were actually called out in the comment section about their lack of content regarding MG, they addressed it. Addressed it by doing a video where they barfed all over the MG5, almost ignored the ZS EV, and fantasized about the E-motion ever coming to fruition. Good job there!

I'm sure there are plenty of car reviewers that have covered MG and I have seen plenty (all there is to see maybe?). But I'm still left with the general feeling that a large segment of reviewers either don't take MG seriously or intentionally ignore the brand.

Thoughts?

You are absolutely right.

The Fully Charged Show did an awful review of the ZS EV where every other word was "quirky". They keep on suggesting that there should be more affordable EVs but omit to mention the MG models. Bit of a joke.

I think there are two things.
Firstly there is a lot of scepticism due to the Chinese owner/manufacturer.
Secondly due to the legacy of MGRover. As an owner of a TF and ZT ( before then a 400 and a 75) they have all been great cars but had a ridiculous 'old man' image and reputation for breakdowns due to head gasket I think blight MG today.

On the bright side if it helps keep prices low - all the better for us

You are absolutely right.

The Fully Charged Show did an awful review of the ZS EV where every other word was "quirky". They keep on suggesting that there should be more affordable EVs but omit to mention the MG models. Bit of a joke.

Pretty good review. I brought my MG5 off the back of it.

I've been watching the Irish car reviewer Bob Flavin who has been loaned a MG ZS EV to use for 12 months, He's very honest in his reviews & really likes the ZS.

I watched quite a few reviews and the generally very positive reports prompted me to try a ZS which I then purchased. Some mainstream reviewers were slow to catch up but most of the better car reviewers rate the MG quite highly in its segment.

Like I said in the OP:
I'm sure there are plenty of car reviewers that have covered MG and I have seen plenty (all there is to see maybe?).
My point was:
There ARE a good number of reviewers that purposefully ignore MG in their reviews.

I also bought my MG5 after seeing the Fully Charged review. And just on that subject...Fully Charged is about the best thing I have seen in yrs. Robert is informative and also funny. the show goes from strength to strength and it shows how bland programmes like Tog Gear have become.

I also bought my MG5 after seeing the Fully Charged review. And just on that subject...Fully Charged is about the best thing I have seen in yrs. Robert is informative and also funny. the show goes from strength to strength and it shows how bland programmes like Tog Gear have become.
I agree he is generally good. However, he must have been having a bad day when he reviewed the ZS EV.

I find that strange to the MG battering, coz its Chinese and all that. Land Rover and Jag's dont seem to get this negative reviews and they are Indian owned and in the past had terrible reliability issues.

That's the question: Are they against all Chinese built cars or are they actually offended that China owns the traditionally British MG badge?

I think in general people are against China, unfortunately a lot of racists do exist. A lot of it comes from them being scared that China will take over the world one day and also jealousy that China are doing things better and cheaper than most countries now. I commented on the fully charged YouTube review of the MG5 and got trolled because they didn't like China.

I said if SAIC are going to offer me an affordable EV car that is of good quality compared to the expensive ones out there that I cannot justify going for an EV, then I'm quite happy to buy it.

I would pay 20k + for an EV but not 30k+

Hmm, I'm not sure racism has anything to do with it. This is thrown about a lot - if you disagree with someone's viewpoint, you're labelled racist (not having a pop at you @AdamMGEV, just stating my observations). Just look at China's record on human rights - Honk Kong, Tiananmen Square, Uighurs, overt censorship etc. etc. Perhaps these reasons contirubte towards the apathy faced by MG. Before I bought mine, and now during ownership, I do wonder - and feel a sense of guilt about - if slave labour was used to build my car.

Hmm, I'm not sure racism has anything to do with it. This is thrown about a lot - if you disagree with someone's viewpoint, you're labelled racist (not having a pop at you @AdamMGEV, just stating my observations). Just look at China's record on human rights - Honk Kong, Tiananmen Square, Uighurs, overt censorship etc. etc. Perhaps these reasons contirubte towards the apathy faced by MG. Before I bought mine, and now during ownership, I do wonder - and feel a sense of guilt about - if slave labour was used to build my car.
Possibly cheap labour but I doubt slave labour could exist with SAIC, atleast I'd like to think so.

Yes the whole Uighurs is bad, but clothes made in India, and to be fair some cases in the US, no country is perfect, the UK has a very bad past and any developing country goes through problems and controversies. China has come a long way, 50 years ago people were starving all over China and now look at them, with progress comes sacrifices and hardship but on the whole I'd prefer to live in China now than in the past, they have come q long way and hopefully in another 50 years all countries will be good, but I doubt it.

FWIW it was our first viewing of the Fully Charged "quirky" episode that made us consider the ZS for our 2nd EV

Additionally, I have to agree the issues raised are peculiar design choices, like that swing-up charge port cover with rubber boots, so the quirky tag isn't out of line. Watching Tesla Bjorn's video later with the software update to address some of these UI choices and chimes has added to our confidence in checking out the car (rain permitting) this weekend.

FWIW it was our first viewing of the Fully Charged "quirky" episode that made us consider the ZS for our 2nd EV

Additionally, I have to agree the issues raised are peculiar design choices, like that swing-up charge port cover with rubber boots, so the quirky tag isn't out of line. Watching Tesla Bjorn's video later with the software update to address some of these UI choices and chimes has added to our confidence in checking out the car (rain permitting) this weekend.
I think you’ll like the car. Rain!!!

That's the question: Are they against all Chinese built cars or are they actually offended that China owns the traditionally British MG badge?
I have a really small (but growing) YouTube channel where I’ve featured my ZS EV / MG in general a few times and the number of comments relating to both China and Chinese MG are really quite something. So I think both is the answer to your question!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom