Do I need a type 2 cable?

CMJ22

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Im collecting my new MG4 this Saturday and originally told I would get a type 2 cable with it but now I’ve been told it will be a 3pin cable, the granny charger. Im getting a tethered charger fitted at home soon too so just wondering if I really need a type two charger for public charger points or do most have their own cable attached?

Trying to save a few ££

Im collecting my new MG4 this Saturday and originally told I would get a type 2 cable with it but now I’ve been told it will be a 3pin cable, the granny charger. Im getting a tethered charger fitted at home soon too so just wondering if I really need a type two charger for public charger points or do most have their own cable attached?

Trying to save a few ££
Also can anyone recommend a type 2 cable to buy if it is still a good idea to get one, MG have said theirs are £236.48 inc VAT

What model are you getting?

Most public ac chargers are untethered so you definitely need a cable.

The question is when you get the car is it fitted with a single phase 7kw ac/dc inverter or 11kw. Some have 11kw which will work on a standard type 2 single phase cable but to get full 11kw at 22kw chargers you need a 3 phase type 2 cable.

Apologies if that over complicates it but worth knowing.

Lots of good UK online shops which will give you cable cheaper than MG.

I have used easbyev and the cable is good quality.

Alan

Trying to save a few ££
Rapid chargers always have a cable. Fast chargers vary. Where will you be charging, en route on major routes or when you get to your destination? If the former, you will probably not need it but if the latter could be essential/useful. A granny charger is fine for occasional / emergency use but best not relied on every day.

I’m getting the SE standard so the battery is the 51kw, I drive to see family probably a few times a year and it’s a 200 mile journey each way so I’d be stopping off somewhere to charge but I was thinking do most services have fast chargers and their own cables, but now I’m thinking maybe just get one anyway so I don’t get stuck? Zap Map is good but doesn’t tell you if it has a cable or not unless you can see in the pictures.

Thanks both for the info, good to get others opinions on these things… now to look at type two chargers!

I’m getting the SE standard so the battery is the 51kw, I drive to see family probably a few times a year and it’s a 200 mile journey each way so I’d be stopping off somewhere to charge but I was thinking do most services have fast chargers and their own cables, but now I’m thinking maybe just get one anyway so I don’t get stuck? Zap Map is good but doesn’t tell you if it has a cable or not unless you can see in the pictures.

Thanks both for the info, good to get others opinions on these things… now to look at type two chargers!
This one depends on the charger. If it's a rapid charger, it will have its own tethered cable due to the need for the CCS port, which allows for extra transfer.

You will need the type2 for charging at your local supermarket for example, or on slower public chargers if all the rapid's are full.

I would advise getting one regardless of the tethered rapids.

For peace of mind, yes, best to carry one. Especially if there are not a lot of rapid chargers where you are going. Varies a lot around the country.

Yes, someone above said it, but if it is a tethered unit you're having put in then you would not need another cable for home charging, only for out and about non-rapid charging - i.e. slow charging which is often not worth the while unless you can leave the car on it for hours.

You could get an untethered charging unit and a separate cable, which you can then unplug and take with you on the (probably few) occasions you'd need it.

You can buy a type 2 - type 2 cable for less than £150, it's a bit of future proofing against that one time you need it but don't have it.

There's quite a few on Amazon (and elsewhere) at not a lot over £100. You do want a 32A one, also longer ones cost more...

I survived about eight months without one. Have a tethered charger at home and used the tethered rapid chargers on the few times I charged on the road. Caved and bought one in the end as I was going to France on holiday and was (rightly) worried about needing a charging cable. Have used a few times since at Pod Point, but never in an emergency.

Think I spent about £130 in the end for a 5 metre cable from Amazon, and it’s been fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom