Do i need a type 2 lead ?

As others have said - only the rapid chargers (50Kwh and above) are tethered. All of the others are untethered and, IMHO, I would say you should get a 32A Type 2 cable and keep it in your car.

At some of the charging hubs, the rapids are usually very busy plus if you were near 80% and wanted to top up to 100%, I go to the 22Kwh or 7 Kwh chargers and leave the rapid for someone else who may really need it, or you can put your car on a slower charge whilst waiting for a rapid to become free.

Cheers

Bloggsy
But bear in mind UK MG ZS (both 1st gen and 2nd gen facelift) and MG5 all have single phase 7 kW on-board chargers which means they'll still only draw 7 kW from a 22 kW 3 phase charger point.

I bought 5 m single phase 32 amp Type II cable when I took delivery of my car. I was very tempted at the time to buy a shorter cable and I wish I had since the mg has the charge Paul in the middle at the front so that the 3 m cable would have been more than adequate on every occasion I've needed to use it! 3 m cable would have been lighter and easier to store and I'd find it hard to recommend buying a 5 m cable. 3 m cable all will also be cheaper.

But they are not chargers anyway as the charging is done by the car. EVSE'S
That's a battle that is unfortunately lost, like searching for a hearing aid cell. All the advertisements will call them a battery.

I still put "charger" in quotes when talking about an EVSE, and talk about "the battery" in a solar energy system, even though there might be 4 12 V battery modules in that battery. It costs so little to get these things right, and then there is no room for confusion.

The kW conflating with kWh battle is still on, and there is a possibility that the good guys will win. As for getting the case of units correct, that battle is sadly lost. People seem to be so intellectually lazy these days, or maybe the microjoule of energy to press or release the shift key is just too much to ask.

That's a battle that is unfortunately lost, like searching for a hearing aid cell. All the advertisements will call them a battery.

I still put "charger" in quotes when talking about an EVSE, and talk about "the battery" in a solar energy system, even though there might be 4 12 V battery modules in that battery. It costs so little to get these things right, and then there is no room for confusion.

The kW conflating with kWh battle is still on, and there is a possibility that the good guys will win. As for getting the case of units correct, that battle is sadly lost. People seem to be so intellectually lazy these days, or maybe the microjoule of energy to press or release the shift key is just too much to ask.
Well said as are "Power" and "Energy". 10+ years back I used to sell Solar PV and the confusion amongst people who should have known better was bad than mixing up kW and kWh !!! And now, there is still more when people talk about X number of kW storage instead of kWh storage!!!

Let's be clear kW is Power
kWh
is Energy

Motors
have Power
Storage
is of Energy

What is called a Home Wall Charger is an "Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment" (EVSE)
What we call a "Granny Charger" is a "Portable EVSE" and enables "Level 1" charging via a domestic 3 Pin Plug

Level 1 charging on Portable EVSE works at up to 10 Amp ie around 2.4 kW

Level 2
charging is at 3.6 kW or usually 7.2 kW Also known as 3 or 7 kW or "Fast Charger"
NB: Simple public and workplace charging are usually "Level 2" and it is the norm in the UK to require the EV Driver to provide their own "Type 2" charging cable.

"Type 2" describes the EU wide standard "Mennekes" or "IEC 62196 Type 2" AC plug connector on the Car's end of the cable and distinguishes it from the smaller "Type 1" or "SAE J1772" developed for the Japanese market (hence the "J") and found on earlier 24 kWh and 30 kWh Nissan Leaf and some hybrids such as the Outlander. In the US Type 1 is still the standard.

Side note the Renault Zoe when launched had an unusual charging system called Chameleon which only used Type 2 both for 7 kW single-phase but also had 3-Phase AC charging capability up to 43 kW but this wasn't adopted. Early Teslas had the proprietary "Tesla Connector" based on the Type 1 connector but I'll say no more as in line with the EU ruling Tesla now also uses Type 2 CCS.

CCS is the "Combined Charging Standard" which all new EVs in Europe must be fitted with the "Type 2 CCS Socket or CCS Charging Port which is a Type 2 AC socket with 2 Pin DC port beneath. Note when Rapid DC Charging the DC Pins provide charging while the safety checks and communication between car and charger go via the small connections in the Type 2 section of the "Combined plug".

EVs have "Onboard Chargers" that convert AC (Alternating Current) into High Voltage DC (Direct Current) which is then used to charge the "Battery Pack" controlled by the BMS (Battery Management System)

"Battery Packs" also called an "HV Battery" or "Traction Battery" comprise numerous low-voltage "Battery Cells" (ie on the Gen 1 ZS there are 108 "Cells" in the "HV Battery Pack")
Rapid and Ultra Rapid Chargers are Level 3 and truly are "Chargers" providing DC by-passing the onboard AC to DC onboard charger and pumping DC directly into the vehicle's HV DC battery pack

There are a lot of terminologies involved with EVs and I know people develop short cuts because we don't want to become an engineer just to drive our EVs but sometimes it helps to be clear. I guess if when you pull up at a Rapid charger and call it an "Electric Pump" it's okay as long as you then know to use the CCS Tethered Cable so you can get the full benefit of your MG to charge DC rather than grabbing the AC Type 2 Cable because it looks familiar and will plug into the top of your CCS without realising your MG (in UK) can only charge at 7 kW and take several hours to charge rather than minutes on the CCS. I kid you not I've seen it at the motorway services.

Well said as are "Power" and "Energy". 10+ years back I used to sell Solar PV and the confusion amongst people who should have known better was bad than mixing up kW and kWh !!! And now, there is still more when people talk about X number of kW storage instead of kWh storage!!!

Let's be clear kW is Power
kWh
is Energy

Motors
have Power
Storage
is of Energy

What is called a Home Wall Charger is an "Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment" (EVSE)
What we call a "Granny Charger" is a "Portable EVSE" and enables "Level 1" charging via a domestic 3 Pin Plug

Level 1 charging on Portable EVSE works at up to 10 Amp ie around 2.4 kW

Level 2
charging is at 3.6 kW or usually 7.2 kW Also known as 3 or 7 kW or "Fast Charger"
NB: Simple public and workplace charging are usually "Level 2" and it is the norm in the UK to require the EV Driver to provide their own "Type 2" charging cable.

"Type 2" describes the EU wide standard "Mennekes" or "IEC 62196 Type 2" AC plug connector on the Car's end of the cable and distinguishes it from the smaller "Type 1" or "SAE J1772" developed for the Japanese market (hence the "J") and found on earlier 24 kWh and 30 kWh Nissan Leaf and some hybrids such as the Outlander. In the US Type 1 is still the standard.

Side note the Renault Zoe when launched had an unusual charging system called Chameleon which only used Type 2 both for 7 kW single-phase but also had 3-Phase AC charging capability up to 43 kW but this wasn't adopted. Early Teslas had the proprietary "Tesla Connector" based on the Type 1 connector but I'll say no more as in line with the EU ruling Tesla now also uses Type 2 CCS.

CCS is the "Combined Charging Standard" which all new EVs in Europe must be fitted with the "Type 2 CCS Socket or CCS Charging Port which is a Type 2 AC socket with 2 Pin DC port beneath. Note when Rapid DC Charging the DC Pins provide charging while the safety checks and communication between car and charger go via the small connections in the Type 2 section of the "Combined plug".

EVs have "Onboard Chargers" that convert AC (Alternating Current) into High Voltage DC (Direct Current) which is then used to charge the "Battery Pack" controlled by the BMS (Battery Management System)

"Battery Packs" also called an "HV Battery" or "Traction Battery" comprise numerous low-voltage "Battery Cells" (ie on the Gen 1 ZS there are 108 "Cells" in the "HV Battery Pack")
Rapid and Ultra Rapid Chargers are Level 3 and truly are "Chargers" providing DC by-passing the onboard AC to DC onboard charger and pumping DC directly into the vehicle's HV DC battery pack

There are a lot of terminologies involved with EVs and I know people develop short cuts because we don't want to become an engineer just to drive our EVs but sometimes it helps to be clear. I guess if when you pull up at a Rapid charger and call it an "Electric Pump" it's okay as long as you then know to use the CCS Tethered Cable so you can get the full benefit of your MG to charge DC rather than grabbing the AC Type 2 Cable because it looks familiar and will plug into the top of your CCS without realising your MG (in UK) can only charge at 7 kW and take several hours to charge rather than minutes on the CCS. I kid you not I've seen it at the motorway services.
Perhaps this could be copied into the General Electric chat forum for reference.

It's more of a nice to have than a must
it just gives you options and there is a lot more free charging available to you?
Definitely need a type 2 lead, why you didn't get one with the car amazes me. Anyway there is more untethered chargers than tethered ones, public that is. I use mine all the time.

Definitely need a type 2 lead, why you didn't get one with the car amazes me. Anyway there is more untethered chargers than tethered ones, public that is. I use mine all the time.
When I bought mine, the dealer said MG considered they'd supplied a means of charging with the MG Branded Portable EVSE (Granny Charger) in the boot and that since Public Rapid Chargers are tethered and most people charge at home they had covered the bases. However, if I wanted a Type 2- Type 2 cable they were readily available either as an Accessory for MG (which he didn't recommend) or on eBay/Amazon. He also said that 'Some' manufactures had, (I know that this applied at one time to Renault Zoe) supplied a Type 2 rather than a P-EVSE and since a P-EVSE is two to three times more expensive than a Type 2 it was a good deal from MG. Humm debatable. My Kia eNiro came with both and Nissan provide both. I did try negotiating but settled for MG carpets since I was one of the first 1000 to order ZS and got free PodPoint installed. I then bought bought a Lime Green 5m Type 2 for £130 with water proof bag on Amazon.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom