Do we have an official wading depth?

macd2401

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
No, I'm not planning an around the world jaunt. But I did get caught in the wee shower that managed to shut half of Paisley last night.

Now I've taken cars way beyond what was sensible in the past (an Audi S8 that took over a week for the electronics to start working again after a wee dook to just below the air intake). But given we don't have intakes or exhausts, do we have an official scary warning notice?

Obvious precautions apply. Take it slow to avoid damage to the radar unit and keep the pressure on the waterproofing to a minimum. But I'm pretty sure I managed to give the underside a good wash, to at least the bottoms of the doors, with no bright flash, loud bang or zapped pedestrians. Was almost underwhelming 😈

I understand that the battery and motor are sealed / covered in special sealant like modern phones are these days so are certified to be under 1m of water for 30 mins, so it’s really only the cars own seals and any bung holes that are the weak point.

ISTR reading somewhere that up to the depth of the tyre sidewalls was the "official" wading depth, same as most manufacturers, but I think that's just to cover their backs for wet brakes etc.

I've been to nearly the top of the tyres. That video uses a baby puddle :)

I don't recall seeing anything official.

That would be my personal advice. I always avoid flood water.

avoiding flood water is always good advice but ev's tend to handle floods far better than ICE vehicles. its almost funny watching teslas boating along past stranded cars.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom