Dock to dealer delivery time

Geoffers

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here so treat me gently!

I have had an MG5 LR on order since mid November. I had an email in late Feb from the dealer saying my car would be available from 1st March. Well it wasn't! I have contacted them many times since and they are assuring me that the car is in the country but awaiting delivery. In their last message to me they say it can take anything from 3 to 12 days for delivery and they have no way of tracking it. Surely the dealers have some sort of manifest/schedule of all their orders? I realise there could be a lot of cars at the dock to clear and limited transporters but surely there is a plan, a system of distribution or am I being naive?

Anyone got the lowdown on how it works?

I have had an MG5 LR on order since mid November. I had an email in late Feb from the dealer saying my car would be available from 1st March. Well it wasn't! I have contacted them many times since and they are assuring me that the car is in the country but awaiting delivery. In their last message to me they say it can take anything from 3 to 12 days for delivery and they have no way of tracking it. Surely the dealers have some sort of manifest/schedule of all their orders? I realise there could be a lot of cars at the dock to clear and limited transporters but surely there is a plan, a system of distribution or am I being naive?

I'm in a similar position, just being told it'll be this month

Clearance through customs can add delays, can usually take a week to 10 days if everything goes smoothly

Mine (and few few others) landed at the wrong place (Southampton IIRC) back in Nov (@EVsince2016 will remember details). Took quite a few weeks to reach me as it had to be taken to Bristol for whatever the regular import procedures are then onto the dealer then PDI then me.

My dealership had a delivery of vehicles yesterday. The labels were still on them when I went to see mine today. They were labeled Shanghai to Bristol on the Viking Sea, which docked at Portbury on 11th Feb. So took nearly a month to arrive at the dealership.

Landed 11th, with Dealer later than predicted by 2 days on the 16th. Plenty of time for the PDI registration etc got the 1st, but could have easily had it for the 25th if I was impatient.

Our car was "in the country" on 3rd Feb! We honestly thought we would have it before March, but silence prevailed. We phoned for news every week or 10 days. At one point we were told the dealers were waiting a final car to make up their transporter shipment. We chased again on Friday last week and were told "your car is here, we are just having trouble registering your [private] plate with the DVLA, you can have it any day from Monday if you go with a normal 22 reg. We collect it on Friday, it will be more than six months from handing over a holding deposit to collecting the car. Communication from our dealer has been rubbish throughout, but the wait is nearly over....

Thanks everyone - this is very interesting but also a tad depressing. I'm not getting a sense of a well oiled distribution system! The sales person dealing with my order is good enough at responding to my (increasing) pleas for a date but without actually giving me any concrete information. I'm not very impressed with the lack of management involvement either - but I suppose no surprises there either.

Your dealer is just as in the dark. Until the date of the delivery stops moving when checked daily it's not solid.

Mg motor UK need to get to grips with their communications and distribution.

I went to my dealer (Arnold Clark Linwood) on monday to try and pin them down to a date for collection of my MG5LR Exclusive. I was called by the sales manager a couple of weeks ago asking me to change my original choice of colour from red to blue as they could get it here on 21st March. I spoke to the salesman who sold me the car, and said to him so my car will be here in 2 weeks from today as i want to take a couple of days off work for collection, he then said maybe the 23rd March I said ok only 2 more days, he still wouldn't commit. While I was there they had an MG5LR's in silver in the showroom for sale and another one parked outside alongside a black MG5LR Excite. If someone rolled up this week they could drive away in a silver MG5LR in 5 days instead of the 5 months I've waited. Shame on all dealers for spinning so many stories and even more shame on MG UK for allowing this to happen.

While I was there they had an MG5LR's in silver in the showroom for sale and another one parked outside alongside a black MG5LR Excite. If someone rolled up this week they could drive away in a silver MG5LR in 5 days instead of the 5 months I've waited. Shame on all dealers for spinning so many stories and even more shame on MG UK for allowing this to happen.
If that was me and I liked silver I'd have asked for that one 😂

To be fair the dealer supplying my MG5 LR hasn't had any MG5 since October when they sold their demonstrator. They've just fulfilled some customers orders but also ordered others which are now up for sale (red). I can't change my colour as our leasing company won't allow the red (more expensive to repair).

Whilst it is frustrating people can walk in and get one today, it isn't really the dealers fault. It's more Mg's way of doing things and the dealers placing their own orders to try to circumvent this.

I had a zs Lr ordered niv and but since no Lr connects were not coming through was i brought a silver Mg5 from anorld clark pre reg with 7 miles on it and drove away in it that day.

The situation is crazy where people who ordered months ago are still waiting and i can go to a dealer and get a pre reg for a mojor discount that day

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom