• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Does anyone actually use Speed Assist on the 5LR?

AnonymouseDriva

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I ask as I do, but it seems to me that it's a pretty poor implementation. Not sure how it compares to the ZS though.

1) You have to turn it back on in the infotainment unit EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE, regardless of manual or intelligent, it sets back to 'off' when you start the car. I wouldn't mind - but it's not active until you press the blue button on the stalk anyway. I don't understand why a safety feature sets itself to OFF every time. All the others (lane assist, MG Pilot, collision assist) either remember their settings or turn back on.

2) Intelligent doesn't actually know the limit half the time. If speed signs are on a junction, it resets the limiter after you turn at the junction - a feature that clears far more valid speed limits from the system than it does incorrect ones.
It also doesn't (and can't really) know that it's 30 in a built up area, and it occasionally picks up signs that are not applicable to the road that you are on. I get that there are limits to the technology, and that's fine but being in intelligent mode completely disables your ability to set a manual speed limit in these areas.
Surely this would make more sense for it to still function as a manual speed limiter, but then just change the limit when it sees a sign. That would then be an intelligent ASSIST instead of taking over altogether and getting it wrong.

3) ISA errors and turns speed assist off whenever it sees a 20MPH limit. (at least, it does on mine, and on the one they use for test drives at Chorley MG. I currently only have a sample size of 2 for this though...)

I find I only use the manual speed assist now (with the annoyance of having to switch it back on every time in infotainment) but the intelligent mode isn't really that well thought through or fit for purpose.

Any thoughts / comments?

After reading the manual I just let it do it's default thing. It doesn't read signs very well anyway and I was very wary about letting the car control or limit my speed because of this.
E.g. This comes up as a 70 mph limit...... :confused:
end-of-goods-vehicles-restriction-sign.jpg

I haven't used it yet. I thought I would miss it, but I only used it on my previous car in average speed check areas where the M4 drops to 50MPH, but Adaptive cruise control works flawlessly in this situation, even bringing me to a complete stop on Saturday in a small traffic jam. With that working so well I don't think I'd bother with the limiter again.

I do agree though, reading the speed limit signs (when they exist) seems somewhat unreliable. and reading 20 signs as 70 is a major issue. The bigger problem seems to be speed signs not existing at all, or only appearing half way up the road. It would be good if there was a way to set the speed limit manually.

After reading the manual I just let it do it's default thing. It doesn't read signs very well anyway and I was very wary about letting the car control or limit my speed because of this.
E.g. This comes up as a 70 mph limit...... :confused:
View attachment 4921
yeah. Intelligent isn't great - hence why I think it should have a manual override.

I tend to use the manual speed assist - that's the same as I used to have in my Scenic. Works the same as cruise, but setting a speed limiter instead of a target speed.

The main annoyance for me though is that it turns off altogether and needs to be reactivated in infotainment every trip. Compare this to, for example, lane keeping that keeps it's infotainment setting. I can understand having to turn OFF a safety feature every time, but not turning one ON...

I drive the car half the time and tend to use the features available. The missus on the other hand won't touch any of them. Most things need the press of a blue button to 'activate' anyway, so she needn't be bothered with them and I would expect the infotainment to keep the feature preference. I'm happy to press the button on the stalk to activate it. With the Lane Keep Assist however, it DOES remember the setting in infotainment, but also defaults to 'active' when you start the car. This means that if I had been using LKA in 'Lane Keeping' mode, then the missus takes the car out, as soon as she is on a road with clear enough markings and doing a reasonable speed the car will start steering for her. That could be potentially dangerous if unexpected. It does make sense with the 'warning' mode, debateable with 'departure assist',. but isn't good at all in 'Lane Keeping'. (to be fair, that's best left off and only used with ACC on the motorway)

Also - interesting that my sample size of 2 for the system failure / dash error at every 20MPH sign hasn't expanded (either with it working or failing for others in the 5). I guess that means no-one else uses it!

I used manual speed assist on the ZS. I set up the star button on the MFSW to open ‘car’ on the infotainment system. I then pressed Manual Speed Assist. Lifted the ACC lever and pressed the button. But if I had forgotten to turn off ACC by pushing the lever far enough forward I had to repeat the process! Annoying.

The car needs a database of speed limits for the intelligent system to work properly. The MG does not have this. The Leaf 40 I had previously and my Soul has a good database of speed limits (but neither had/has Intelligent Speed Assist). Basically until every road has regular repeaters of the speed limit on them Intelligent speed assist is a waste of time. The Leaf’s road sign recognition was excellent. The Soul doesn’t have sign recognition.

I use and like it, evan though I agree with all the shortcomings mentioned. The fact that you can not save a user startup configuration stuffs much more up than just ISA. It is also a pitty that ISA ignores the navi and solely relies on roadsigns for speed info. But wenn you arrange yourself with the limitations, overwrite it with a gas pedal cick or use the stalk button, than if find it can be useful avoiding unintentional speeding. In town I certainly prefer it to ACC, and use it regularly. One way is setting things up bevore you depart.

Hi all,

Still an issue on my brand new MG5 SR, the fact the setting isn't restored on startup is really annoying.
But isn't it a bug? On mine, even if the option is unticked (I can't turn it on anyway, even with engine on), choosing a mode bellow activate it on the dashboard (but not on the infotainment system, it remains with the default settings: deactivated and AV).
I don't know if I have the latest firmware version (doesn't have OTA updates), does this have been resolved for any of you? Like gweiller, I prefer speed limit to AAC in town.

Thanks in advance!

(I can't turn it on anyway, even with engine on),

Check the CC stalk. I fell for that with the test drive model and it took me and the sales guy a short while to figure that out.

Push the CC stalk right back so that Cruise Control is completely off. It won't let you activate the speed assist function when the stalk is in the cruise control position. it has to be in the speed assist position (i.e. pushed away from you)

You mention ACC but say you're in an SR. I thought the SR just had cruise, not ACC. I also thought that it doesn't have the camera needed for Intelligent Speed Assist, but I assume it still has the manual speed assist.

ISA is still useless anyway. As everyone has observed, it's wrong more than it's right, it turns off automatically every time you stop the car, and in the case of the 5LRs that I have driven (mine and the Chorley MG test drive one) it crashes and disables whenever it sees a 20 mph limit sign. Oh, and on most 30MPH roads around us (where this would be most useful) it assumes no limit.

I'm in for the first service this weekend, so I'll see if there are any pending updates. Doubt it though.

Thanks for your answer.

I will try this later today, didn't pay attention if it was the case or not. Still hoping for it to stay on at startup, at least in manual mode, ISA doesn't work very well indeed (staying at 50 once out of town, instead of 80, or not switching to 50 on entering a town...).

Just to be sure, is SR for standard range, and LR long range?
If yes, I do have a standard range (50 kWh), and it has ACC, as well as the front camera for ISA, IHC, LKA / LDW... maybe the product lines are different from UK?

1) You have to turn it back on in the infotainment unit EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE, regardless of manual or intelligent, it sets back to 'off' when you start the car. I wouldn't mind - but it's not active until you press the blue button on the stalk anyway. I don't understand why a safety feature sets itself to OFF every time. All the others (lane assist, MG Pilot, collision assist) either remember their settings or turn back on.
You have to do this as well on the ZS, in fact, we have to turn i t off twice as the first time it immediatly switches back to on (perhaps this is by design to make sure you really meant to turn it off?), but basically, it's totally useless and if left on just leaves an icon of the wrong speed flashing annoyingly on the dashboard.

The camera that picks out the signs is poorly configured and so captures the speed limit signs for the autoroute exits (generally 70-90kph) or the lorry speeds (slower than the road limit, with a 3.5 ton sign underneath) and displays those rather than the actual speed limit on the road. There should be some logic linked to the nav system so that the car knows which road it is on and displays the appropriate limit, but clearly there is not. The system on our Merc works faultlessly, it displays the correct limit all the time, ignores the exit ramp speed unless we take that exit and can recognose the lorry speed signs by the bar underneath and also ignores them.

Just to be sure, is SR for standard range, and LR long range?
If yes, I do have a standard range (50 kWh), and it has ACC, as well as the front camera for ISA, IHC, LKA / LDW... maybe the product lines are different from UK?
Yeah, I'm talking UK specs. Didn't notice you were on the continent. are you in the new shape too then?

are you in the new shape too then?
The new shape, to be honest, I didn't even know there was an "older" shape for the MG5. MG isn't very popular yet in France, we've (French market) had the "old" shape of the ZS EV, the Marvel R, then the new ZS EV, the MG5 and the ZS. MG4 is coming too.
At my local retailer, I was the second person to order a MG5, so...

Check the CC stalk. I fell for that with the test drive model and it took me and the sales guy a short while to figure that out.
Unfortunately, even with ACC stalk on disabled, the Speed Assist option screen glitch, and none of the selection is reported visually on the screen (but applied nonetheless), and isn't saved between starts.
I will try to contact MG support, just to know if they are aware of the problem. I don't know if I'll get an answer tough, I never had to contact them
I'm in for the first service this weekend, so I'll see if there are any pending updates. Doubt it though.
Did the service went OK? Nothing concerning an update I guess?

Push the CC stalk right back so that Cruise Control is completely off. It won't let you activate the speed assist function when the stalk is in the cruise control position. it has to be in the speed assist position (i.e. pushed away from you)

You mention ACC but say you're in an SR. I thought the SR just had cruise, not ACC. I also thought that it doesn't have the camera needed for Intelligent Speed Assist, but I assume it still has the manual speed assist.

ISA is still useless anyway. As everyone has observed, it's wrong more than it's right, it turns off automatically every time you stop the car, and in the case of the 5LRs that I have driven (mine and the Chorley MG test drive one) it crashes and disables whenever it sees a 20 mph limit sign. Oh, and on most 30MPH roads around us (where this would be most useful) it assumes no limit.

Thank you. I hadn't tried with the stalk pushed all the way back. Been trying for weeks!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom