Does anyone think that the MG ‘7 Year warranty’ is misleading?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few people have been asking about warranty. On face value the warranty looks great - when you look at the detail most items actually get 12months to 36months warranty - only the HV batteries and motor the 7 Years? The warranty in my opinion should specifically state this up front if this is the case - it is misleading as it is and used as a big selling point by MG. One of the big exclusions is the infotainment system - only 3 Years - this is already proving fragile. It will be interesting to see how warranty claims are dealt with as the cars get older. Most people will think that they have nearly all of the cars main components covered under the 7 Year warranty when this is not the case. So, for example - if your car fails it’s first mot on dampers/struts/ball joints etc - these are not covered? Of course some may not keep their car long enough to be too bothered.
1611646650844.jpeg

One of the big exclusions is the infotainment system - only 3 Years - this is already proving fragile.
Its the same with the Kai 7 year warranty, audio/navigation units are only covered for the first 36 months.

So, for example - if your car fails it’s first mot on dampers/struts/ball joints etc - these are not covered?
A way around this is, you could always have your car MOT'd slightly early to identify any issues and have them rectified before the 36month deadline?

Nearly every car I've been involved with that had a warranty of some kind, has had so many exclusions or time limits that pretty much the only thing you could claim after a year or two would probably have been the screws holding the reg plates on.

The big ticket items (traction batteries, rust) would be the bits most peeps would worry about anyway. I wouldn't have expected much in the way of cover of most other items.

Suspension items are wear and tear - I’d be amazed if they were covered for the full term on any of these longer warranties from Kia etc.

Did nobody read this before buying their MG? 🤦‍♂️

Only Hyundai provides an almost comprehensive warranty that lasts 5 years.
Renault's 5 year warranty isn't bad, better than Toyota's actually.
There's a big post this morning on my Facebook group regarding the warranty.

Only Hyundai provides an almost comprehensive warranty that lasts 5 years.
Renault's 5 year warranty isn't bad, better than Toyota's actually.
There's a big post this morning on my Facebook group regarding the warranty.
Can you post on here?

I would assume, as that is a list of exceptions, that everything not mentioned on that list should be covered for the full 7 years.
Also, I'm not sure that they would get away legally with only 1 year on brake parts (parking brake adjustment) if it failed, when the first MOT is at 3 years.

I reckon that parking brake adjustment is a hangover from their ICE models with manual parking brakes where driver abuse could mean the cables stretch etc.

Can you post on here?
On closer reading Toyota actually covers any mechanical fault caused by manufacturing defect for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210126-132315.png
    Screenshot_20210126-132315.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 596
  • Screenshot_20210126-132452.png
    Screenshot_20210126-132452.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Screenshot_20210126-133217.png
    Screenshot_20210126-133217.png
    999 KB · Views: 566
I have a 7 year warranty sticker in my rear window. The sticker has a 7 year warranty;)
And that’s the legal approach I would take or support anyone else if needed to get this across the line...no one was told it was limited in anyway shape or form and I’ve kept the original documents and sales booklet too.

I think it is important to say that personally I am very pleased with the ZS and I would buy it again knowing what I know now. The build quality and value for money is so far really good - as is the early ownership experience for me. If anyone asks me I recommend they seriously take a look at the cars.
I do however still feel that MG should be more transparent with their warranty, and when I came across the exceptions list I thought it was disappointing. I know all manufacturers need to have exclusions and parameters for their warrantees - I just think that MG have deliberately made a 7 Year warranty front of shop in their marketing and should therefore be completely transparent on what it covers. Maybe I was a little caught up in the buying experience and should have checked and asked exactly what is covered (I’m still not completely sure) - I saw 7 Years and thought - that’s great. Perhaps the cars will be super-reliable, and perhaps MG will also honour most of the claims made under warranty, time will tell.

I think it is important to say that personally I am very pleased with the ZS and I would buy it again knowing what I know now. The build quality and value for money is so far really good - as is the early ownership experience for me. If anyone asks me I recommend they seriously take a look at the cars.
I do however still feel that MG should be more transparent with their warranty, and when I came across the exceptions list I thought it was disappointing. I know all manufacturers need to have exclusions and parameters for their warrantees - I just think that MG have deliberately made a 7 Year warranty front of shop in their marketing and should therefore be completely transparent on what it covers. Maybe I was a little caught up in the buying experience and should have checked and asked exactly what is covered (I’m still not completely sure) - I saw 7 Years and thought - that’s great. Perhaps the cars will be super-reliable, and perhaps MG will also honour most of the claims made under warranty, time will tell.
Fully agree with all that you’ve said, love my car, would strongly recommend, but let’s hope the backup is there if it’s ever needed.

TBH as an avid DIYer in the past, I wasn't pleased when cars started coming out with these longer warranties, tying you to service schedules and such. I used to enjoy tinkering, doing the oil changes and various checks as and when needed. But I must admit, as cars got more complex it started becoming more necessary to let the dealer do things.
Gone are the days of 12 months warranty and doing the first service yourself, fingers crossed nothing went wrong after that, but if it did it was easier to fix.

TBH as an avid DIYer in the past, I wasn't pleased when cars started coming out with these longer warranties, tying you to service schedules and such. I used to enjoy tinkering, doing the oil changes and various checks as and when needed. But I must admit, as cars got more complex it started becoming more necessary to let the dealer do things.
Gone are the days of 12 months warranty and doing the first service yourself, fingers crossed nothing went wrong after that, but if it did it was easier to fix.
You still have the moggy to keep you busy...

I'll be honest, anything beyond the servicing/warranty work, I'll probably do myself. Once it's out of warranty, there's not much point in paying the premium..

Just discovered that "warranty" applies only while in Britain. If on holiday in Europe there is zero warranty according to MG Motors UK. Another exclusion not mentioned.

Just discovered that "warranty" applies only while in Britain. If on holiday in Europe there is zero warranty according to MG Motors UK. Another exclusion not mentioned.
The warranty applies wherever the car is if it's a UK car, it's just the AA cover that doesn't extend abroad. In other words, if it breaks down abroad then you have the responsibility to get it back to the UK.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom