Does anyone think the wheels look small?

Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Dear all,
Everyone that has seen my car thinks it looks great, but most have all said that wheels look small. I’ve said the wheels are 17 inch and are okay, but is it the tyres that are fairly low in profile 50..does anyone know if you can fit a larger profile wheel say 60 to the car and if you can what difference it would make.
Can anyone advise??

I would say that if you change the effective diameter of the wheel (either by bigger wheels, or simply with higher profile tyres) then you'll mess up a number of calibrated systems within the car. The first clearly is the speedometer (both analog and digital read-outs) as the car will now be travelling faster than the car thinks it is, so the speedo will under-read - dangerous if you want to keep your license (you could use the speed readout on your favourite sat-nav and avoid the dashboard, but that sounds fraught with problems). Secondly, the GOM will be thrown out, as again the car is travelling further than it thinks it is. I'm finding the GOM on the MG to be very accurate as it is, so I wouldn't want to mess with it. Thirdly, new wheels may have different (or missing) wireless pressure senders, so you'll loose the tyre pressure read-outs on the dash (which I find very helpful). I'm not sure if the speedo out of calibration issue will fail an MOT - someone else can hopefully inform us here.
My conclusion would therefore be - leave well alone! BTW the wheel size is the same as the Kia e-Niro and my big Volvo V70, so I'm not sure what the fuss it about - I think they look perfectly proportioned :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom