Does snow mode in Xpower use AWD?

dnwilson01

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
As per thread title, interested to find out if the Xpower used AWD in Snow mode. I live at the top of a long hill which means that nearly every year we end up having to abandon the car at the bottom and walk up. Hoping that AWD might help.

As per thread title, interested to find out if the Xpower used AWD in Snow mode. I live at the top of a long hill which means that nearly every year we end up having to abandon the car at the bottom and walk up. Hoping that AWD might help.
Next time I go out I will check for you.👍

Not to dump on @dnwilson01, but I can't understand anyone who has once had to abandon their car in snow and walk up a hill home not immediately getting the tyres for the job. I got the message in December 2009 when my Golf was 3 months old, took the advice being offered on the GTi forum at the time, and the car transformed from Bambi on an ice rink to a Landrover facsimile. Never looked back.

Good Morning dnwilson01
In answer to the only question you appeared to ask in your post.........
No. AWD is not available in Snow mode.
Permanent 4WD Can be selected in sport mode though if required.
HTH
I was going to explain what you could, or couldn't do, within the limitations of the systems, the various modes or in fact tyre choice, but you haven't asked.
Good Day.
👍🤣
20230925_083609.jpg

Not to dump on @dnwilson01, but I can't understand anyone who has once had to abandon their car in snow and walk up a hill home not immediately getting the tyres for the job. I got the message in December 2009 when my Golf was 3 months old, took the advice being offered on the GTi forum at the time, and the car transformed from Bambi on an ice rink to a Landrover facsimile. Never looked back.
This happened to me and lots of others in 2018. We had the dreaded stuff and I had to abandon on the bypass.

Nobody here switched to winter tyres simply because it is so rare - snow was gone the following day, collected the car and it has not happened since and it was ten years before that when something similar happened.

So... does depend on the local climate.

The UK has the smallest average house size in Europe, and we need winter tires no more than a handfull of days a year (reducing with climate change). I can understand why very few people can store an extra set of tires for the winter. But hey, I'm in the south, no doubt there's colder places north of me.

It does depend on local conditions of course, but the OP said he finds he has to abandon his car and walk home nearly every year. I wouldn't have bothered with winter tyres when I lived in Sussex, but in Scotland - virtually everywhere apart from the coastal fringes in the south (where the palm trees grow) - you know you're going to catch it most years. It's not just a here and gone thing either, deep snow cover can last a week or two and recur several times during the winter.

As regards storage, if you don't have garage or shed space, go for all seasons. Or do what a guy on the Golf GTi forum did (warning, do not try this on the MG4). He only used two winter tyres on the front wheels. He had a piece of hardboard cut to exactly the circumference of the tyres. He stacked the two unused ones on top of each other in the living room, put the hardboard on top, and covered the lot with a circular tablecloth that reached to the floor. Instant coffee table.

Last edited:
As regards storage, if you don't have garage or shed space, go for all seasons. Or do what a guy on the Golf GTi forum did (warning, do not try this on the MG4). He only used two winter tyres on the front wheels. He had a piece of hardboard cut to exactly the circumference of the tyres. He stacked the two unused ones on top of each other in the living room, put the hardboard on top, and covered the lot with a circular tablecloth that reached to the floor. Instant coffee table.
Beats my mate having a modern piece of art on the kitchen table that looks surprisingly like an AJS engine.

Yes it does.
Just picked one up today.
Energy flow shows 4wd on snow and sport.

Yes it does.
Just picked one up today.
Energy flow shows 4wd on snow and sport.
You sure m8?
In Snow??
Gotta check that again now.....
Not now, tomorrow!
I could swear it didnt show both motors in Snow.
Perhaps I'm losing it.
Happy to be wrong though 👍🤣

Just to add, when I took the picture (up above somewhere)
I was doing less than 10mph in Snow Mode.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom