• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Does the ZS EV come with a Type 2 cable as standard?

This is interesting, I had just assumed (I really should stop that!) that an electric car would come with a charging cable! Albeit they do come with the granny cable, at 27hours for a full charge, that really would be an emergency / last resort choice.

I've been checking now when looking at the MG ZS EV and being quoted £145 for the type 2 cable. However, I can't see that I have see any charging points which require a cable where I am, they are all tethered charge points, and given that I would be going for a tethered home charger (thanks to the info above primarily!), I think I'll do without it for now. Unless they throw it in.

Comes with 3-pin and CCS but not type 2 although many dealers will throw one in.

Last edited:
You're going to need a Type 2 cable for all destination chargers. I used one last weekend when visiting Meadowhall, I charged from 40% to full while shopping there. I have never seen a tethered destination ('Fast' - 7 to 22kw) charger. All the tethered chargers I have seen are rapids.
I don't think charging with a granny cable is necessarily a bad idea. Probably kinder to the battery. Following my change in circumstances, I no longer have access to a 7kw home charger, so pretty much all my charging is done via a granny cable under the garage door.

Ooooh Stuart you are quick I was just about to post the findings!!

Cardiff MG showroom confirm that the car does NOT come with the Type 2 to Type 2 cable but the granny charger ONLY. They referred me to Amazon to purchase it.
Yup asked Nathanial the same question recently and was told no. Quoted around 170 for 5m one, picked up 10m with bag for 160 online

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I argued this fact with my dealer and was eventually put in touch with my local MG brand director; I argued that it was not clear in the Boucher and stated that if I bought a computer I wouldn’t expect to then go and buy another power lead to operate it, he agreed and said that he would ensure a type 2 charging lead would be in the car upon collection, this has been confirmed in email and therefore I would try and argue the point and see if you can be successful like me. See below

Dear Mr Holmes,

Many thanks for taking my call, as discussed I can confirm I have ordered you a charging cable that will be supplied at no cost to yourself, I’m liaising with Rolec to see if there’s anything that can be done regarding the installation of the charge point, however because they are an outside Company I have very little influence on the outcome.

Please email the quotes ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Peter Wilcox

nonetheless, I personally recommend a 10 meter cable (or at least 7.5 meters) for public charging, had many situations where the 5 meters were simply not enough ...

okay, it is a little more cumbersome to handle, but if the cable is only 2cm too short, you have lost;)

And for battery health AC is always preferable to DC charging!

Here in Austria it does come with type 2 charger free of charge!

You got a "Ziegel" or "Schnarchlader" Schuko 2 Type2 loading - its fairly useless for traveling.

A mobile Charger with lots of Options (CEE16,CEE32, no Ground for Norway) for traveling is the Juice Booster from Juice Technology - best of all, 300€ grant!
Limitation is still the onboard charger in our MG, --> 6.6 kW

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom