Door handle sticks in out position

3sheds

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The other day i was about to drive off and noticed the door driver's door was open. I tried closing it again from the inside and it still wouldn't close. It took sometime before i realised the door handle was sticking in the out position!

So now I try to make sure when i open the door that the handle hasn't stuck out before i get in. I will try squirting it with some wd40 today to see if it solved the issue.

The other day i was about to drive off and noticed the door driver's door was open. I tried closing it again from the inside and it still wouldn't close. It took sometime before i realised the door handle was sticking in the out position!

So now I try to make sure when i open the door that the handle hasn't stuck out before i get in. I will try squirting it with some wd40 today to see if it solved the issue.
Use the silicon variety :) Was a common occurrence a while ago.

External handles sticking is fairly common on the ZS EV models, especially in the colder weather.
The WD people do a good range of silicone / PTFE / White Lithium based spray grease.
This is great for spraying on the locking mechanisms / hinges and the door check straps.

External handles sticking is fairly common on the ZS EV models, especially in the colder weather.
The WD people do a good range of silicone / PTFE / White Lithium based spray grease.
This is great for spraying on the locking mechanisms / hinges and the door check straps.
Thanks for the info chaps, mine did this a couple of days ago, a good slam curred the problem as I hadn't realised the handle was sticking. Lubrication is tomorrow's job.

The issue with the sticking is not just lubricant but if you take it to your dealer they file the metal down as a permanent fix.

Also be aware that the door handle can stick in a position which allows the door to close and lock.
However, although I could unlock the car, I couldn't open the door from inside necessitating a climb across the passenger seat.

Now that I know that set of conditions can occur (and what the cause is), next time I'll wind down the window and push the handle in. :)

Thanks for the info chaps, mine did this a couple of days ago, a good slam curred the problem as I hadn't realised the handle was sticking. Lubrication is tomorrow's job.
also always lubricate the door handles .. now the passenger door handle remained open with me, I thought to lubricate again, but now I saw that a piece of rubber from the door handle is loose ... maybe it happened to the frost. has anyone had this? And can I remove the rubber? or is it to make the handle watertight?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom