Drive longer than range

Ianm1969

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hopefully picking my zs lr up next week so doing the old google research. One thing which is hurting my brain is longer route planning. So many apps, so many charging options.

In view of this, what do people use on here. Ideally, map with updates and stop off and charge points, speed alerts, all the usual stuff I guess.

Happy to use either android auto or the built in one.

Also, charging. Wow, so many options. Is it not like a petrol station? Fill up, go and tap your card on the reader, drive off. Do i really need lots of different accounts and apps?

I find them on Zap-map but have my favourites like PodPoint due to price and Instavolt due to reliability.

For long trips ABRP sorts it all out for you.

If you have a suitable OBD2 dongle it will connect to that and learn how you drive as well.

For longer trips I set to it only use CCS sites with 4 or more chargers.

It also knows which Tesla sites you can use.

It makes long distance trips a much more relaxing event.

this range extender gives more miles do it yourself generator

Attachments

• range extender.jpg
    range extender.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 94
If you are going for long range trips then get:

Tesla App
Ionity App
Instavolt App

For Scotland, SWARCO (Charge Place Scotland) App.

Most Rapid Chargers now accept payment by CC or DC. But it can be useful to have the apps.

WattsUp is a good app for finding chargers in areas you are not familiar with.

I use Google maps to plan my journey, then use WattsUp to plot the journey and look at the overview on the app and try and find an area/location about 150-180 miles from start point where there are multiple charger locations, such as for example some instavolts and some Osprey etc fairly near to each other, then google maps to my first choice knowing I have options.
I like WattsUp for this process of finding chargers at a distance I want to stop at. for example see attached.

Screenshot_20220909-085359.png

Last edited:
ABRP plans the route and sorts out the chargers. For actually following the route you can then get ABRP to hand the route over to Google Maps :)

Saves a lot of faffing about.

I do like WattsUP for finding Chargers in an area I am not familiar with.

ABRP plans the route and sorts out the chargers. For actually following the route you can then get ABRP to hand the route over to Google Maps :)

Saves a lot of faffing about.

I do like WattsUP for finding Chargers in an area I am not familiar with.
ABRP does that and works really well for many, but I prefer to choose my own chargers/stopping point and I use WattsUp and Zapmap to figure those out.
Personally, and like all these apps, we all have our own favourites and ways of doing things, I have found ABRP without a subscription to be more fussy, lots of options to pick, beginnng SOC, SOC at end, SOC at charger, slower with less stops, quicker with more stops and so on, picking stops way before I would stop and only adding 15-25% then stopping again etc. etc.
Stopping for small percentages to me is a waste of time, these days I prefer a longer stop for a coffee as I'm no longer in a rush to get anywhere.
All these planners are really useful when you first drive EVs but I think that once you have done a few longer journeys you get to know how long before you will want to stop for whatever reason, or that the car will need a charge and plan accordingly. For me I'm happy to stop at around the 150-180 mile range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom