Drive Mode

matthew O

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi. New to the HS Plug-in.
Love the car and trying to get more into the running’s of it.

Which mode is best to drive in. It auto sets Default. But you can select medium or High.

Should I always be driving in medium or high as this somewhat charges the battery?
Which Is best overall for the car and getting the most out of the hybrid capabilities

Thanks all

Personally I think it's very inefficient to use the running of the ICE to keep the battery charged in medium or high mode. This is because your ICE mpg will go down as you are using some of it to keep the battery charged , and at over £6 a gallon that's an expensive way of doing it. High mode is used if you are towing a caravan as you need the extra power.
In default mode it will charge it a little on a long journey where you are in ICE.
On short journeys , you can use the EV button to keep it in EV mode ( as long as the heater is not on etc )and not use the ICE at all.
I can go weeks without using the ICE , when I'm doing local journeys under 30 odd miles. Then I charge it over night on a cheap rate 5 p a kWh so it costs only 71 p to fully charge the battery.

I agree with jem111111 each time you turn the car off it will reset to default when you turn on next time. I did a journey from Elstree to the over side of Norwich did the first 32 miles on EV then the next 65 miles with ICE and set to high mode, i put 79% back in but at a cost of 25 mpg, 79% is the maximum you can put in with the ICE.
Better to just run around on hybrid in the cold morning then after a few miles move over to EV mode and the car heating will heat the car in EV until the ICE water cools down then will start to up to top up the heat in the water.
just a over point you can not drive around in cold weather with frosty window or misted windows because you do not wish to use petrol as this will now be a fine and points o license.

ps also if you do not clear snow of the top and all windows

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom