Drive off without key

Dt99idr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So I had to rescue my wife yesterday after she drove off to the allotment without the key...
Seems crazy that she could do that. Not sure where the key was when she started the car, but I found it in the back door.

We did a similar thing. I had the keys in my pocket and was driving we stop and I jumped out for my wife tp go onto somewhere else and luckily she only got to the corner before it pinged and I ran over and put the keys through the open window😆

Not done that with the MG yet but did it once with a Range Rover Evoque when I dropped Mrs C off and went to park the car. Wondered why it wouldn’t lock then realised my error. Never did it again.

Not crazy, it's a safety feature, imagine driving along the motorway and the key fob battery expires.
Is it better for the car to carry on going or to suddenly stop ?
The car does warn you when it doesn't detect the key.

I did it with an ice vehicle many years ago, but the other way round. Had a brain fart and left the keys in the ignition, with the engine running, when I got out and manually locked the door :rolleyes::(:sleep:

A VW Tech once told me that with keyless entry cars, it is possible to start the car and then remove the keys from the car and drive away.
He said it is possible to make a long journey and return without the keys even being inside of the car.
Never tested this theory !.
But, if you stop the car a long way from home and the key is NOT in the car, it will not restart the car of course.
Imagine being 100+ miles away from home and only then realise that you have left the key at home, when you have just turned off the car - Dooh !.

A VW Tech once told me that with keyless entry cars, it is possible to start the car and then remove the keys from the car and drive away.
He said it is possible to make a long journey and return without the keys even being inside of the car.
Never tested this theory !.
But, if you stop the car a long way from home and the key is NOT in the car, it will not restart the car of course.
Imagine being 100+ miles away from home and only then realise that you have left the key at home, when you have just turned off the car - Dooh !.
This is where over the air stuff comes into it’s own. Teslas can be unlocked remotely and enabled for driving, so if your car is parked somewhere and you want someone else to drive it you can unlock it and start it for them remotely.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom