Driver's door trim removal (to access stuck down window).

rpannell

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
My ZS EV is currently in one of the Stansted Airport car parks with its driver's window stuck down. When I collect the car from the airport, I then have 250 miles to drive home in the dark, cold and possibly rain. If I cannot get the AA to assist with a temporary repair I will wish to see if I can make a temporary repair myself. So my question is, has anyone removed the door panel to access the window mechanism? If so, was it easy and what tools are required (so I can buy them before returning to the car). My door wiring loom was replaced 10 mts ago at its first service. Thanks in advance.

Actually, I've just found this video for the removal of the front door trim, so this probably answers my question -

Nightmare scenario.
Did you check the more obvious stuff like a blown fuse?

I had no time to check anything when I arrived at the airport as I had to catch the plane. I fly back in at the end of this week when I will check what I can. Currently, there is a bit of old black plastic covering the hole.
Can someone measure the size of clear plastic I may need to cover the window please. Looking at pictures of the ZS, I'm guessing that a piece around 0.55 X 1.1M will be big enough to be tucked around the door frame to cover the window area, with a hole cut in it to see the wing mirror. Alternatively, I may see if the AA can help me.

1480 high 902 wide, make the height a little bit more of you want to close the door on it.temember and buy masking tape, good luck

Apparently common to VAG cars of 15-20 years ago, I had it on a Skoda of that era. Winder issues. What's that about the VAG parts bin now?

3M VHD tape will also be good for sticking down a temp plastic insert. A small thick plastic tablecloth wrapped and trapped around the door might have the same effect?

An update on the drivers door window, in case it helps others with the same problem:
The driver's door wiring loom was replaced but this did not solve the problem. The MG dealer than contacted MG who suggested checking the rear parking sensors. One of these had water damage. All I can assume is that the windows, wing mirrors and parking sensors are all on the same data bus so a damaged item can corrupt the data signals. I'm collecting the car later today after 10 days at the dealer.

I'd have thought a standard OBD diagnostic would check for data bus errors.
Do we infer that replacing a parking sensor fixed the window problem then?

Strange to think that the faulty rear sensor, was the root cause of only ONE of the electric window failing to operate ?.
What else is strange is how MG knew this 🤔
The X Files Remix GIF

I have come across situations on other cars where a failed (or sometimes disconnected) component causes CANBUS errors that then present as a fault on something entirely disassociated.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom