Drivers side ripping rubber door seal MG EV 5 year 2020

Hi Has anyone a problem with door rubber door seals ripping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M Jones

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
IMG_20230207_125036.jpg

A relative had the same problem with this BMW 3 series, they replaced it once under warranty, but then blamed the owner when the seal ripped the second time.
This was a brand new car, but other owners had the same issue.

Inevitable on the MG5 given how far forward the door pillar is. I went into the showroom to buy a 5, found I couldn't get in & out comfortably, bought a ZS.....

Inevitable on the MG5 given how far forward the door pillar is. I went into the showroom to buy a 5, found I couldn't get in & out comfortably, bought a ZS.....
Yeah - The windscreen “A” pillar post on some cars, can be really steep.
You find yourself trying to avoid it by pushing back against the “B” frame and therefore rubbing away at the door seal.
The ZS has a higher ride hight and makes getting in and out much easier, especially if you have any mobility problems.

Main Dealer replaced door rubber under warranty !
This time yes 👍.
My brother had a similar issue with a BMW 3 series he once owned.
It failed in almost the same identical place to the seal in your car at about 12 months old.
BMW replaced it under warranty FOC.
The second seal failed again when the car was just two years old.
They told him if it failed for the third time, they would not pick up bill as they then considered it as “User Error”.

Sadly the Door rubber has ripped again!
Am I the only MG EV 5 owner with this issue???
So far it appears you are the only one mentioning this. Mine is OK, so I can't offer any help really.

If it is only you, obvious question has to be is there anything in particular causing this in your case ? Is the bodywork out of shape ? Is this often rubbed against ? etc. etc..

I have a rip similar to the above but it's not as bad. It's not getting any worse either so I've tended to ignore it.

fwiw, my car has been through 2 services (incl a so-called 'Major' service) and it hasn't been noticed by the dealership. Or it has and they're saying nothing :)

So far it appears you are the only one mentioning this. Mine is OK, so I can't offer any help really.

If it is only you, obvious question has to be is there anything in particular causing this in your case ? Is the bodywork out of shape ? Is this often rubbed against ? etc. etc..
I have the same problem. A big chunk is gone. I recon I must be brushing it when getting in but I hadn't noticed I was.

I remember a close relative, once buying a brand new BMW 3 series.
After only a few months of ownership, he noticed that a section of the rubber inner door seal, had become ripped and torn on the driver side.
It was reported to BMW and they replaced it under warranty.
Six months later, the same door seal had ripped in the same location.
They check it and replaced it again, but said if it ripped again, they wanted paying for the job the next time.
They implied that my relative was the cause of the problem, as he was dragging against the door seal as he entered the car.
Of cause he was not that happy with this approach, so the next time it ripped, he just disregarded the problem altogether and moved on !.
The car was part exchanged at a much later date in time and it was part exchanged to the garage in the very same condition.

Hi there,
After 17 months of use, I've noticed mine doing the same, so am now trying enter the car clear of the seal, this also happened on my Pre MG5 2008 Pug 308, but it wasn't really a problem only cosmetic.

For those guys with this issue, any chance you wear trousers with a zip on the back pocket? I had the same problem years ago and it was caused by my pocket zip sawing across the seal when I got into the car.

Just replaced a rear rubber bought from local mg to me . Cost was around £25 fit myself 10 minute job .Not under warranty for me as I'm over 80k miles now

I've put a narrow strip of Gorilla Tape over the split in my driver door rubber seal.

At least with it being shiny/smooth, it should fend off any more dragging from my clothing as I get in, hopefully....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom