Drivetrain knocking noise when cold?

n0de

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

I just wanted to check in with others to see if I have a potential issue.

When I pull away 'cold' - ie: car hasnt been used for a few hours (or first thing in the morning) there's a slight knocking noise coming from the front of the car...if I was to describe it, it'd be like the sound of a bearing/front driveshaft on the way out. (sound gets faster as you speed up)

Goes away after a few seconds, but is more noticeable when you pull away slowly up a hill (as I do every morning)

Car has just over 1000k on the clock and hasn't been kerbed or knocked - and the sound happens when the steering is pointing straight (haven't checked at full lock)

...anyone else?

Hi,

I just wanted to check in with others to see if I have a potential issue.

When I pull away 'cold' - ie: car hasnt been used for a few hours (or first thing in the morning) there's a slight knocking noise coming from the front of the car...if I was to describe it, it'd be like the sound of a bearing/front driveshaft on the way out. (sound gets faster as you speed up)

Goes away after a few seconds, but is more noticeable when you pull away slowly up a hill (as I do every morning)

Car has just over 1000k on the clock and hasn't been kerbed or knocked - and the sound happens when the steering is pointing straight (haven't checked at full lock)

...anyone else?
Something jammed in the brake/calliper area? Even some debris on the disc face can cause odd noises.

A knackered CV joint usually knocks worse when the steering is turned, if it's only when it's straight it's probably not that.
Have you checked the tyres for anything stuck in them ?

thanks for the replies, not a brake issue as the sound is there every time I start from 'cold' ...convincing the dealer is going to be a challenge, unless they want to sit at the bottom of a hill for 15min then pull away :(

what i notice is that after a few days of idling, you can feel the tires wobble a bit and especially in cold weather..that is completely normal with such a heavy car. after a few kilometers it is gone.

what i notice is that after a few days of idling, you can feel the tires wobble a bit and especially in cold weather..that is completely normal with such a heavy car. after a few kilometers it is gone.
Wow, never noticed that on a car, unless it's been stood for several months or it has old or cheap tyres on it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom