• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Driving car away without key

I guess the solution to this is to turn the car off every time you leave the driver's seat.

So today going in hospital for a Operation my wife has only drove my MG ZS EV long range connect twice , I drove to hospital and then handed car over to her to go straight home due to heavy snow. I jumped out of car without switching off , Came in to hospital and got to reception felt in my pocket and realised I had the keys. Panicked as didn’t have signal to phone her in building , stepped outside managed to get a signal called her by this time she was half way home probably 4 miles. My question is how far would the car drive without cutting out ? If she stopped off at a shop and switched ignition off , it wouldn’t restart that I do know , But if the car would let her drive further say 30 miles it would be crazy as once she press stop button , it won’t start without key. Because you can unlock and lock car at door handle , I tend to keep keys in my pocket. I’m sure this could happen to anyone, yes you can say I should leave key in centre console. I was as popular as a fart in a space suit believe me.
This is essentially how theives use a repeater to steal keyless cars. The repeater boosts and sends the signal from the key in your house to the car allowing it to be started. The theif then drives away, it's a vulnerability on all keyless cars.

Most people would, I believe, keep their keys in a faraday box or pouch when they are not using their vehicle. They are relatively inexpensive, and provide a layer of security for a valuable asset.
Even though my car is kept in a locked and alarmed garage, I still use a faraday box. You can’t be too careful 😄

Most people would, I believe, keep their keys in a faraday box or pouch when they are not using their vehicle. They are relatively inexpensive, and provide a layer of security for a valuable asset.
Even though my car is kept in a locked and alarmed garage, I still use a faraday box. You can’t be too careful 😄
I do as does my wife with her Nissan but plenty of people don't!

This is essentially how theives use a repeater to steal keyless cars. The repeater boosts and sends the signal from the key in your house to the car allowing it to be started. The theif then drives away, it's a vulnerability on all keyless cars.
Not really.

On a Tesla, they will not be able to open the locked door with this method, if you only use the credit card unlock feature.

Also...If your carkey is kept in a metallic keybox (Does not have to be fully enclosed, just need to dampen the signal "enough") inside your house it will be okay as well..

You can not also get faraday cage carkey boxes and pouches

Just like for your credit card.

For example something like this.

If I leave my key inside my house I can’t open the doors using the door button 15 ft away

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom