Driving Characteristics

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Haven't test driven yet so the answer to this isn't obvious to me :)
When in Drive, does the car "creep" in the same way an automatic ICE car would or does it remain stationary unless you press the accelerator?
If the latter is the case, does the drive motor hold the car stationary even if it is on an incline?

Yes the car creeps unless you are on an incline, just like an auto would. You have to control the car with the brake if you are in a traffic queue. If you stop on an incline with the footbrake, then the auto hold handbrake stays on for about 1-2secs to stop it rolling back whilst you transfer your foot from brake to accelerator. It's all pretty intuitive and works well (so far!).

Yes the car creeps unless you are on an incline, just like an auto would. You have to control the car with the brake if you are in a traffic queue. If you stop on an incline with the footbrake, then the auto hold handbrake stays on for about 1-2secs to stop it rolling back whilst you transfer your foot from brake to accelerator. It's all pretty intuitive and works well (so far!).
Hill hold control holds the brakes for 1-2 seconds, not Auto hold.
Auto hold is a completely different thing, if you put Auto hold on, with the "A" switch, then the parking brake will hold for longer, i.e. until you press the accelerator.

I was surprised to find that it's actually possible to roll back on an incline in D. The creep is fairly strong; too strong in my opinion, trying to keep your speed at a constant 4mph on the flat so you're actively braking against it every time you stop or want to go slower.

I don't think you actually brake against creep when you're stopped, if you look at the energy flow display, the car cuts power to the motor when you press the brake. I guess you may be though when just maintaining low speed.

Hill hold control holds the brakes for 1-2 seconds, not Auto hold.
Auto hold is a completely different thing, if you put Auto hold on, with the "A" switch, then the parking brake will hold for longer, i.e. until you press the accelerator.
I stand corrected. I've never used the auto hold as I didn't know it existed :) . Can't see me needing it TBH as the hill hold does everything I need.

I don't think you actually brake against creep when you're stopped, if you look at the energy flow display, the car cuts power to the motor when you press the brake. I guess you may be though when just maintaining low speed.
Interesting point. It would seem a bit retrogressive to be powering the motor at the same time as holding the car at a standstill. But the whole process is very seamless (no sudden changes in drive power as the brake is released etc) so the electronics control stuff must be pretty clever I think - or else the electric motor is actually being stalled. As you say, if you are constantly braking with the footbrake to control the speed in a slowly moving traffic queue, then this is probably one of the least economical modes of locomotion - using the battery to heat the brakes :)

No, I'm sure it cuts power when you actually stop, but the bit between 4mph and 0 you are definitely braking against the creep which is not great. I often slip into neutral to avoid it.

I stand corrected. I've never used the auto hold as I didn't know it existed :) . Can't see me needing it TBH as the hill hold does everything I need.
Same here, I don't use the Auto Hold, just the Hill Hold Control when I need it. 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom