Driving during Monsoon

Rajesh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all
I own a MG ZS EV for little over 2 months now, in India .
Any precautions to drive during monsoon ?
Can ZS EV be driven through water logged roads ?
Also the infotainment system screen goes blank suddenly while driving, this is intermittently though and comes back once you stop and restart the car . What’s the fox for that ? ...thnx

The car will be better driving through floods than an ICE car. The only issue will be the door seals not keeping water out.

As for the stereo, quite a few people have experienced their infotainment crashing and rebooting. Mine did it and no matter how many times I turned the car on and off it wouldn't reboot. Eventually after 20 minutes of driving it rebooted itself.

I mean driving through water logged rods will not damage the battery ? Any precautions? What about charging while it’s raining

Charging in the rain is fine - they are designed with this in mind. the HV battery is sealed and has a water resistance rating. All should be ok - just apply common sense and avoid deep water.

Hi Rajesh, the battery pack is waterproof. They showcased the ability of the car to handle waterlogging when it was launched. I am waiting for the Mumbai Monsoons to test it out myself.

Regarding the infotainment it is a known bug, i have faced it a couple of times, but not in last 1 month (after we got an update)

Hi Rajesh, the battery pack is waterproof. They showcased the ability of the car to handle waterlogging when it was launched. I am waiting for the Mumbai Monsoons to test it out myself.

Regarding the infotainment it is a known bug, i have faced it a couple of times, but not in last 1 month (after we got an update)
Interesting , nice to connect with you. Yes, my question was for Mumbai type rains only OR even a small rain causes Waterlog in our country, So I am afraid, how will it behave . Lets keep in touch to share experiences .
I have this infotainment bug only after last upgrade ;-)

Hi, another fellow ZS EV owner from Mumbai, India. My infotainment seems to be working fine after the OTA update but I have challenge with using android auto. It keeps getting disconnected frequently. I think it's to do with the cable. Any recommendations frm the group?

I too am interested in testing thr car in the rains Mumbai experience experiences. Hope to find no leakages...

I am not very worried about the battery in the rains... but I am not too confident either...
(not much water here)
(little more, also talks about the IP67 rating here)

However I recently saw a what's under video, and the electric motor looks pretty much exposed at the bottom. I am not sure if the motor got water-resistant certificate. It is not impossible, EV motors are in fact supposed to be water-resistant.

Is anyone worried about the low ground clearance of the car? I drive extremely cautiously and slowly at every speed breaks, little extra speed and they invariably scratch the underside of the car... :(

D70EBDA5-8686-4E6F-9EAD-D4CEA30DAB6F.png

(Taken from that video you mention) It is IP67 rated - Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins

I am not very worried about the battery in the rains... but I am not too confident either...
(not much water here)

However I recently saw a what's under video, and the electric motor looks pretty much exposed at the bottom. I am not sure if the motor got water-resistant certificate. It is not impossible, EV motors are in fact supposed to be water-resistant.

Is anyone worried about the low ground clearance of the car? I drive extremely cautiously and slowly at every speed breaks, little extra speed and they invariably scratch the underside of the car... :(

Regarding ground clearance - I think the ZS is ok - I’ve had much lower. It should cope with most stuff - unless you intend some serious off-roading!

Regarding ground clearance - I think the ZS is ok - I’ve had much lower. It should cope with most stuff - unless you intend some serious off-roading!
Sadly, it isn't enough for Indian roads. ALthough the official guidances suggest that the "height of the speed bumps should be 0.1 metre with a chord length of 3.7 metre and radius of 17 metre." more than half of Mumbai speed-breakers, for example, do not follow that norm. In my experience, if I am not extremely careful, I always encounter 1 or 2 "bumpers" which brushes against the underbelly of the car, especially if the car is loaded with 4 adults. It was the same with my previous car (VW Polo, 165mm). MG ZS EV's ground clearance is 160mm.

Sadly, it isn't enough for Indian roads. ALthough the official guidances suggest that the "height of the speed bumps should be 0.1 metre with a chord length of 3.7 metre and radius of 17 metre." more than half of Mumbai speed-breakers, for example, do not follow that norm. In my experience, if I am not extremely careful, I always encounter 1 or 2 "bumpers" which brushes against the underbelly of the car, especially if the car is loaded with 4 adults. It was the same with my previous car (VW Polo, 165mm). MG ZS EV's ground clearance is 160mm.
Do you have any pics of the ‘speed breakers’?

Do you have any pics of the ‘speed breakers’?
Well, I don't have one right now, but I can see petitions on change.org

they cause a lot of damage and deaths

and only very recently, the government initiated a project to remove damaging speed breakers

as suggested, "a minimum of 170-180mm of ground clearance is required on the Indian roads. Note that this is the figure for an unladen car."

(not much water here)

Is anyone worried about the low ground clearance of the car? I drive extremely cautiously and slowly at every speed breaks, little extra speed and they invariably scratch the underside of the car...

Re assuring videos

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom