Driving off without the key!

mlsaksiri

Standard Member
Reaction score
We took over an MG ZS EV driven to us by another person and then drove off without realizing that he still had the key! The car was not turned off at the hand over and was in ready-to-drive mode. There was no alarms or other warnings that we could notice as we started driving. Only after reaching a stop 30 minutes later and turning off the car that we realized that there was no key in the car. There was nothing to do but to call and ask for the key to be driven to us. Definitely a bug in the firmware. An alarm should have gone off within first 50 meters away from the key.

Lots of keyless entry cars are like this. Does it not display any kind of warning on the screen though?

We took over an MG ZS EV driven to us by another person and then drove off without realizing that he still had the key! The car was not turned off at the hand over and was in ready-to-drive mode. There was no alarms or other warnings that we could notice as we started driving. Only after reaching a stop 30 minutes later and turning off the car that we realized that there was no key in the car. There was nothing to do but to call and ask for the key to be driven to us. Definitely a bug in the firmware. An alarm should have gone off within first 50 meters away from the key.
Yep, a deeply stupid feature. My last car, an Outlander could do exactly the same as well!

The feature isn't stupid, its a safety feature so that the car wont suddenly cut out if communication is lost with the key(battery flat etc).

What is stupid, is the lack of warning that the key isn't present in the cabin, especially given that pre 'Comfort 2' update, the horn blasting when the key was present in the car!

If I start my car then get out and move away a distance, a message comes up on the display (with a corresponding plong) that says "no smart key detected" or something. I'm not sure how long that goes on, but it's there

If I start my car then get out and move away a distance, a message comes up on the display (with a corresponding plong) that says "no smart key detected" or something. I'm not sure how long that goes on, but it's there
It goes off all the time i'm out of the car locking garage and opening the gates.

My neighbour had the same problem with his BMW X1 petrol on xmas eve ,only his car cut out at the junction to a roundabout on a busy by-pass near a retail park12 miles from home .i drove him through with the keys for his daughter .it took over an hour due traffic mainly caused by his car and of course xmas eve.whilst driving thro he said lots of things had gone wrong for him this xmas ,hope thats it now. Just then his mobile rang and his daughter told him that a bus had come too close passing him on the roundabout and scaped along every panel on his car... Maybe its a good thing that the MG didn't cut out and you were safely parked when you realised . But i agree there should be warning bells within 100m for sure. ive done it myself with my wife driving but only to nip into a shop etc ,so no distance . Its easy to forget.

My Ford kuga used to bleep when the key wasn't in the car ,so at least the driver could shout for the keys back before driving off.

My Ford kuga used to bleep when the key wasn't in the car ,so at least the driver could shout for the keys back before driving off.
My 2011 Mk4 Mondeo and (traded in 😕) 2017 XC60 both displayed messages to the effect of “key outside car“. Although you could drive off with no key, you would be ignoring visual/audible warnings.

I thought it would be the law that if you didnt have to insert your key into the ignition then it would tell you. I will have to check my car now (MG 5)

VW models operate in the very same way.
It is possible to start the car and then remove the key, then drive from one end of the country to the other with no problem at all !.
But the minute you power the car down, you will need the key to start the car again.
If you are going on a long journey, don't forget to take your key !.

Not my GTD...it flashed and sounded all kinds of warnings if you left without the key

How about keeping spare key fob in Faraday pouch ‘hidden’ in car. Probably haven’t thought this through, but it’s just an idea.

Not my GTD...it flashed and sounded all kinds of warnings if you left without the key
Was it fitted with the keyless entry system, I would suspect not, that is why.
My previous GTE had the keyless entry option and would allow it.
It was the senior Tech at my local dealer who advice me about this condition.

Any vehicle with keyless start will do this and give you a warning, it's a safety feature so the car doesn't suddenly stop if it loses contact with the key, such as if the key battery goes flat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom