Driving with a space saver spare wheel

I would assume any fault with tpms or abs would switch off Regen breaking as car would correctly assume that traction is compromised ie a flat or space saver with it having less contact to the tarmac and more likely to lock up under load

Putting the space saver on the rear used to be a thing when space saver spare wheels first came out and was usually mentioned in the manual. Manufacturers don't seem to do this now for some reason.
MG still recommend that
Screenshot_20220408_014720.jpg

Well in N2STY post #22 above I assume the screen shots are taken from a MG handbook,well done, so it’s there in black and white the braking Performance may be reduced, while using a spacer saver wheel still can’t for the life of me see why.
ICE vehicles foot off the accelerator gives engine braking does that change I doubt it, EVs foot off the accelerator give Regen braking well I thought it did, but apparently not when a Space Saver is being used, and it’s not only MGs see dm57 post above #19 about his Nissan Leaf same affects.
Les

In my opinion the warning about reduced braking effectiveness and general handling of the car when the space saver is in use, makes perfect sense.
If you stand the space saver wheel along side the normal road wheel when removed, the contact tyre surface area of the space saver is significantly less than the original tyre.
A space saver has a set of restrictions for its use.
This includes speed and limited time spent on the car.
Simply, the car is incorrectly balanced running with two differently sized wheels on the same axle.
When you consider that roughly 75% of the cars braking efficiency comes from the front brakes, in comes as no surprise that they recommend fitting the space saver to the rear of the car.
If you where required to make an emergency stop at speed in poor weather condition with a space saver fitted to one side of the front of the car, this would make for interesting driving, let’s just say.
A space saver or probably better named, an “emergency spare” is just that !.
Only to be used for emergency purposes.
A “Get You Home” ( short distance ) wheel and the car driven at lower speeds carefully.
We where on the M56 motorway a few months ago, travelling at just under 60 Mph in the left hand lane, when a car passed us doing above 60 Mph with a space saver fitted to the car !!!!!!.
Do these people realise that their complete stupidness, could cause a serious accident and injury or kill innocent people ?.
I have a space saver in the boot of my car.
Would I use it under the right conditions ?.
YES - But I would use it for the purpose it was intended !.
Either to get me home ( if a short distance ) or get me to the nearest tyre shop, which is never that far away in most circumstances.
We have to be grateful that we have a wheel well in the boot, that is capable of carrying either a space saver or a full sized wheel and tyre, if that is the chosen route.
A full sized spare will mean you loose the facility of the lower level, because the full sized spare is naturally much wider than the space saver.
I a LOT of modern cars today, you don’t get the facility of using ANY type of wheel and tyre a arrangement.
You get an inflation kit, which in many cases are totally useless.
Treat a space saver in the manner it was designed, and in accordance with the manufactures instructions and the respect it deserves and you will be fine.

In my opinion the warning about reduced braking effectiveness and general handling of the car when the space saver is in use, makes perfect sense.
If you stand the space saver wheel along side the normal road wheel when removed, the contact tyre surface area of the space saver is significantly less than the original tyre.
A space saver has a set of restrictions for its use.
This includes speed and limited time spent on the car.
Simply, the car is incorrectly balanced running with two differently sized wheels on the same axle.
When you consider that roughly 75% of the cars braking efficiency comes from the front brakes, in comes as no surprise that they recommend fitting the space saver to the rear of the car.
If you where required to make an emergency stop at speed in poor weather condition with a space saver fitted to one side of the front of the car, this would make for interesting driving, let’s just say.
A space saver or probably better named, an “emergency spare” is just that !.
Only to be used for emergency purposes.
A “Get You Home” ( short distance ) wheel and the car driven at lower speeds carefully.
We where on the M56 motorway a few months ago, travelling at just under 60 Mph in the left hand lane, when a car passed us doing above 60 Mph with a space saver fitted to the car !!!!!!.
Do these people realise that their complete stupidness, could cause a serious accident and injury or kill innocent people ?.
I have a space saver in the boot of my car.
Would I use it under the right conditions ?.
YES - But I would use it for the purpose it was intended !.
Either to get me home ( if a short distance ) or get me to the nearest tyre shop, which is never that far away in most circumstances.
We have to be grateful that we have a wheel well in the boot, that is capable of carrying either a space saver or a full sized wheel and tyre, if that is the chosen route.
A full sized spare will mean you loose the facility of the lower level, because the full sized spare is naturally much wider than the space saver.
I a LOT of modern cars today, you don’t get the facility of using ANY type of wheel and tyre a arrangement.
You get an inflation kit, which in many cases are totally useless.
Treat a space saver in the manner it was designed, and in accordance with the manufactures instructions and the respect it deserves and you will be fine.
Geoff I couldn’t have put it better myself your bang on there mate, ALL please take note of this very important point.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom