Dumb questions from ZS newbies

Hotlush

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Currently have a ZOE so not totally new to EVs.
Considering an MG ZS (facelift version), done a bit of research and searches, even downloaded the manual, but still have what may be obvious questions to current owners.

ZOE has a button in the car to unlock the cable/stop charging (can also do it from the keycard) - I can't seem to find out what the equivalent is for the ZS.

Tyre pressures - recommendation from users for the ZOE was to run tyres slightly high (40 PSI) to prevent outside wear. Any specific recommendation on the ZS?

New app supports scheduled charging; but looks like you can't schedule pre-conditioning and you can't set it to specific days? I understand it's a big improvement over the previous version but do we know if they're planned as an update?

One of my big bug bears on the ZOE; sat in the car while it's charging you can't use the heating (you can workround it by launching pre-conditioning). Can you heat and charge, or use the heated seats, on the ZS?

USB ports - are they permanently on? Thinking specifically of the top port for the dashcam.

I'm sure I'll think of more but thanks in advance for any insights.

The ZS has an emergency plug release cable under the bonnet.
Unlocking the car unlocks the cable and stops charging.
I've tried raising the pressures and lowering the pressures by a couple of psi and it made no difference to my mpkWh
Don't know about the app mine's a gen 1
You can have the ZS in ready mode when charging which allows you to use the heater.
I don't have the high USB on my Gen 1 but the other USBs are not live when the car is off.

Unlocking the car unlocks the cable and stops charging.
Not on mine it didn't. :) Mine charged unlocked as did many others and as all should have done. Stopping the charge unlocks the cable.

Currently have a ZOE so not totally new to EVs.
Considering an MG ZS (facelift version), done a bit of research and searches, even downloaded the manual, but still have what may be obvious questions to current owners.

ZOE has a button in the car to unlock the cable/stop charging (can also do it from the keycard) - I can't seem to find out what the equivalent is for the ZS.

Tyre pressures - recommendation from users for the ZOE was to run tyres slightly high (40 PSI) to prevent outside wear. Any specific recommendation on the ZS?

New app supports scheduled charging; but looks like you can't schedule pre-conditioning and you can't set it to specific days? I understand it's a big improvement over the previous version but do we know if they're planned as an update?

If pre-conditioning is the same a pre-heating the car why do you need to schedule it ? Just press a button on the app 10 mins before using the car.

One of my big bug bears on the ZOE; sat in the car while it's charging you can't use the heating (you can workround it by launching pre-conditioning). Can you heat and charge, or use the heated seats, on the ZS?
Yes you can, even on the Gen1.

Check out Chorley Group video on use of app along with PlanetAuto latest filmed in snow conditions. Both on YouTube. Sorry don’t know how add links.

If pre-conditioning is the same a pre-heating the car why do you need to schedule it ? Just press a button on the app 10 mins before using the car.
If you drive somewhere regularly at the same time; e.g. to/from work then having it scheduled is much better than having to remember every single time to load up the app and hope it triggers properly. 2 times a day, 5 times a week for 50 or so weeks a year will soon become tiresome.

If you drive somewhere regularly at the same time; e.g. to/from work then having it scheduled is much better than having to remember every single time to load up the app and hope it triggers properly. 2 times a day, 5 times a week for 50 or so weeks a year will soon become tiresome.
I guess so, failing memory's come to us with age and it is really tiresome at times having to look at the mobile. :)
First world problems eh.
DId you know that people in the UK now (2018) check their smartphones, on average, every 12 minutes of the waking day. Two in five adults (40%) first look at their phone within five minutes of waking up, climbing to 65% of those aged under 35. Courtesy of A decade of digital dependency.

Not on mine it didn't. :) Mine charged unlocked as did many others and as all should have done. Stopping the charge unlocks the cable.
But you still have to unlock the car to stop the charge don't you ?
If not, how do you stop the charge ?
🤔

But you still have to unlock the car to stop the charge don't you ?
If not, how do you stop the charge ?
🤔
On rapids either with app or credit card or on the screen. At home with the app, but you are right at the supermarket on Podpoints I had to do an unlock and remove cable as option to stop for some reason not on the app. Just unlocking did not stop the charge.

On rapids either with app or credit card or on the screen. At home with the app, but you are right at the supermarket on Podpoints I had to do an unlock and remove cable as option to stop for some reason not on the app. Just unlocking did not stop the charge.
Just to clarify, if I had the charge whilst unlocked version, with my home Pod Point I can't stop the charge with the app, so would unlocking the car stop the charge ?
FWIW, SWMBO's MG5 charges as soon as you plug it in unlocked and carries on when we lock it (obviously) and it stops charging when we unlock it and open a door (to prevent the door re-locking), is the ZS with the unlocked charging the same ?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, if I had the charge whilst unlocked version, with my home Pod Point I can't stop the charge with the app, so would unlocking the car stop the charge ?
FWIW, SWMBO's MG5 charges as soon as you plug it in unlocked and carries on when we lock it (obviuosly) and it stops charging when we unlock it and open a door (to prevent the door re-locking), is the ZS with the unlocked charging the same ?
Yes same as SWMBO's 5. When you unlock it temporarily stops charging but resumes if not unplugged shortly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom