eCall sos malfunction warning alert

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi

Odd one, long couple of drive days (200m per day) and on the way home I had an Amber warning flash up on the dash, it came on but went off after about 30secobds,

The alert was about the eCall sos function malfunctioning

It cleared itself, came on about three times and self cleared each time

Given the mg5 Lr doesn't have any connectivity I was really surprised to see such an alert

Anyone seen anything similar?

Yep. Happened to me last week for the first time. Came on twice and never again. Pretty sure it’s been mentioned that it’s a reception issue (built in SIM card?) and fixes itself once mobile signal restored.

It is just poor signal, I had it a few times when I first got the car then it happened a couple ofvtimes over the weekend 😳

Makes sense it was just odd as there isn't a sim card in the car itself as far as I was aware

I wasn't even aware of an sos button anywhere

I did have android auto on so I susspect its linked to that?

From the handbook:

Attachments

• MG5 SOS.pdf
    471.2 KB · Views: 590
It is invaluable that people here can help with immediate and comprehensive answers to such questions, but there is a lot in these cars which is fairly recent tech, (despite the absence of a washer level low warning!!) and it seems that the handbook is an essential piece of reading to find out what's there and how to use it. Even more so for those unfamiliar with EV driving.

Sos button is near interior light
so there is! how i hadnt noticed that....

i still come back to my first point though

the car doesnt have any App / connectivity but (obviously now i have read this) there is a SIM card in the car for such SOS functionality
shame they didnt wire it up to allow connectivity to the car remotely that was all

I'm not sure a SIM card is essential for emergency calls. ISTR that phones can do them without a SIM.

Also not sure that they'd use a SIM to give you remote functionality, more likely Bluetooth or similar I'd have thought.

I just had this happen, flashed up on dashboard and went off after 30 seconds, knew that I’d find something on here to help if I searched. Thought it must be due to signal issue and good to get that confirmed here

Yes, I have had this on my hs phev once, I think It’s caused when the car can’t get a signal, it will keep trying until it does. It is a standard figment in all ( I think) new cars in Europe. I have taken in to dealers and thats what they have said the issue is…if you believe them.

The time to worry is when the car is on its roof and it's flashing to say no phone signal.

It is invaluable that people here can help with immediate and comprehensive answers to such questions, but there is a lot in these cars which is fairly recent tech, (despite the absence of a washer level low warning!!) and it seems that the handbook is an essential piece of reading to find out what's there and how to use it. Even more so for those unfamiliar with EV driving.
Downloadable manuals here...

I'm so excited I've read mine even before the car arrives...

I’m a firefighter and had my 1st call out to an automated sos couple nights ago. Car dialled 999 no response from occupiers and we was tipped out. Just made the car safe for this call but I can see it saving a few lives in remote locations.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom