Eco/ Normal mode

C6MFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi All,

I had a thought while driving today and wondered what you all think. Many of us will play the game of eking out the best battery performance we can. I don't switch off as many power hungry (comforts) functions as possible, but do enjoy trying to anticipate and drive as smoothly as possible to be as efficient as possible.

So driving along a single carriageway A road this morning in Eco mode regen 2 I was struck that the eco mode's main impact is to dampen throttle response, it was therefore a wee bit more difficult to feather the throttle and be really smooth with the throttle in eco mode as its a bit of a blunt tool. I changed to Normal and immediately found it easier to be subtle with my throttle movements and that made it easier to be as smooth as possible. My miles per Kw actually improved by 0.3 over 10 mins of Normal mode to what it was in Eco mode in the previous 10 mins.

What are your top "eco" EV driving tips whilst keeping the aircon / heating on (eco mode) and the car weight as low reasonable e.g. not carrying things you don't need etc.?

Sounds like a good experiment to try. If it works well enough it will suit me because I'm always forgetting to select eco mode.

Hi All,

I had a thought while driving today and wondered what you all think. Many of us will play the game of eking out the best battery performance we can. I don't switch off as many power hungry (comforts) functions as possible, but do enjoy trying to anticipate and drive as smoothly as possible to be as efficient as possible.

So driving along a single carriageway A road this morning in Eco mode regen 2 I was struck that the eco mode's main impact is to dampen throttle response, it was therefore a wee bit more difficult to feather the throttle and be really smooth with the throttle in eco mode as its a bit of a blunt tool. I changed to Normal and immediately found it easier to be subtle with my throttle movements and that made it easier to be as smooth as possible. My miles per Kw actually improved by 0.3 over 10 mins of Normal mode to what it was in Eco mode in the previous 10 mins.

What are your top "eco" EV driving tips whilst keeping the aircon / heating on (eco mode) and the car weight as low reasonable e.g. not carrying things you don't need etc.?
Very interesting re. Normal mode and mpKwh. I'll experiment with that in mind. Eco mode also limits A/C too so not just there in terms of driving type/style. No doubt at all that anticipating speed changes and feathering the right foot will help the economy of a 2 ton metal box!

I find driving in normal mode is easier than in eco, as the car responses to the throttle as expected unlike in eco where there is a bit of delay. Best way to get economy is to ease off instead of using the brakes (when safe to do so of course!).

There's not much more that you can do other than planning ahead, accelerating gently and keeping your top speed down. If you can find a high vehicle to follow (at a safe distance) then that's great, otherwise just resist the temptation to use all that power.

Tried normal on the way home from work and regen on 2 instead of 3.

4kwh per mile. Same as i normally get at eco and 3 :unsure:

I dont find any mode massively different but the way you drove does to the range. So personally I leave it in default normal and kers 2. I can't be bothered changing it and find normal gives you best for all situations. I do change to kers 3 though of driving in a city or busy area, just so I don't have to use the brake much. So for me it's more about convenience.

Sport 100% of the time. So much nicer to use daily!

Have to agree if coming home to charge every night. Its very entertaining for a estate. Smiles per Kw needs score in that mode

Find Eco much less 'jabby' for throttle response so, stick to that most of the time. When you need to overtake, a foot planted down on any of the modes seems to make little difference in my view..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom