Eeking out range

I agree the WLTP test is fine to make a reasonably level playing field for comparisons.
The difficulty for non BEV drivers is they read the quoted range and assume when they buy the car (not knowing the 20% to 80% ideal charging) they will have a range as quoted on the WLTP.
In my own case driving a standard ZS with WLTP of 163 miles I now know that to maintain best battery life on a longer journey I should ideally charge when battery is around 20% and fast charge to 80%. This means I can plan my journey for charging stops at roughly 100 mile intervals. (60% of my WLTP)
If this figure was made available to potential EV buyers (perhaps along with WLTP) then people would have more realistic expectations and not be disappointed at there real world range.
Don't confuse regular charging for health in your preferred 20-80% range with travelling longer distances. I would certainly not restrict myself to 60% of capacity for a long run and would most certainly start at 100% which would of course mean charging to more than 80%.

This is where the WLTP range is farcical! The true range should be given after testing in all conditions including passenger comfort warm/cool/stereo/loaded/family trip/ motorway/winter/summer Only then can you give a true range based on these. Why should we be eking out every mile when the WLTP says a range? I believe this system needs scrapping and a new test put in its place. IMO.
There is no such thing as 'the true range' as there are far too many variables. The WLTP test is a standardised, controlled test which gives a basis for comparison but it isn't supposed to be a realistic target in the real world.

It's just a case of understanding how the different variables impact the energy consumption and then making an informed decision about how much to mitigate any of those to achieve better economy (or not).

We all know that speed, temperature (cabin and battery), weather, weight etc. will impact on the efficiency. We can choose to drive slower, adjust our route, plan around the weather; or we can just take the hit and charge a bit more.

speed, temperature (cabin and battery), weather, weight etc. will impact on the efficiency. We can choose to drive slower, adjust our route, plan around the weather; or we can just take the hit and charge a bit more.
Yeah that was in my mind when starting this thread.

But those things have always been so, but for some reason we just become much more acutely aware of it with an EV.

Having bought my mg5 in the week it snowed on November, I was more than a little miffed, even though I knew to expect it that the long range was really only about 180 miles at zero degrees, and that’s driving carefully.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom