Electric air pump

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
After nearly 4 months and 3,500 km of trouble-free driving of the best car I've ever had, I've had my first problem. Yesterday a warning came up on the dash saying the rear off side tyre was under 28 psi. I pulled into the nearest petrol station (remember those :sneaky:) and used their air pump to get it back to 37 psi and monitored the pressure via the TPMS for the rest of the journey. All good but a bit puzzling as to the cause. No obvious damage or embedded object.

Today, before setting off I checked again and it had gone down to 30 psi. Damn, I have a slow leak. Electric tyre inflator to the rescue! The ZS EV has a tyre repair kit instead of a spare wheel and this was my only option. It worked a treat - plug the inflator into the 12V socket near the USB ports and connect to the tyre valve and switch on. 37 psi in a jiffy.

Now to wait for Monday and see if the MG dealer will help. Tyres aren't under the normal car warranty but the fine print says they will deal with the tyre manufacturer on my behalf for possible warranty.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

I had a TPMS error come up the other day. I was cornering relatively fast, (safely I add). I later looked at the tyre pressures, and they seemed to be OK. Just a computer glitch I think in my case..:)

Suggestion get the wheel off the car stick in in a large tank of water and you will see where it’s leaking from tyre shops normally have a tank of water just looking at the tyre you might never find the problem
Les

I can't see the dealer/tyre warranty covering punctures, it's for manufacturing defects in the tyre.
I wouldn't have used the repair gunk before checking the tyre for nails or screws in the tread to make sure it is a puncture. If there are no foreign objects stuck in the tyre then drip a bit of soapy water into the valve and around the valve stem, if it's leaking it will bubble. Then when the tyre shops open, overinflate the tyre to allow for some leakage and drive steadily to the tyre shop (if it's not too far) and get it repaired.

Hi Chris, have you checked that the leak isn't from the valve stem itself ? (The valve core may not be tighten enough)
Aha thanks Sidemips, you might be right. I've just done a 50 km trip and it hasn't lost pressure so maybe the inflation fixed the valve. I don't think it could have been the TPMS playing up as the pump gauge read the same so I must have been actually losing pressure. Still a bit of a mystery but certainly less of a worry if it's the valve.

I can't see the dealer/tyre warranty covering punctures, it's for manufacturing defects in the tyre.
I wouldn't have used the repair gunk before checking the tyre for nails or screws in the tread to make sure it is a puncture. If there are no foreign objects stuck in the tyre then drip a bit of soapy water into the valve and around the valve stem, if it's leaking it will bubble. Then when the tyre shops open, overinflate the tyre to allow for some leakage and drive steadily to the tyre shop (if it's not too far) and get it repaired.
I didn't use the repair gunk, just the inflater. I have checked for nails and can't see anything so I'm thinking it may be a valve issue which possibly could be seen as a tyre manufacture defect. I'll see what the dealers say.

Suggestion get the wheel off the car stick in in a large tank of water and you will see where it’s leaking from tyre shops normally have a tank of water just looking at the tyre you might never find the problem
Les
Thanks Les but I don't have a suitable size tank. I'm starting to think it might be the valve.

After nearly 4 months and 3,500 km of trouble-free driving of the best car I've ever had, I've had my first problem. Yesterday a warning came up on the dash saying the rear off side tyre was under 28 psi. I pulled into the nearest petrol station (remember those :sneaky:) and used their air pump to get it back to 37 psi and monitored the pressure via the TPMS for the rest of the journey. All good but a bit puzzling as to the cause. No obvious damage or embedded object.

Today, before setting off I checked again and it had gone down to 30 psi. Damn, I have a slow leak. Electric tyre inflator to the rescue! The ZS EV has a tyre repair kit instead of a spare wheel and this was my only option. It worked a treat - plug the inflator into the 12V socket near the USB ports and connect to the tyre valve and switch on. 37 psi in a jiffy.

Now to wait for Monday and see if the MG dealer will help. Tyres aren't under the normal car warranty but the fine print says they will deal with the tyre manufacturer on my behalf for possible warranty.

Has anyone else had experience of this?
Something easy to try first, take off the valve cap and using a bit of spit on a finger put it on the valve sometimes the inner part of the valve needs a little nip up and the spit will bubble if there’s an air leak (bit gross I know) but an easy fix

Something easy to try first, take off the valve cap and using a bit of spit on a finger put it on the valve sometimes the inner part of the valve needs a little nip up and the spit will bubble if there’s an air leak (bit gross I know) but an easy fix
That's what I do with valves but I suggested soapy water as I didn't want to sound gross. :LOL:

I've found valve cores working themselves loose in the past so I always keep one of these in the car (y)
valve thingy.jpg

Les
Or spray the tyre with a washing up liquid solution and you may see some bubbles from a puncture, worth taking valve cap of and spraying valve incase that is leaking?

Update on this: I took it to my tyre people and they found a puncture in the sidewall which couldn't be repaired. I can only think this happened by hitting a pothole (which there have been quite a few on my local roads lately) as the area was quite scuffed.

puncture.jpg

The other interesting development was that the model of tyre (Michelin 215/50R17 Primacy 3ST) is no longer available in Australia and had to be replaced with a newer Primacy 4 (slightly different tread pattern and higher load index) which had to be ordered in. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries but beware that replacement may not be simple. Also they're not cheap - $235 AU.

michelin.jpg

Update on this: I took it to my tyre people and they found a puncture in the sidewall which couldn't be repaired. I can only think this happened by hitting a pothole (which there have been quite a few on my local roads lately) as the area was quite scuffed.

View attachment 3463

The other interesting development was that the model of tyre (Michelin 215/50R17 Primacy 3ST) is no longer available in Australia and had to be replaced with a newer Primacy 4 (slightly different tread pattern and higher load index) which had to be ordered in. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries but beware that replacement may not be simple. Also they're not cheap - $235 AU.

View attachment 3464
Bugger me!! £128!! Even my Toyota RAV 4 tyres only cost about £60...and they were huge...

Gutting when that happens. I ripped the side out of a brand new BFG many moons ago... and buying a single tyre is always the most expensive option :(

I think I would be replacing the pair if they weren't identical.

I don't know if I have OCD but I hate having different tyres on the same axle, I would have had to order a pair, probably a cheaper brand, there are plenty of options in that size.
The last odd tyre I had on a car caused the steering to pull to one side and that was a reputable brand with the same load rating etc. the only thing different was the tread pattern and manufacturer. I ended up putting it on the rear to lessen the effect. :(

I don't know if I have OCD but I hate having different tyres on the same axle, I would have had to order a pair, probably a cheaper brand, there are plenty of options in that size.
The last odd tyre I had on a car caused the steering to pull to one side and that was a reputable brand with the same load rating etc. the only thing different was the tread pattern and manufacturer. I ended up putting it on the rear to lessen the effect. :(
It is on the rear and the tyre place said the difference was minor enough to not cause any problems (and it would have certainly been to their benefit to recommend replacing two) so I'm not concerned, but will definitely be monitoring.

Hi ChrisR glad you got it sorted even tho your not 100 % happy you shouldn’t need to worry about it going flat now
I see you have the ZS fitted with Michelin tyres not cheap at the best of times but these so called eco tyres I think Are a rip off I have the MG5 and I couple of weeks back now had a flat which was repaired without a problem a nail in the middle easy fix but I asked the tyre fitted about what the tyre costs are mine are Bridgestone which are fitted as standard to the 5 and the fitter said he had never seen this tyre before and they do sell Bridgestone tyres so he rang his wholesalers to get a price and couldn’t they had not heard of the type either so I think this might be a little glitch In EV ownership these so called low rolling resistance tyres are not that easy to find it appears so for now watch out for the potholes we have them pretty bad as well in some parts of the UK take care
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom