Electronic hand brake - completely stuck on !

One thing for certain lovemyev,I would not allow the A.A. or anyone else take my car there again, I can understand you saying you will disclose which dealer you are having this problem with and when you do get the car back and it’s repaired, but I would also contact MGs head office and the A.A. and tell them the way you have been treated by who ever this dealer is as well as posting it on this forum.

We are seeing this more and more from these dealers not accepting any input or comments from customers, you might remember I had a similar experience with my brakes squealing while reversing, after 3/4 attempts to stop it still does it all be it now intermittently.

Each time I took it in I said what I think it needs is the pads to be removed and some copper slip applied to the back plates could never get to speak with anyone from the workshops and each time I collected the car from them I was told it’s fine now as we have adjusted the brakes and it should settle down now in the end I give up and now as I said it’s has become intermittent probably because we have been having much more wet days I have still to fine an answer on how to adjust disc brakes of the type fitted to MG cars.

Another thing I have picked up on while reading this and other forums, the parts availability for MG is not very good as yet and I would have thought it would have been better than it is for the ZSEv as it’s been out here a while now.

I hope you only have a short wait and it’s gets sorted ASAP keep us updated will you
Les

Just of of curiosity @Lovemyev, based on the part number, is the electric motor a generic model which is likely to be common across other manufacturers or is this something very specific to MG?

Availability of spares has been my biggest worry - when the ABS pump went on my Ford, a 2nd hand one was fitted from a Kuga or Focus - my worry with MG is that no motor factors or breakers will have suitable spares so this long wait time you're seeing.

Hopefully this improves as the dealer network and popularity improves though.

2-3 weeks wait for a part, if coming from China, sounds about right. But you would think that MG UK should have at least one of each part for the car in stock somewhere and several of each of the common failure parts, (steering columns for example). Replacement brake calipers ought to be in stock anyway.

2-3 weeks wait for a part, if coming from China, sounds about right. But you would think that MG UK should have at least one of each part for the car in stock somewhere and several of each of the common failure parts, (steering columns for example). Replacement brake calipers ought to be in stock anyway.
Thanks for all of your comments folks !.
I have spoken to the dealership three times today, they suggested I rang customer services, which I did.
Could not get through to them for over 45 minutes, they I spoke to a young lady who directed my back to the dealership !.
I have just been contacted by the loan car people, who are sending me a Peugeot 3008 today.
It is booked out for three weeks !.
What does that tell you.
I am really surprised that the parts department in the U.K. is so poorly stocked.
Considering MG sales have increased by 30% this year, not having a better U.K. stocked parts department is costing them ( and the customer ) a LOT of money.
If you consider just my case, the handbrake motor is £78.00.
But because it is not available, they are paying for three weeks car rental at about £1,500 alone !.
That is not good business sense or cost effective.
There should be a parts department stocked on a min / max basis, then back filled from China.

This is disgraceful not only will be £1500 for them could be quite a few pounds for you as well in fuel if its an ICE vehicle which I bet it will be feel for you mate this is very very poor service for a problem like this
Les

This is disgraceful not only will be £1500 for them could be quite a few pounds for you as well in fuel if its an ICE vehicle which I bet it will be feel for you mate this is very very poor service for a problem like this
Les
Thanks Les.
Honestly. you can't make up this kind of stuff !.
The loan car company contacted at mid day today, while I was going through the check out at a very busy super market, they wanted some bank card details before they could deliver the car.
I did this while trying to pack our shopping, with a child screaming the place down at the same time.
Back home at around 5.00pm - while checking my on-line bank account, I discovered the hire car company had taken £250.00 from our account.
Oh ....... I had still not received the car at this point either !.
When I called them, they said it was normal company policy to take a holding fee for any unpaid fuel costs, because the car would arrive fully tanked with that horrible stuff called Derv !.
I questioned the size of the fuel tank because it must be towing a tanker behind it to take £250.00 worth of fuel as a deposit, and this charge WAS not explained to me over the phone at diner time.
It is a refundable deposit of course, but they are now holding onto £250.00 of my money until my car is repaired, plus 5 days after the car is returned !.
This whole customer experience is getting more more "unacceptable" by the hour folks.
After MORE phone calls chasing the hire car, it finally arrived at 6.45pm !.
The driver was very nice and explained it was normal policy for me to check over the car prior to signed for it.
But at 6.30pm this evening it was almost completely dark and light rain.
I added these comment to the paperwork before signing for the car.
I have taken photographs of the mileage and I will inspect the car before using it, in the morning.
The last four days have been extremely stressful and expensive on all aspects.
From my perspective, I am down £250.00 in my account already and expected pay, to put into a fossil fuel car that I have zero interest in.
I am really trying to focus on even a SMALL positive, from this whole shit show.
But I am really really struggling.
The only thing that is enjoying this whole ordeal, is my "Well Rested" wall box of course.
My wife who has been shaking her head in disbelief over the last four days, but has said very little until tonight.
Suddenly then turned to me and said :-
"WELL ...... ( look out something has been brewing up ! ) you can FORGET any thoughts of upgrading to another MG if it takes them three weeks to supply and fit a spare part only worth £78.00".
I am find it hard to battle against that statement folks 🤷‍♂️.

That's why I don't use the auto hold function.....I believe that that motor is fitted in for one purpose only....and that is the handbrake.
I don't want that motor working everytime I stop at a red light, I'll keep my foot on the pedal, like I am always used to.

I have a panoramic roof on my EHS , try opening and closing that roof +100 times on a.daily basis...... It won't last a year I guarantee it......

That's why I don't use the auto hold function.....I believe that that motor is fitted in for one purpose only....and that is the handbrake.
I don't want that motor working everytime I stop at a red light, I'll keep my foot on the pedal, like I am always used to.

I have a panoramic roof on my EHS , try opening and closing that roof +100 times on a.daily basis...... It won't last a year I guarantee it......
Auto hold just maintains the brake pressure I believe, it doesn't engage the "hand brake"

It would be interesting to dig deeper into the whole question of MG's support infrastructure. I've actually no idea what range or quantity of spares they carry in the UK, and whether this is different for their electric and ICE vehicles. Perhaps @MilesperkWh would care to comment?

Oh ….. Just to say, I don’t think I have ever had the auto hold function selected on my car anyway ?.
If I am at the traffic lights, I have to keep my foot on the foot brake or hit the “P” button, or the car will creep forward.
The problem just occurred suddenly one morning, with absolutely no previous sign / indication of any potential problem.
The failure hit hard and completely out of the blue !.
It appears the handbrake motor is still working in an electrical capacity, because when pulling up the handbrake switch, you can hear it turning, however it continues to spin/ turn for about 20 seconds and then times out and stops !.
When working correctly, it should only turn for about 2 seconds as the motor turns and then the brake pads close on the brake disc, which then prevents the car from moving.
I can only assume then, that either the external male splines on the motor have failed, or the internal female spines on receiving brake calliper have stripped out.
Or, a combination of both !.
It would appear that the dealer is taking no chances, and is replacing BOTH the motor and the rear brake calliper assembly.
Good safe practice in all fairness.

It would be interesting to dig deeper into the whole question of MG's support infrastructure. I've actually no idea what range or quantity of spares they carry in the UK, and whether this is different for their electric and ICE vehicles. Perhaps @MilesperkWh would care to comment?
That is a very good question !.
In this situation, the ZS has been on the market for a good amount of time now, so you would expect good a access to spare parts by now.
However, it could just be that the electric hand brake has only become “The Thing” on the ZS EV - as the ICE version had a manual handbrake I believe.
Although the ZS EV has been on our roads now in the U.K. for almost two years now, so you would have thought that the spare parts availability would be better ?.
Maybe MG ( like myself ) where not expecting to be replacing the hand brake motor, in a car that was less than two years old.
So, never bothered holding stock of this items previous in the U.K. ???.
Who knows, this incident MAY just cause a necessary rethink on stocking this type of item in the U.K. from now.
Question :- Is my car a isolated incident that incurred some random type of metal fatigue-fault in the motor assembly ?.
Will MG take the right corrective action and investigate WHY this item failed prematurely, when it is returned to the MG warranty department ?.
Your guess is as good as mine on this one folks.
I truly do hope this is a completely “One Off” and isolated situation.
Otherwise if not, it could be a real issue / problem area for other ZS EV owners going forward.
I was lucky in one sense, that it decided to failed on my own driveway at home.
Imagine this happening in the middle of no where, or when you where trying to leave a busy multi story car park on a Saturday !.
What a complete and utter nightmare.
As it looks like I am likely to have the 3008 for a couple of weeks now ( hopefully no longer ) I may give my thoughts on how this car compares to the ZS EV if you would like ?.
Not a full in depth review of course, but just a very quick “Back To Back” comparison from somebody who has been driving a EV for almost two years, then takes on a “Oil Burner” for a time ?.
I think I know already how this is going to end up 🤣.
Give me a 👍 if you like the idea ?.
I was hoping never to be in this situation of course, but there you go !.
All the best laid plans and all that 🤷.

Last edited:

Isn’t that true of most things?. It’s like saying I don’t use the car much in case it wears out. Items are there to use surely.

Features often appear on a car for reasons of fashion or marketing in which case functionality and reliability aren't necessarily at the forefront.

Isn’t that true of most things?. It’s like saying I don’t use the car much in case it wears out. Items are there to use surely.
"Use it or lose it" as they say.
Although I also agree with what @Alb says above, so many unnecessary features these day.
I tend to try each feature, just to make sure it works and then switch off the ones that are unnecessary, which for me is most of them. :D

Very true. It doesn’t mean that you should avoid using them though for fear of them wearing put. After all you have paid for them.

I had the same problem a few months ago. There is a section in the handbook that gives you a procedure for unlocking the brake, it does include having to put the seatbelt on, as I tried without the seatbelt fastened and could not get it to work. Sorry my handook isn't to hand at the moment, but I assure you there is a section in there. Good Luck
mine won't move unless you have the seat belt on

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom