Emergency charge port release

shiv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
How hard does one need to pull on the emergency release cable to unlock the charge port?

I just cant seem to be able to release it?

The car is dead, I suspect a 12V battery drain.

Attachments

• 16883752952048968345669315217005.jpg
    16883752952048968345669315217005.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 243
Can you hook up a 12V battery charger to it or are you out and about?
I have never used the release lever but reading other reports no one has said that it needs to be pulled hard. Have you tried pulling at different angles?

Can you hook up a 12V battery charger to it or are you out and about?
I have never used the release lever but reading other reports no one has said that it needs to be pulled hard. Have you tried pulling at different angles?
I've hooked it up a 12V charger now. Hopefully it'll work. But it's such a faff.
I tried pulling at different angles, no luck. It's got to a stage where I think the release string might break if I pull harder.

How hard does one need to pull on the emergency release cable to unlock the charge port?

Only thing I can think of is make sure the charging plug is pushed into the port of the car, not hanging out a bit. It could be jamming the locking pin.
The only time I've used the release it needed a good hard tug, harder than I'd have expected but not so hard you'd worry about snapping the cord.

Does this look okay to you? @5teep

Attachments

• 16883993462793418206321620761543.jpg
    16883993462793418206321620761543.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 183
Oh just realised you are not talking about the cable being stuck in the car. You are talking about the flap not opening.

The cable you are pulling on is to release the charge cable. Not unlock the flap.

I think you will need to get juice to the 12v to get the flap open,

I think you will need to get juice to the 12v to get the flap open,
Ah damn. it'll be a long day for me then. I've got a 1.5a charger connected to the battery at the moment.
Need to get hold of a multi meter to check the voltage though.

I think i am right in saying if you can get the car jump started the HV will charge the 12v.

I think i am right in saying if you can get the car jump started the HV will charge the 12v.
Yeah I think the HV will charge the 12v. I'm not sure on the jump starting though. I've read sometimes it can blow out the fuses (it was on the kia forums, so may not apply to the MGs).

I am happy to be corrected but I believe you can jump start an EV the same way you can a petrol car. All you are doing is providing 12v from another source. I have a portable battery pack left over from when I had a car with dodgy electrics. I keep this in the car but have not needed yet. Touch wood.

I have heard people suggest the 12v that comes with the car is cheap but no idea if this is true or not.

I am happy to be corrected but I believe you can jump start an EV the same way you can a petrol car. All you are doing is providing 12v from another source. I have a portable battery pack left over from when I had a car with dodgy electrics. I keep this in the car but have not needed yet. Touch wood.

I have heard people suggest the 12v that comes with the car is cheap but no idea if this is true or not.
Ah okay. I'll check with my neighbours when they're home and see if I can jump start.

As to why the 12V battery got depleted overnight remains a mystery to me.

Ah okay. I'll check with my neighbours when they're home and see if I can jump start.

As to why the 12V battery got depleted overnight remains a mystery to me.
By the sounds of the day you have the "why" will be for another day lol

This is from my FL model manual

Attachments

• jumpstart.jpg
    jumpstart.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 166

Really really hard. I had to do this on Saturday when it wouldn't unlock from a charger at the supermarket. I was surprised at how hard I had to pull the release cable.

Right okay. So are the updates.

Tried tickle charging overnight. Didn't help the battery.

But managed to jump start using a donor vehicle.

The car sprung to life. Lots of errors on the dash (lane keep, ACC, etc). But the 12v battery showed 14.5v so that's good.

Tried opening the charging port, no luck.

Locked and unlocked the car, waited a few seconds, tried the charging port, no luck.

Turned the car off, tried to turn the car again and it wouldn't start. Checked the 12v battery using a multi meter (it's showing 6V).

So 12V battery that came with the car seems to be dead. Will try jump starting again once the rain stops.

But my bigger problem is the charge port flap not opening. It's never happened before. I've pushed on the MG logo, pushed where the lock is (to the right of the MG logo), but no luck.

Has anyone had to replace their 12V?

Right okay. So are the updates.

Tried tickle charging overnight. Didn't help the battery.

But managed to jump start using a donor vehicle.

The car sprung to life. Lots of errors on the dash (lane keep, ACC, etc). But the 12v battery showed 14.5v so that's good.

Tried opening the charging port, no luck.

Locked and unlocked the car, waited a few seconds, tried the charging port, no luck.

Turned the car off, tried to turn the car again and it wouldn't start. Checked the 12v battery using a multi meter (it's showing 6V).

So 12V battery that came with the car seems to be dead. Will try jump starting again once the rain stops.

But my bigger problem is the charge port flap not opening. It's never happened before. I've pushed on the MG logo, pushed where the lock is (to the right of the MG logo), but no luck.

Has anyone had to replace their 12V?
At least you have identified that the 12v is shagged. A nice shines new battery will be good.

As for the flap someone did mention above it looked like it is not closed fully. Did you try pushing it towards the car to try and get it closed fully?

When I first got my car I had an issue with the flap getting stuck not fully closed. What happened was I unlocked the car went round to the flap and as I was opening the car auto locked as I had not opened any of the doors after unlocking it. The flap got stuck not fully closed.

I had to lock / unlock the car and gently giggle the flap to get it to open.

Not sure if this helps.

At least you have identified that the 12v is shagged. A nice shines new battery will be good.

As for the flap someone did mention above it looked like it is not closed fully. Did you try pushing it towards the car to try and get it closed fully?

When I first got my car I had an issue with the flap getting stuck not fully closed. What happened was I unlocked the car went round to the flap and as I was opening the car auto locked as I had not opened any of the doors after unlocking it. The flap got stuck not fully closed.

I had to lock / unlock the car and gently giggle the flap to get it to open.

Not sure if this helps.

Yeah I tried pushing on the flap. No luck. Also tried pushing it and holding it in. Then locking and unlocking the car. No luck.

That 14.5V will be the charger output, not the battery voltage.

Ah my bad. I thought that was the 12v battery voltage. Using the multimeter I've measured the voltage of the battery when the car is on (after jump starting it the second time). And it's 14.50V which is consistent with display on the car.

Attachments

• PXL_20230704_094641677.jpg
    PXL_20230704_094641677.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 176
Yeah I tried pushing on the flap. No luck. Also tried pushing it and holding it in. Then locking and unlocking the car. No luck.

Ah my bad. I thought that was the 12v battery voltage. Using the multimeter I've measured the voltage of the battery when the car is on (after jump starting it the second time). And it's 14.50V which is consistent with display on the car.
To get the true reading of the battery you would need to do this when the car is off. When the car is on it is sending charge to the battery to charge it. This will give a false reading.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom