Energy price changes in April

Gadget Geek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there folks.
I had an email from EDF last week telling me the prices I pay will be changing. So I set out trying to work out who would be the cheapest for me. With solar and a 8kWh battery, 95% of my electricity is on off peak prices.

I found this comparison on Which; https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjZnMDPoov-AhWEiP0HHc4xBJEQFnoECD8QAQ&url=https://energy.which.co.uk/&usg=AOvVaw0zPQ-qjmiq9PZCh4hwfcIX, which gives a really good result. When you click on "more information" for the supplier, it shows a comparison of your current prices versus the selected one.

For me, it works out cheaper to stay where I am. I hope some of you find it useful.

Fail for me, I can't see the Go tariffs for electricity and the gas tariff doesn't even populate at all. I doubt it'd have the tracker.

So if they are in it's scope maybe be a bit cautious with the results.

Checked this out and the Go tariff didn't come up for me either and that makes it pretty useless for comparison.

Fail for me, I can't see the Go tariffs for electricity and the gas tariff doesn't even populate at all. I doubt it'd have the tracker.

So if they are in it's scope maybe be a bit cautious with the results.
For me, the GoElectric tarrif changed to Eco 20:20 when everything went crazy and all the deals stopped. I just left it as the default variable tarrif and the rates for peak and off-peak were correct.

Hi folks. On the subject of tarriffs, I was on Bulb, Now on Octopus (Flexible rate) at 34p. Having just bought a used MG5 LR (delighted!) and have a Zappi home charger (excellent!), I did some maths to see if Octopus Go would be worth it. We cook with electricity, have gas central heating, no solar or battery storage and I do about 6,000 miles a year having retired a couple of years ago. Octopus Go quoted me 44p day rate and 12p night rate. Given my mileage and our energy use and the fact that we cannot program a washing machine or dishwasher to operate at night (old technology appliances) I dont see that it will be to my advantage. I would be interested in other folks thoughts on this. Thanks. Steve.

Hi folks. On the subject of tarriffs, I was on Bulb, Now on Octopus (Flexible rate) at 34p. Having just bought a used MG5 LR (delighted!) and have a Zappi home charger (excellent!), I did some maths to see if Octopus Go would be worth it. We cook with electricity, have gas central heating, no solar or battery storage and I do about 6,000 miles a year having retired a couple of years ago. Octopus Go quoted me 44p day rate and 12p night rate. Given my mileage and our energy use and the fact that we cannot program a washing machine or dishwasher to operate at night (old technology appliances) I dont see that it will be to my advantage. I would be interested in other folks thoughts on this. Thanks. Steve.
I think @Jomarkh has a spreadsheet somewhere where you can calculate it.

For us, with 10,000/yr plus dishwasher and washing machine overnight, we are saving money. Not a massive amount but worthwhile.

Have a look at your previous bill and see what % of night time vs day time electricity you use. Then put the new rates into the % usage and you should be able to calculate the new total. (Hope that makes sense)

Roughly, if you know your normal weekly/monthly usage in kWh then if you add 45% of that or more charging in the same period then Go will be suitable, cheaper.

From your prices just as an example.

Standard Variable
100kWh per month at 34p = £34.00
add 45 kWh charging at 34p = £15.30
Total £49.30

Go
100kWh per month at 44p = £44.00
add 45kWh at 12p = £5.40
Total £49.40

So, 45kWh at say 4 miles/kWh = 180 miles. If those were monthly figures would equate to about 2160 miles per year.

As I said very roughly 45% on your prices but that changes slightly with different prices, for me it's nearer 40% as my Go daytime rate is 42p.

Roughly, if you know your normal weekly/monthly usage in kWh then if you add 45% of that or more charging in the same period then Go will be suitable, cheaper.

From your prices just as an example.

Standard Variable
100kWh per month at 34p = £34.00
add 45 kWh charging at 34p = £15.30
Total £49.30

Go
100kWh per month at 44p = £44.00
add 45kWh at 12p = £5.40
Total £49.40

So, 45kWh at say 4 miles/kWh = 180 miles. If those were monthly figures would equate to about 2160 miles per year.

As I said very roughly 45% on your prices but that changes slightly with different prices, for me it's nearer 40% as my Go daytime rate is 42p.
Your maths has been something I have been seeing. Due to my low millage if I switched to Go it would actually cost me more because of my other daily usage.

My current public charging is costing me 30p/kwh (11kwh fast charging = 20%/h charge speed). so cheaper using that at the moment.

Thanks everyone, it has all been very helpful! Gomev, using your formula, it seems I would have to do more than 7,920 miles p/a before GO would be worth it. That is without using the night rate for anything else. I use an immersion heater in the summer for hot water but, as previously stated, I am not able to put anything else on the night rate. I think I will stay on the variable rate for now and see how it goes.

Hi there folks.
I had an email from EDF last week telling me the prices I pay will be changing. So I set out trying to work out who would be the cheapest for me. With solar and a 8kWh battery, 95% of my electricity is on off peak prices.

I found this comparison on Which; https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjZnMDPoov-AhWEiP0HHc4xBJEQFnoECD8QAQ&url=https://energy.which.co.uk/&usg=AOvVaw0zPQ-qjmiq9PZCh4hwfcIX, which gives a really good result. When you click on "more information" for the supplier, it shows a comparison of your current prices versus the selected one.

For me, it works out cheaper to stay where I am. I hope some of you find it useful.
Doesn't work with EV charging.

Hi there folks.

Doesn't work with EV charging
Hi there folks.

Comparison doesn't work for EV rates

Yes Octopus go day rate has just risen from 41 to 44p. This now means just to break even you have to use over 40% of total at night. That also means that even if you charge your EV during the cheap overnight period your REAL driving cost is NOT 12p per unit as the average unit price per day work s out at nearer 30p per unit. My previous Octopus bill actually showed night usage cost and day cost and gave an average of 29p per unit. This, even with exclusive charging using the night time EV tariff gives the real cost of EV use and for me works out at 9p per mile (average 3.2 miles per kWh my MG ZS EV). For comparison my petrol car costs around 14p per mile same type of driving. The EV is still cheaper per mile in fuel but nowhere near enough to offset the extra cost. Based on my car, my tariff, my EV and my driving.

Yes Octopus go day rate has just risen from 41 to 44p. This now means just to break even you have to use over 40% of total at night. That also means that even if you charge your EV during the cheap overnight period your REAL driving cost is NOT 12p per unit as the average unit price per day work s out at nearer 30p per unit. My previous Octopus bill actually showed night usage cost and day cost and gave an average of 29p per unit. This, even with exclusive charging using the night time EV tariff gives the real cost of EV use and for me works out at 9p per mile (average 3.2 miles per kWh my MG ZS EV). For comparison my petrol car costs around 14p per mile same type of driving. The EV is still cheaper per mile in fuel but nowhere near enough to offset the extra cost. Based on my car, my tariff, my EV and my driving.

Using your logic above you should be celebrating having reduced the cost of your daytime usage to well below the price cap at 29p which is probably the greater slice of your usage.

Using your logic above you should be celebrating having reduced the cost of your daytime usage to well below the price cap at 29p which is probably the greater slice of your usage.
That is why I'm still using Octopus Go, my average electricity cost is about 29p though it will now rise with rise in day rate. The point is that it is deluded to think charging your EV at night means it only costs 12p per unit as you have to take into account the extra cost in daytime electricity. The suppliers are not stupid, they do not give electricity away. They use the headline night rate to lure EV users knowing full well that the increased day rate largely offsets this "discount". As I said it's still worth it for me but only just!

That is why I'm still using Octopus Go, my average electricity cost is about 29p though it will now rise with rise in day rate. The point is that it is deluded to think charging your EV at night means it only costs 12p per unit as you have to take into account the extra cost in daytime electricity. The suppliers are not stupid, they do not give electricity away. They use the headline night rate to lure EV users knowing full well that the increased day rate largely offsets this "discount". As I said it's still worth it for me but only just!
I think that is well understood and whether it works for people depends on their usage and what can be time shifted. It isn't difficult to calculate.

I think that is well understood and whether it works for people depends on their usage and what can be time shifted. It isn't difficult to calculate.
No it isn't difficult but some people seem. Incapable of understanding. You wouldn't believe the number of posts and comments claiming that their EV only costs 5ppkWh or so to charge and therefore run. Simply don't understand the reality of their tariff.

No it isn't difficult but some people seem. Incapable of understanding. You wouldn't believe the number of posts and comments claiming that their EV only costs 5ppkWh or so to charge and therefore run. Simply don't understand the reality of their tariff.
This use to be the case but now there are standard tariffs with free add on just for charging so it's very easy to work out unfortunately the 5p is now 10p

This use to be the case but now there are standard tariffs with free add on just for charging so it's very easy to work out unfortunately the 5p is now 10p
Not on new customer tariffs. The cheapest is Octopus at 44p and 12p as opposed to 34p std rate

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom