Equalisation & Rolec Home Chargers

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
OK, so as I'm not using the car very much at all due to lockdown, but actually charging it last night, I have a question; once the car has charged and the MG light on the charging port stays on all the time, it's doing an equalisation charge. The ev.energy app for the Rolec charger says that charging is complete, which it is, however how can I easily tell if it's actually doing the equalisation charge (other than the MG logo)? I'm guessing it is complete as the MG light is on solidly, but I'm confused (easy, I know) due to the word "complete" in the app. I'm thinking I might stick it back on charge tonight, even though it's complete and I haven't done any miles, to see what happens, but would appreciate any advice/experience of others. I realise the equalisation charge could take many hours to complete. TIA :)

OK, so as I'm not using the car very much at all due to lockdown, but actually charging it last night, I have a question; once the car has charged and the MG light on the charging port stays on all the time, it's doing an equalisation charge. The ev.energy app for the Rolec charger says that charging is complete, which it is, however how can I easily tell if it's actually doing the equalisation charge (other than the MG logo)? I'm guessing it is complete as the MG light is on solidly, but I'm confused (easy, I know) due to the word "complete" in the app. I'm thinking I might stick it back on charge tonight, even though it's complete and I haven't done any miles, to see what happens, but would appreciate any advice/experience of others. I realise the equalisation charge could take many hours to complete. TIA :)
While charging the MG logo will pulse slowly, until the car hit's 100%.
The status of the wall box should be displaying a green charge light on the front cover.
When the car hit's 100% charged, the MG logo will drop into a solid glow.
This is when the HV battery is commencing the balance process.
It is still pulling a charge of about 500 Watt's at this point from the box.
When the balance is complete, the car will send a signal to the wall box and it will stop the cycle and return the wall box to the ready state ( usually a blue light on the front cover ).

I bung it on Boost and leave it. App doesn't register the ongoing balance correctly.

Thanks both. I put it on charge last night, just left it on scheduled and this morning the MG light has gone out (didn't check the charger light, forgot as it was too cold outside!). For info, in Eco mode the car reads a range of 163 miles and battery voltage was at 456v immediately after disconnecting the charger.

Thanks both. I put it on charge last night, just left it on scheduled and this morning the MG light has gone out (didn't check the charger light, forgot as it was too cold outside!). For info, in Eco mode the car reads a range of 163 miles and battery voltage was at 456v immediately after disconnecting the charger.
If you are seeing 456 volts on your pack after a full charge / balance you are running pre 15th Jan BMS update then.
This subject has been covered widely on the forum.
A predicted range of 163 miles in these condition feels about right to me.

If you are seeing 456 volts on your pack after a full charge / balance you are running pre 15th Jan BMS update then.
This subject has been covered widely on the forum.
A predicted range of 163 miles in these condition feels about right to me.
Yep, it has the updates the car came with towards the end of last year and I've been reading the posts about the BMS update. Loathed to change anything as it all seems to work as it should, touch wood ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom