• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Error message on dash

BruiserNZ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
This error message has started to appear occasionally when getting into the car, no buttons or pedals pressed.

Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia Gadget

When I press the Start button the message disappears.

Is this normal?

Bruce

This error message has started to appear occasionally when getting into the car, no buttons or pedals pressed.

Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia Gadget

When I press the Start button the message disappears.

Is this normal?

Bruce
Doesn't feel normal - does the car show you the 12V battery level once started? (I know the MG5 does but unsure of the ZS - can you check with a multimeter before trying to start car if not?). I guess there are a few possibilities - either your 12V battery isn't taking or holding charge (need a new battery?) or the car isn't providing charge to the battery (unlikely as the battery would eventually have too low voltage to start the car - could still be a mechanical issue around the 'alternator' type component) - or something is draining your battery such as left on lights or some potential fault.

Might need a dealer visit though in case fault with battery or car rather than something left switched on / plugged in.

It certainly isn't normal but it's not necessarily indicative of a fault.
Do you use the 12V battery without the charger active very much?

Put it in ready mode with nothing else switched on and look at the 12v battery meter.
If it's showing 14v (6 bars) then the charging system is working, so the battery may be not holding its charge. If its showing less than 4 bars, the charging system is not doing its job.
I would try charging the 12v battery separately (or via a 7kW HV charger) and see if it brings it up and gets rid of the message.

Do you leave the car in aux! ( ie orange light on starter button) with lights heater etc on if so you are draining the 12volt battery. Best to leave in ready mode green light on starter switch.

It certainly isn't normal but it's not necessarily indicative of a fault.
Do you use the 12V battery without the charger active very much?

The car is parked in a locked garage, usually plugged into the 7Kw EOM Plus charger. Even then when I get into the car, without touching anything, that error message occasionally appears.

When I hit the Start button the 12v battery levels show at 13v in the bars at the bottom of the dash.

If you have a multimeter it would be worth checking the battery voltage before you open the door or press the 'Start' button.

You will then measure the 'resting' voltage which should be around 12.5 volts for a fully charged battery which is not supplying any load.

Do you leave the car in aux! ( ie orange light on starter button) with lights heater etc on if so you are draining the 12volt battery. Best to leave in ready mode green light on starter switch.
The one time I did that on mine, when I was messing with my dashcam settings, it shut the car off after 10 minutes anyway.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom