Estimated range increase

BatteryPowered

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

We have our standard range ZS EV since April and we like it very much. With the temperatures rising, the estimated range of the car increases also. It went from 320km after a full charge to 340km, 351 km and now it has been 369km! Love how it is still increasing 😄

96DD0DF2-1C70-4B4B-809B-7B949D18ACF5.jpeg

Are you resetting both of your trip counters regularly ?.
If you reset your accumulative range, you will get a more accurate predicted range on the GOM.
I have just charged to 80% last night on our LR and the App is reporting a predicted range of 224 miles.
This is because the trip counter has a few hundred miles displayed.
If I enter the car and reset the trips, this 224 miles will reduce to about 212 miles of range.
This inflated reported figure can catch you out, if you intended to make a long journey and you take the inflated figure as 100% accurate.
I always reset my trips, before making an unknown long journey.
That is why it is called the GOM !.
It’s a Guess-O-Meter ;)

If you reset your accumulative range, you will get a more accurate predicted range on the GOM.
I have just charged to 80% last night on our LR and the App is reporting a predicted range of 224 miles.
If I enter the car and reset the trips, this 224 miles will reduce to about 212 miles of range.
This inflated reported figure can catch you out, if you intended to make a long journey and you take the inflated figure as 100% accurate.
It’s a Guess-O-Meter ;)
If you reset it's not going to be more accurate, it won't have any history of your driving to base the range guess on. It will just guess based on a theoretical average driver.

It’s a Guess-O-Meter ;)
224 miles on a LR is good for 80%, works out at 280 miles, WLTP is 273 IIRC. (y)

224 miles on a LR is good for 80%, works out at 280 miles, WLTP is 273 IIRC. (y)
Hi @Kithmo .
I charged it up from about 39% SOC up to the suggested 80% SOC last night.
I will drop you an actual screen shot of what the App is reporting right now !.
Now remember that I have NOT reset the accumulative trip meter prior to changing.
If I HAD reset the trips prior to charging, this prediction of range will reduce to around 211 - 212 miles on the GOM.
I have had the car since the middle of March and done about 1,500 miles.
This is my regular ( ish ) charging pattern.
Bring the range down to about 30 - 40 percent then charge it back up to the 80% mark.
This works nice for taking full advantage of our 5 hour off peak rate.
By following this routine, this is plenty of range to suit our usage case.
I am keeping a mental note on what range the car predicts, when charging to the same 80% level each time.
I have not found it necessary to charge to 100% yet.
I feel I have done this enough times now, to report that charging to 80% with both trips reset, it reports back a predicted consistent range of 211 - 212 miles.
This is a good mixture of some short distance shopping trips, but with some higher speed dual carriageway and motorway work.
Some with HVAC used, some without.
Always in normal driving mode and Regen level 3.
I found this suits me just fine on the previous ZS EV and now on the LR facelift.
It feels strange at first driving the LR model, when looking across at the info screen and seeing all that extra range due to the larger battery.

6FCC701E-0EA1-4C54-9E90-60266832B015.jpeg

Just to confirm that resetting the trips does alter the predicted range, I have just taking these two shots.
In the first shot, this the reported / predicted range without the accumulative range trip reset back to zero.
It is making its assumption of range based on the historical data on how the car was driven prior to charging the car.
It estimates / predicts a range of 227 miles.

BA055B24-3199-4B12-B7F3-B18AB39302BD.jpeg

And here is the reported predicted range, when the accumulative trip had been reset to back zero miles straight away.
This second shot was taken 10 seconds after the first shot and the car has not moved an inch !.
Now it has no historical data now because it has been wiped clear when the trips where reset.
Now it is predicting 212 miles of range.
I make the point, that some people MAY consider that they have a over inflated range than they actually have.
Yes - Of course they are both a estimated, but the second one adds in a lot more range than the closer first figure.
If I am taking on a journey that I have never taken before, I like to start without a way over inflated figure to start with.
Each to their own I guess !.

66568774-23A3-4253-992C-ABB049E9DD08.jpeg

Hi,

We have our standard range ZS EV since April and we like it very much. With the temperatures rising, the estimated range of the car increases also. It went from 320km after a full charge to 340km, 351 km and now it has been 369km! Love how it is still increasing 😄

View attachment 8568
Is this a long range or standard range car. ? I am thinking of buying the long range 72 kwh battery car . Just comparing to the kona which we also run that giving use 466km consistanly through winter. My partner gets more as I drive with a lead foot. But I want something higher up and a bigger boot

Is this a long range or standard range car. ? I am thinking of buying the long range 72 kwh battery car . Just comparing to the kona which we also run that giving use 466km consistanly through winter. My partner gets more as I drive with a lead foot. But I want something higher up and a bigger boot
Ahem...

"We have our standard range ZS EV since April" :)

I charged up to 80% last night, now after 10miles today it's at 81% and few more miles added. Weird.

I thought that, you beat me to the post. Anyone know how long is the longest down/up hill in England is ? probably longer in Scotland?
The nearest to me is from the top of Blubell hill down to the Medway on the M2 about 2 miles

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom