Euro trip in MG5

KaloyanP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Good morning MG fellows, I am planning to travel from Doncaster to Bulgaria, where I am originally from, and back next summer driving our MG5. Just wondering if anyone else has done a Euro trip before, would share some tips and advice on how to make the journey smooth and easy.
Thank you in advance.

Good morning MG fellows, I am planning to travel from Doncaster to Bulgaria, where I am originally from, and back next summer driving our MG5. Just wondering if anyone else has done a Euro trip before, would share some tips and advice on how to make the journey smooth and easy.
Thank you in advance.

I'd get yourself a Shell Recharge/New Motion RFID. It's a bit pricey but it has good compatibility across Europe. Also look at a ChargePoint card as they also have good cross network access.

You may want to get a Euro plug to granny lead extension cable:

I'd get yourself a Shell Recharge/New Motion RFID. It's a bit pricey but it has good compatibility across Europe. Also look at a ChargePoint card as they also have good cross network access.

You may want to get a Euro plug to granny lead extension cable:

Yep also look at ModulEV Modular granny charger extension and travel adaptor system

You need a New Motion card (best in Belgium- Germany), Chargemap card ( France to Germany) and Electromaps (Spain & odd countries) cards plus the apps

Use Plugshare or electromaps or chargemaps sites to find the chargers & routes plan

Register on everything, add your address & cards before you go. Some you need to do 3 months before to get your RFID and get your details sorted. Have a print out of what works where so no panic on the day

When you do long distances ignore the GOM and instead use the actual miles per kw and percentage.

Starting the day at 100% you have 80% of the range to charger 1 that allows backup in case of issues. After that you allow 60% of range (20-80% charge) thereon.

If you have loads of chargers you can do 120 km/hr if they are sparse slow down to 100 km/hr. Rain impacts on range so slow down.

Some networks are dire or busy, others have multiple chargers & are reliable, the comments on those map links will help you and check whilst at the previous charger.

If you arrive & they're dead, check the emergency stop button, often you just twist & they pop out putting the charging station back in action.

This chap is an expert and did much of what you want to do in a 24kw Nissan van when chargers were rare.

Maybe we need a podcast on this?

I drove to Portugal via Santander last summer and will be going via France next summer.

Plan to see just how many countries I can visit in my MG5 when it arrives!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom